Setting Up a Home Recording Studio

• 6 Replies

tigerprincess

• Busker
« on: December 13, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »

My fiance and I are looking to record some music (just us two using various instruments/singing) and would like some advice regarding the equipment we need.

We've bought an iMac to use in the studio due to it being quiet and we are looking at using either Garage Band or getting Logic.

What we want is the following:

Mixing desk wise - (although it's not needed at the moment), we don't want to buy one that may not be good enough if things expand so would like a few channels that have direct outputs on each channel or something - is that the best way to go?

We would also need some kind of interface to go between the mixing desk and computer, preferably that can control the mixing controls on the computer once the audio has been recorded as well.

If anyone can offer ANY advice about what would be the best way to go, we would really appreciate it.

Thanks

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:20:05 PM »
It depends on how you plan on recording your music. Will you be using audio and midi, or just audio?
How many channels will you be recording simultaneously?
How many channels will you be recording in total?

If you're planning on recording one track at a time, then the need for a mixing desk is questionable, as Logic has a software mixer which is very good.

I would say the most important investments are your sound card, microphones and speakers.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

tigerprincess

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:01:43 PM »
Hi tone,

We will just be using Audio
At the moment, we're likey to be recording 4 channels simultaneously, but want the room to grow in the future.
We will be recording up to 8 channels in total.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:56:55 AM »
Hi
If you are just starting out and only interested in audio tracks, then I suggest you take a look at Reaper rather than logic as it is free and very powerful. I would also suggest cubase artist or something - to me cubase has always been better equipped for handling audio than logic (although Im sure many will disagree!).
To record simultaneous tracks, I suggest you look at M-Audio audio interfaces. Something like the fast track so you dont need an external mixer aswell.

The approach I took is a bit different - I have a good soundcard (audiophile 2496), very high quality but only 1 input to the pc. So I have an external mixer - as Im really only interested in track-by track it just has 4 inputs and of course these get bumped to 1 track when it goes into the pc. But it was much cheaper than the other route (I picked the mixer up off ebay for £16).

Probably you already have one (you didnt mention it) but a good microphone is paramount. I think the Røde NT1-A is a very decent mic for its realtively cheap price range (its what I use!)

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 11:46:29 PM »
Get a BR900cd ,they are the dogs, takes a while to read the manual though  ;D
Learner guitarist

Good.Times.Studio.Lincoln

• Busker
    • Good Times Studio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 07:49:37 PM »
If you've never recorded before, I recommend using GarageBand until you're REALLY comfortable with multi-tracking.   If you have experience in recording, totally go for Logic!  The midi samples are second to none and you will certainly not regret it.  A mixing board is not necessary at this time since you are just starting out.  While it might be easier to mix using the sliders, the wise thing to do here would be to save the money for a future date.  Logic and GarageBand give you digital sliders that do the exact same thing but you don't have to spend $3,000 -$15,000 on a mixing board worth buying.  As for an audio interface... I use a Motu 8 Pre.  I went through 2 of 'em before I got one that was consistent.  I would also recommend a PreSonus Interface that has the ability to record up to 8 tracks simultaneously.  The nice part about Motu, though, is that you can daisy chain multiple units together via firewire, so if one day you ended up getting another Motu, you could run up to 16 or 24 or 32 tracks at once etc.  I hope this helps!  Good luck on your recording endeavours! 
Tyler Larson
Head Producer/Recording Engineer
Good Times Studio, LLC - http://on.fb.me/pT64Tz

ric

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:38:02 AM »
Hi,

I set up a vocal booth a while ago, which doubles as a mini DIY studio

The computer is outside to reduce noise - I use Windows. I connected a second monitor to the pc plus second mouse and keyboard.

There is a music interface inside the studio for instruments and one outside for microphone. I had problems on bringing microphone and interface too close together. I built three letterbox type of cable vents into the bottom of the studio walls, so I have all the wires and plugs I need.

I can operate my mixing software [MixCraft] from inside the studio, and monitor on speakers or phones. There is also an analogue mixing console in the studio which I use as a preamp for microphones and electro-acoustic guitar.

The walls are paneled with hardboard and the spaces filled with insulating material (wool) so that cuts about 2/3 of the loudest sounds - enough to keep the neighbours smiling. The door is fitted with thick polystyrene panels on the inside.

Air enters the space through a large plastic duct pipe affixed to a nearby vent window to the outside world. Another pipe exits the studio where an extractor fan sucks air out of a window 10-15 feet away, far enough to lose all sound from the fan and after carefully positioning polystyrene sound baffles inside the hose pipe.

It took weeks of trial and error to iron out all these glitches after the unit had been prepared, but it's a great space to sing and record now, or use the electronic percussion or even the internet. But for serious 'sitting down to the computer' I switch to the main monitor outside the studio.

Hope this might help?

Ric