konalavadome

'Where Do I Belong' - working title

• 9 Replies

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »
Sometimes the world doesn't seem that colourful.

I can't see a use for this song but it insisted on showing itself -

https://soundcloud.com/alanstarkie/where-do-i-belong_working

'Where Do I Belong'

Give me strength, to belong
In a world that favours the strong
Give me life, I can live
Without fear of doing wrong

Hope is the enemy of fear
And fear is what we become
When love appears to disappear
Where do I belong?
Where do I belong?

I'm alive, but in grey
At the back of your mind
Dim the lights, you can see
But you don't want to find

Where do I belong........
Where do I belong.........
I'm trying to breathe but it just won't stay in
I'm trying to smile through a stupid grin
Where do I belong?
Where do I belong? Ohhh

I was born, long ago
Was it right to let me be?
Seen the good, been the bad
I just want to be free

Where do I belong........
Where do I belong.........
I'm trying to breathe but it just won't stay in
I'm trying to smile through a stupid grin
Where do I belong?
Where do I belong? Ohhh

Thanks for listening.

Alan.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »
Alan,
Class even against the odds: sometimes songs seem to have a life and reason of there own.
I really like the rhythm and chords of the verse - like the line about stupid grin. Not entirely sure about the 4th chord of the first part of chorus, which resolves well back into the verse. It seems a bit too obvious compared to the rest of the song, but you always prove me wrong after 2nd or 3rd play anyway..
Good album track
 :)
Neil   
songwriter of no repute..

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
Hi Alan,

I don't think you're actually capable of writing a crap song, I'd love to know how you write, melody first or do you play around on the guitar, or lyrics first....intrigued!!!

Great lyrics by the way, agree with the stupid grin bit, it's both the words and the rhythm of that line!

Good stuff
x

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 03:57:11 AM »
Very nice song .. Like it ..

cheers ..

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »
Love your idea of 'work in progress' Alan. I mean yeah, there's still a count-in and a pre-pitch check note on the vox and it ends a bit abruptly but it's still more finished than anything I do.

'Insisted on showing itself' that's interesting. Do you feel, as I do, that sometimes you have to get a song out of the way in order to let the next one through? I always feel I'm writing down what comes out in the order it comes out.

Anyway, This is a really nice sound. I feel if any part is really 'in progress' it's the lyric and the vocal which you don't seem to have given your best shot on this occasion. Not all that sure about the 'do-de-do whoa...' bit in that I'm not sure it really fits and perhaps um... some more words there? I know that sounds daft but I mean an extension to the hook but I can't think of one and wouldn't post it if I could.

From your own comments in the OP it seems you are already looking forward to the next song but I reckon you'll come back to this one. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon and for the rest of ... sorry!

A bit of lyrical and vocal tweaking and job's a good 'un
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 11:19:56 AM »
Neil - Thanks. That 4th chord made me think too but it sits happily enough now with me.

Flossie - Nice to see you back! I've got a cheap 'home' guitar I keep in the kitchen at home so all my song ideas start there! One vocal line hummed or with a single line with a little guitar bit and then we're off. Thanks.

Saeed - Thanks for dropping by  :)

ShinyThang - I have four other song ideas at the moment but this one has taken priority. Not intended but it's just the one with the ideas flowing. You're right - the lyric isn't finished in the chorus but I'm happy with the melody so I stuck it in there to give you an idea of where I'm taking it. I'll finish this before the other tracks. Cheers.

Alan.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
If this is WIP, then there's no hope for any of us ;D

You sing really well - one of those musical voices that sounds unable to be out of tune. I like the rise and fall of this - the contrast between the verses and chorus works really well. Superb bass as well - is that a real bass?

You seem to able to produce a succession of top quality songs beautifully played, written and recorded and they all sound natural, easy and unforced. Quite a talent, I reckon.

I think being called Alan has a lot to do with it  ;)

No suggestions for improvement. Grrrrrrr.........

Alan (a somewhat less talented one :'( )

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »
Montydog (spellcheck just tried to turn you into Minty Fog?!) -

Thanks Alan. Bass is real.

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 09:25:38 AM »
Hey Alan

Sounds pretty finished to me as well :)
You've got a good recording voice.
I'm a bit in doubt about the do-de-do woah as well. If you plan to tweak it a little, maybe add words in that part? But def. try and keep the melody. I really like it!

Greetings
SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
Oooh this is good, I wasn't expecting all that instrumentation, very cool..

The standard on here is just mind blowing, even in the WIP board, I'd say this is a finished song, and a very good one at that.

I'm sorry I can't think of any constructive comments, other than to carry on and make more songs like this :D

hab..