konalavadome

Audiosparx / PumpAudio / CrucialMusic - anyone used them?

• 4 Replies

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:39:36 PM »
I had an invite to use Audiosparx from AudioRokit. They're a publisher of sorts and so are PumpAudio / CrucialMusic.

Anyone had experience with any of them?

Alan.

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:03:41 AM »
I haven't used any of these, but a friend/musical colleague of mine in California has worked with PumpAudio and rates them pretty highly.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »
Thanks Stephen.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
My main worry with PumpAudio is that they only offer the writer 35% of the licensing. Publishing deals should be 50/50 splits between writer/publisher generally. These aren't real publishing deals as far as I can see.

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 01:27:34 PM »
I agree with Alan 35/65 is just plain WRONG for a 'publisher' who is not giving you any kind of advance, merely to list your song in their library.

The problem with a lot of sync/publishers is that in essence they are just libraries. They don't actively go out and sell your song to anyone, they just catalogue it and hope that someone might search though their database and find a track they like.

So long as the deal with them in non-exclusive then I suppose you have nothing to lose. You just need to be sure that you can withdraw your songs at any time (unless they've been placed). The worst case scenario is if YOU manage to get a song cut or placed through your own hard work, only for them to turn round and claim 65% for doing nothing!