tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 11:21:54 PM »
Hey Hab

I swear I was thinking Mumford & Sons before I read it in the comments. But not so much in a banjo & fiddle sense, just more the kind of energy they put out.

If I was producing this I'd go for arpeggio guitar while you're singing with strumming in between, some tasteful electronica, and an acoustic piano with bags of reverb on it. Some light percussion and you're done in my opinion.

I would try to avoid over-doing it. The melody and lyric stand up well with just an acoustic, so tread carefully.

I definitely don't hear this as rock, partly because it's in 6/8 which can be weird if you get too heavy.

But it's your song. Interested to hear what you boys come up with :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

calmlondon

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 11:23:15 PM »
This is like groundhog comment but defo keep it folk and delicate. Really lovely song. I'm not sure about the solid strumming all the way through, so dominant  - yet it kinda works - if you chop it up a bit.

I want to hear some trailing/spiraling melody to support the 'until she takes her own line' - and some contrasting instrument to swoop, and soar here and there.

Beaut uplifting song, very memorable.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:25:35 PM by calmlondon »

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 08:34:28 AM »
Girls and Dads eh..
Definitely o acoustic folk, it suits the meter of the way you sing it, its skips along nicely, slight Travis in their acoustic mode. Nice melody, which gets to you by the chorus. You might want to think about using the chorus structure as an intro with some lead - maybe tine whistle? An agree with point about counter melody - perhaps a female voice or backing vocals towards the end?
Have fun finishing it off.
:)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

joetattie

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
I don't want this to be a short review, but there's not a lot I can say.

Definitely keep this acoustic, It works so well with the vocals, I think a rock vibe would force a slightly different melody, because you won't be doing this brilliant strumming pattern.

It sounds quite a lot like the Decemberists I think. The melody, and the vocals are spot on, and the lyrics are wonderful, and vivid.

Great job, really. I really like this as it is!

terrysains

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 06:11:33 PM »
I love the way you have put the comet and the arrival of your daughter together, I think this is very clever.
I would say it is a love song so would go acoustic and not rock. I enjoyed every moment. Well done. Terry Sains

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »
Whatever you add to this keep it sparse and let the loud soft pervade. Allow the lyrics to take the fore and add complimentary, soft harmonies, soft oohs perhaps.

The chorus is lovely and is the selling point.

Mumford is a good touching point here

Alas, your workspace is very dead. I would want this produced airy, reverby, so perhaps emulate this of find an open space to record the guitars and vocals

Lovely track and strong melodies throughout
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 04:49:56 PM »
Hi Hab!

I too think you should go full folk with this one. Add a nice simple bass drum, some banjo maybe, a good and steady bass line.
And yes, I would also suggest you lose the nylon. Never been a big fan of the sound anyway, but doesn't really fit this at all I think.
Oh yes, and don't forget to go nuts on the harmonies ;)

SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 08:11:01 PM »
hi habitat,

very clever i got the mix of the comet and the little girl
 got a little girl myself so i know that feeling
 great strumming to

thanks for a lovely piece, keep it going...