Compassion Fatigue - link added

• 18 Replies

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:03:24 AM »
Felt a bit mean writing this, might make some enemies - still, better out than in eh?

No tolerable recording available yet - but nearly there
Comments / critique welcome :-)

Compassion Fatigue

C              Fmaj13/C        C             Fmaj13/C
Images of anguish and abuse
Another hard luck story in the news
Someone else is suffering, another cry for help
Can I spare some change, can I contribute
Em9no5/D  G6             C                      G    
You             ask me if I have a heart of stone
   Am            Em                    G    Fmaj13  Em   Dm  G7  G7
I wonder if I have a heart at all

Another country fighting for their freedom
Trying to overthrow their rule
War children, staring from the screen
Rebels wanting weapons, can I send them please
But when they have brought their leaders down
        Am                            Em                G    Fmaj13  Em   Dm  G7  G
Do I think they’ll turn their anger on my town

chorus:
             F            Em Dm   C                     G   Am  
There’s always a disaster somewhere in the world
We keep on raising money, does ever do some good
             Dm                G7                   C      C
Another day, another place, another time

I’ve got a standing order for the national trust
Some children need my money for a brand new bus
They need to find a cure, will I make a pledge
Has someone launched a new campaign so they can raise the dead
You ask me if I have a heart of stone
I wonder if I have a heart at all

I heard there was an earthquake, the cities are ablaze
They’re putting on a show so millions can be raised
Some TV stars have made a film so all the world can see
How they help the victims and share their misery
Will you sing a song and make your record for free
Can you really make us laugh and make a plea

chorus
      F         Em  Dm               C               G Am
So why do you try to put me up against a wall
When my compassion is fatigued, I’m so tired of being appalled
        Dm                       G                    C           Em7/B   Am
This sad old earth has troubles, I got troubles of my     own
     Dm           G               C       G7    C
So why don’t leave me alone

Chords:  Fmaj13/C  x 3 3 2 0 0     G6  3 5 5 4 0 0   Em9no5/D  x 5 4 0 3 0   
Fmaj13  1 3 3 2 0 0      Em7/B  x 2 0 0 0      G7 3 2 0 0 3 2
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:12:58 AM by GTB »
GTB

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »
I don't think you should make enemies from this- personally I bet we all watch comic relief/children in need raise millions of pounds and wonder why the situations worldwide never seem to change, so although I have no idea what compassion or fatigue is, I think I can still relate to the song.
If I get my negative out the way then I can end on a positive so, the structure is slightly confusing because of the chords. Is there two different choruses or is the bit at the end a bridge/outro type thing?
But, that's my only negative! I really love those verses, I love songs that incorporate 'real things' (companies, products, brands, etc) like when you mention the National Trust and think there are so many amazing ideas in this piece (can I spare some change, turn their anger on my town, sad old earth has troubles, just to name a few).
Personally, and I don't think this is a negative- more of a tip- I think the chorus should rhyme or at least half rhyme, it's personal preference but I think it makes a song flow better and makes it more sing-along-able
But I think this is really great :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
Thanks for the great feedback Jess.  It is two different choruses yes, well spotted! I started with vvcvcvbc, which was far too long so I cut down to vvcvvc when I spotted the bridge fitted over the chorus pattern (plus 1 line).  The chords may look different but actually sound pretty much the same.  As for the non-thyming 1st chorus, hmmm, that's the only bit still niggled at me a bit...
GTB

Sellon

• Open Mic
  • Disregard Everything I Say...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »
Hey, wow dude..I have the exact same opinion, I find it funny how people feed into donating things not because they want to but because they think it makes them a better person, the only way we can really help people is to teach them how to help themselves is what I believe...give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day sorta thing
but anyway, back to the song, well, I gotta give it to you, this happens very rarely, but I would really like to hear this, that's how much i like it, you have a perfect balance of rhymes and non rhymes, it doesn't seem like you were trying too hard, and then the way you depict the whole thing just feels like....I really understand and can almost see it in my head if you understand? if and when you make this into a song be sure to send me a message or something.
What if we both just smiled at once?

Kayles86

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »
I like this song a lot, its relatable in many aspects there are so many charity events and adverts anticipating the public to delve into there pockets and donate and i like how you say "do i have a heart at all" well written
Kayles86 ★

people move,people change,like a rivers flow it never ends

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
Hey that's a good piece of writing. Understand the sentiment entirely but had to laugh at the singer having a standing order with the National Trust! Like that's gonna feed the displaced millions!

A little long but nicely focused. Looking forward to hearing it.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Dead Weight

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 12:17:37 PM »
Really like this GTB.

It's brutal in places, but has a good message.  Like TV stars finger-pointing too often at us, when the world should be pointing at those few despots who really cause all the wars and destruction. 

It doesn't repeat itself and is a consistent, good quality of lyrics.

Looks to be a heavy-rock style; don't know how the mosh-pit will take the line about the National Trust!  :D

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »
Thanks everybody, I'm really flattered and grateful for your comments and pleased that I appear to have got the message across I was aiming for - mainly thanks to some useful feedback on here for my earlier two songs (I listened ;D). 

Sellon & ShinyThang - I'll be recording this song as soon as I recover from a sprained hand (garden duties for the missus).  :'(

Dead Weight - 'brutal' is exactly how I felt writing it, you found the right word there!  I've been playing it rather wistfully on my 12 string acoustic but now you've got me thinking about a 'heavy rock' version too - has to be done (I'm a headbanger at heart)  ;D
GTB
GTB

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 12:04:27 PM »
Look at micro finance if you want to help ..i support this charity,,

Lend some money for a business start up...it gets paid back ,then u can reinvest or not.

http://www.deki.org.uk/

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 11:15:53 PM »
Good try SongsThatCry! - it's not that I'm totally uncharitable btw (not including National Trust).  I am planning a 'charity song' to post soon so I guess I'm a complete hypocrite really :-)

Anyway, I'll be adding a link to a recorded version of this song tomorrow (Thu 30th May).  Thanks to all who have added comments on the lyrics - much appreciated.
GTB
GTB

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 11:51:27 PM »
Recorded at last (heavy rock version may follow, in time).  I may have overdone the guitars a bit but hey, it's better than my singing ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/gtbr/compassion-fatigue-3

GTB
GTB

Dutchbeat

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 04:44:17 PM »
Ha, i just read the lyrics, i think they are very ok...

it is a shame you already have music for them, i would like to steal those lyrics  ::) ::) ::). I will listen to the music now

Dutchbeat

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 04:50:17 PM »
that sort of happy music makes it even more cynical.....but nice melody

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
Hi Dutchbeat,
feel free to use the lyrics on your own version if you like - any style - would be interesting :)
GTB
GTB

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »
Well written lyrics GTB. It flows nicely but I'd cut the lead parts a tad. They're good and well played but there's just too much sometimes and they draw attention away from the singing.

Only in a few places mind, but I found myself listening to your riffs instead of the words in a couple of places. That said, I am a guitar teacher so I may be wrong!

Well done mate,

Alan.