Can anyone recommend some good songwriting books

• 15 Replies

Revolver

• Busker
« on: April 13, 2013, 07:33:16 PM »
I've been reading songwritng secrets of the beatles which is tremendous, but I'm wanting to broaden me horizons a bit
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:36:19 PM by Revolver »

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »
You don't need a book to write songs :-)

Just be honest and write from the heart.

I know this is a review forum but who am I to say what's right or wrong in an original song?

If you write a song, then that's the original version and you're the original writer. Everything in your song is right. You created it from nothing. It's perfect. I'm just someone listening. The rest of the world has nothing to do with it.

Sorry I can't help but just believe in your own unique qualities that you put into YOUR songs.

Alan.

Revolver

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:03:36 PM »
I know what your saying

But I was meaning more on techniques, approaches and tricks of the trade type stuff,

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
Lol got the wrong end of the stick there :-)

Still, it's good to be passionate...

Revolver

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Lol

Your right what you were saying though :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 09:19:25 PM »
It depends what you want to achieve as the approach will differ

This is my favourite songwriting book:

6 Steps To Songwriting Success by Jason Blume

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Steps-Songwriting-Success-Comprehensive/dp/0823084779/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365883976&sr=8-1&keywords=jason+blume

It is very focussed on writing commercial songs so be prepared to read things like "the 1st verse should introduce the story, the pre-chorus should "set up" the chorus, the chorus should "sum up" the meaning of the song, the 2nd verse should develop the story, the bridge should introduce something new or look at the situation from a different perspective etc. etc."

Some people HATE "rules" in songwriting but we can't escape that there are "familiar" things that the general public tend to want to hear

This book will teach you these things

I often say it is good to learn the rules before you try to break them - and this book will definitely give you the "rules"

I think if you read books like this with an open mind you will be fine
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Revolver

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 04:25:51 PM »
Thanks boydie

I ordered this yesterday an should be coming tomorrow, th reviews for the book were good so I'll give it a try!

Cheers

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
I'm reading 'songwriting for dummies' and its amazing
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
"How To Write Songs On Guitar" by Rikky Rooksby is very good. I would recommend it if this is your chosen instrument.

theLostLad

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »
"How To Write Songs On Guitar" by Rikky Rooksby is very good. I would recommend it if this is your chosen instrument.

Its on Amazon with 'Look Inside' enabled. Just had a quick scan through and I may get this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0879306114

There are some used copies available for under a fiver.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 07:28:37 PM »
I've been following this thread with interest and to be honest I've got to say I'm skeptical about songwriting books in general. Sure you can pick up some general types but at the end of the day I find it is something that kinda comes natural and with time and these books are kinda written by people that at the end of the know f&$k all about writing songs that sell. I don't know the background of these 'authors' or musicians but surely if they knew as much as they profess they'd be writing hit songs rather than books about songwriting?

I also am skeptical about the idea that reading a book can make you infinitely better at something. For example I've read the autobiographies of many footballers, football mangers, singers and actors. They haven't made me a better footballer, singer or actor. I think people are limited to what they can pick up in a book. Besides if Bob Dylan or Paul Simon - two songwriters I admire hugely and who I would kill to have 0.0001% of their songwriting ability - released a book about songwriting how could that be replicated in todays market that differs hugely in nature, dynamic and general direction to the era these guys rose to fame in.

I kinda view these books as a 'catch penny' in the same way I view 'self help books' I think they are easy money for opportunistic people that prey on the desire of others to better themselves.

That said maybe if I did read one of these books I'd actually be able to write a half decent song and might actually have made a few quid from it. Enough said!!!! ;)   

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
Hello every body ..

My thought on this is ..since I'm a beginner . in writing songs .. I found it's like talking .. how you say something about something ..  if you mess someone .. what well you say .. how you are going to say it .. maybe it's not make scene .. does it .. and by the way English is not my language ..  ;D ;D ;D

I found read other masters work is great way to learn the phrasing .. symbolism .. simplicity .. there use of strange words .. all that is possible through reading lyrics of the masters like Lennon Dylan .. McCarty Simon Taylor .. all these guys wrote killer songs .. we all can learn from them .. put who you are .. is what you say the way you say it ... :D :D

Cheers ..

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 08:21:19 PM »
I've been following this thread with interest and to be honest I've got to say I'm skeptical about songwriting books in general.
Naturally, these books aren't quick fixes to becoming an overnight songwriting success, but they are really good for inspiration and starting points. You get to analyse songs that have already been written, look at different structures and it helps you with branching into different genres.
I got the quote in my signature from a songwriting book because I honestly started writing better songs after I'd read that quote- I guess it gave me more confidence and I started putting less pressure on myself to write well. I'll forever be grateful Jeff Boyle. Thank you Jeff.
But then again, I've had 'songwriting for dummies' for months now and I'm only about an 1/8 thought it. I guess I only read it when I need inspiration/help.
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
For an analysis of lyrics try Dylan's visions of sin. I borrowed it from the library and it dissects a number of Dylan' songs and what they say about sin. It doesn't tell you how to write but interesting just the same.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dylans-Visions-Sin-Christopher-Ricks/dp/0140073361/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373490958&sr=1-1&keywords=dylan%27s+visions+of+sin

There's also Songwriters on Songwriting, which is a collection of interviews with some of the greatest songwriters of the last 70 years or so. Not a lot of really technical stuff, but very interesting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Songwriters-Songwriting-Paul-Zollo/dp/0306812657/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373491115&sr=1-1&keywords=songwriters+on+songwriting

You can't really beat the songwriting secrets of the Beatles in my view. It just a question of using the book to listen to songs and then put all that knowledge down on tape.

diadem