konalavadome

The Girl with the Stars in Her Eyes (DEMO) - habiTat

• 22 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: April 11, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

I wrote this a couple of months ago and have asked Michael to work with me producing it. We are currently working on a different project but plan to begin this one soon. The trouble is we're not sure how to approach it, do we emphasise the acoustic guitar element or go rocky? All ideas are very welcome.

The lyrics are in part inspired by my daughter, and partly by the approaching comet expected in November.

http://soundcloud.com/whitewinter-habitat/the-girl-with-the-stars-in-her

She arrived on a comet
Took me by surprise
The girl with bright shimmering
Stars in her eyes

She gave me a smile
She blew me away
That comet was glaring
Turned night into day

People were staring
Watching aghast
As she dazzled us all
So quickly she passed

The girl
With the shimmering
Stars in her eyes
She opened my heart on
The day she arrived

The girl
Just a visitor
Can't say she's mine
I'm just a guardian
Til she takes her own line

Years they will pass
And the comet will go
Into the universe
Where nobody knows

When she returns
I'll be old I'll be grey
But she'll still be young
And we'll remember the day

The girl
With the beautiful
Stars in her eyes
Opened my heart
The day she arrived

The girl
Just a visitor
Was never mine
I was just a guardian
Til she took her own line

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:04:24 PM »
Hi Habitat,

For me I'd take the idea from the lyrics. You're talking about space - take the music otherworldly. Get some swirling synths and may be some relatively clean electric guitars in there. I'd go the whole hog and have flanged vocals here and there - but that may well not be your style.

Digger

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:07:15 PM »

I am not hearing a rock vibe here at all so wouldn't necessarily go this route

The rhythm is suggesting a more "Mumford & Sons" group dynamic for me - thumping drum, banjos, fiddles, loads of voices singing along etc. - especially during the breaks

That is what I heard
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 09:27:18 PM »
I have a little girl so this has me from beat one!

I love it. Mumford and Sons - definitely.

Maybe bring some high capo picking in midway or just high capo strumming to fatten the original acoustic part. Harmonies would also fit great in this song. Higher harmony in the second verse?

Simple single bass note in each 6/8 bar would work.

Fine as it is though tbh.

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 09:56:28 PM »
Very , very good Habi

I am getting Stones Roses type indie rock from this one

Love the lyrics  and the melody - this pure class ;D

I think you are strumming a nylon string guitar and that never sounds good IMO but I realise that this is a demo ???

Brilliant writing mate - I think you improve with every song ;D

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 07:16:30 PM »
ah nice strummy song from you! sounds like it could be a rocky number from you mind but i just love acoustic numbers! some cool lyrics in there especially i dig the chorus like fantastic that could be epic that chorus! ohhh no harmonies on this demo haha!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 08:47:32 AM »
Im with boydie I just dont hear it as a rock number. Lyrics are too strong for that and I also think your voice is so much more suited to folk. Deffinately want a bass and some drums throw in some banjo and mandolin some harmonies and your done. çourse thats easier said than done lol

Loved the lyrics and melody on this one. Be interesting to hear where you go with it.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »
I'm with serious fun - I'm thinking keep it acoustic and folky. The basic switch between the 2 main chords is great - it propels the song along and with the addition of other instruments you could build and keep interest. I think maybe an instrumental passage with different chords to give the ear a "rest".

Lovely lyrics, melody is sound. It has all the makings.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »
100 agree with others re staying clear of rock and going for the Mumford and sons sound. The strumming fits in well with the tone of the lyrics and gives it a 'nice' feel that IMO a rocked up approach would lose. I love the 'can't say he's mine' last two lines, deliver a real emotive punch with such simple words :)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
I don't think my comments are going to be very helpful, but I really liked it, I like the way it flows and the fact that it's about your daughter makes it personal. Lyrically I think the rhyming is great and your writing is so effortless but so good- the chorus is very strong :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 10:51:16 PM »
Hi  ;D...some niffty strumming there Hab ;D...don't think it's rocky though. I'm getting strings, keyboards, big choral backing....BIG production.  But I like 'the sound of music', so you might not want to listen to me ;D ;D ;D
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 11:51:42 PM »
Hi Habitat,

I think this song is awesome...I don't hear it as a rock song either...it seems like it should be a delicate song, maybe some finger picking guitar even and some spacey harmonies...either real simple or big production like Binladeda suggests with strings etc...the lyrics are great although the line 'so quickly she passed' kinda through me a bit...my immediate thought was that she'd died...you might want to change 'she passed to, it passed'...really great song...can't wait to hear what you do with it 8)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 11:54:17 PM »
Hi  ;D...some niffty strumming there Hab ;D...don't think it's rocky though. I'm getting strings, keyboards, big choral backing....BIG production.  But I like 'the sound of music', so you might not want to listen to me ;D ;D ;D
I love the 'sound of music' too...I played the part of one of the nuns in a local production a few years ago...it was awesome ;D

Dutchbeat

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 01:11:16 PM »
very good strumming, Habi, and a cool song, the chorus is very cathcy

but indeed, especially a deep bass and some fat string sounds would help to take this all the way home, in my opinion

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:12:33 PM »
It seems that the acoustic version is the favoured route forward  :)

Mind you a few swirling synths, delicately added to the mix, would bring out the spacey, out of this world, comet theme, without changing the overall feeling too much either.

I think you could also add much more emotion into the chorus: by flattening the chorus and taking it down the scale, so it becomes a little bit sad, more emotional - and this also fits the idea of a comet, because it arrives in a flash of excitement, but as it fades away, the emotion changes to sadness......