Anyone entered the UK songwriting contest?

• 10 Replies

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »
I'm considering entering this contest.

Is it worth it though? It seems that accolades in this contest are easy to come by.

Even if you don't win anything, you seem to still win some form of achievement award.

Has anyone here entered it before?

Alan.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:55:17 PM »
Hi Alan,

Yes, I entered 5 songs last year and had 2 semi-final placing's and a commended. They get many thousands of entries so to get a good placing is not easy. I'll be entering again this year. If nothing else, it's good practice and the trial period on SongU.com gives you a chance to pitch to publishers/producers for nothing.

You should do well; your material is very high quality and commercial.

Alan (another one).

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:32:49 AM »
Do you have to live in the UK to enter or is a 12000 km distance close enough??

yet another Allan.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:03:41 AM »
Thanks guys but remember - it costs $15 to pitch to 15 publishers/music companies on Audiorokit.

Quick update - it's actually £6.99 for 15 submissions per month
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:15:39 PM by Alan Starkie »

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 08:24:56 AM »
I have entered 10 songs in the last 2 years and earned 6 semi final spots and 3 commended

I think it's a complete waste of time and a money generating exercise and won't be entering again   >:(

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
Well well, I've just entered a song in the UK songwriting contest.

I pay via paypal and who pops up as the company running this contest? ...Broadjam.

I've just paid Broadjam £15.

I'm ok with entering this contest but I must admit, I have a slightly pissed off feeling of who it turns out is running it as I assumed it would be some kind of independent org I suppose....

>:(

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:11:40 PM »
i entered some songs in the past, and several other forumites did

there are several threads about this contest in the archives of this forum

i entered several songs in the past, i didn't get too far, and many people on this forum stopped entering this competition. I think last years winning entry was what made many of us back off, since we really thought the winning song was very mediocre, and also we noticed over the last few years that the winners don't seem to really get somewhere by winning....

this may sound like i am a bad looser, but it is very clear that the inventors of this competition get a lot of revenues from this, for listening to a song for three minutes for 15 pounds each...is 300 pounds per hour

but it was fun to compete and also we could compare our ratings between the regular forumites, and i hope you win, your music is far better than many of the winners in the past (in my opinion)

mhh...you almost make me want to try again  :P :P :P :P :P When is the deadline???  ;D ;D ;D

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:39:34 PM »
Lol thanks Dutchbeat.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 08:09:09 PM »
Going to enter this year for the first time, I mean what is there to lose- except the £15 entry fee, the problem for me is picking the lyrics to enter...
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 06:09:16 AM »
Well I was going to enter a few songs Alan, but now I know you're in the running .... ;)
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »
These 'competitions' seem like a great way of generating revenue for the organisers!

Call me old fashioned but I don't think you should have to pay to enter a genuine competion. The win for the organisers should come out the back end since (if it's any good) they get hold of some great material.

IMO charging up front suggests the 'win' for the organisers is the competion itself!