hello from sunny Scotland! :-)

• 10 Replies

Calum Carlyle

• Busker
    • Calum Carlyle Music
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:39:15 PM »
Hello.

I'm a singer-songwriter based in Edinburgh. I've been part of the FAWM and 50/90 online songwriting communities for a few years, and found immense benefit in it. They write a ton of songs and everybody comments on each other's work. The only thing is that those forums are seasonal, and i am hoping that songwriterforum.co.uk will turn out to be similar, but all year round.

So, i've been playing music for about 25 years, and writing for maybe 20, i've been in various bands, always managing to miss my opportunities to get famous (or better, rich), and somehow my music tastes never jibe with the current trends, and my business acumen is not just non-existent but actually inadvertently self destructive.

As such, i've pretty much given up taking myself seriously as a musician or songwriter, and now i write songs and play music simply to alleviate the creative itch, though i'm still a perfectionist (and i'd still be perfectly happy to strike it rich too!)

I'm going to become a dad this year so my priorities will undoubtedly change, but not sure just in what way yet. I'm still active in an upcoming music project called The Urban Folk Crowd, which is an acoustic/folk/hip-hop/spoken word crossover, and i used to run live events, and a music blog, both called Edinburgh Unlimited.

If any of the rest of you are from Edinburgh or its environs it'd be interesting to hear from you, since there's a weekly songwriters-only open mic called Out Of The Bedroom i need to tell you about, and also it's nice to know people in one's own area too, of course (but of course, as well, i want to get to know people regardless of where they are, and that's why i'm here on the internet!)

So yeah, that's it, here's my website (below) if you'd like to listen to some new music, and i'll be here with the occasional new song, and listening to songs as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:41:13 PM by Calum Carlyle »
tons of eclectic music for you here -> www.calumcarlyle.co.uk

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 03:14:40 PM »
Hi, I'm new here myself so don't ask me where the loos are ;) Lots of talented peeps here with lots of good advice and tips. Hope you stick around. :)

Never heard of FAWN before so looked it up ... are they serious? ... 14 new songs in 28 days? .... Hmmm perhaps I will book next February off and go for it!

I think something went wrong with your link ... i found this http://fawm.org/fawmers/calumcarlyle/ but can't seem to get any of the songs to play.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
HI calum youv`e come to the right place.it`s not stop fun on here.

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »
Hello and welcome on board.I´m also new but can say that I enjoyed every time I spend here on the forum.For me the link http://fawm.org/fawmers/calumcarlyle/ works. Nice what I can hear there.Impressed of your own style.Like the unfinished song One More Thing 20 Feb 2013 and So tired best but have to take a listen again.
Welcome again and hope to hear from you soon.
Alexander
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:32:57 PM by fischermans »
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »
Welcome Calum  ;D

I am in Stirling which isn't far from Edinburgh  ;D

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Calum :)

Glad you decided to join our thriving little forum; I'm sure you'll be as hooked as the rest of us before long.

Tone :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »
welcome to the forum!

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »
Welcome Calum,

Yep, we're 'all-year-round'.

Enjoy

hab..

Calum Carlyle

• Busker
    • Calum Carlyle Music
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »
@ShinyThang, yes they're serious*, fourteen songs in 28 days. It's not a huge problem, actually, and not only is it great fun but you get tons of new songs out of it that you've writtn yourself, as well as a HUGE amount of new songs from other (often very good) songwriters to listen to and comment on, all in a very short space of time.

Re: the link, click the song titles and let me know if you can play them from the player on each song page.

@Kafla, i visited Stirling yesterday, for the first time actually, just for the day. It was small, but nice for a day out. :-)

@everybody, thanks for the welcome! Not sure how long it'll be before i'm actually writing aongs again (i tend to stop for a while following February!) but yes, i'll be here and around. :-)

--
* but not too serious!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:56:35 PM by Calum Carlyle »
tons of eclectic music for you here -> www.calumcarlyle.co.uk

beckyboberts

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »
Hi, I just checked your stuff out, really good. I "liked" your facebook page too. I am from Yorkshire but am going to be doing Edinburgh Festival this summer and would love to meet as many other writers and interesting people as possible so would be good to stay in touch with you.
Here's a link to my websites

www.rebeccaroberts.biz
www.becksandthebullets.com

becks

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 04:32:42 PM »
It's sunny in Scotland?!? I know where I'm off to...
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle