tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »
Ok

Here's what I think I'll try. One song every 2 weeks, no exceptions. Appoint another couple of mods so the existing team never feel overwhelmed. Rename the reviews forum to something like Feedback on finished songs and create a new board called feedback on works in progress.

Additionally to this, I'll amend the guidelines for posting, asking people to be specific about the feedback they're looking for, tell us about their goals, make the reviewers' lives easier, always post the lyrics in the thread.

I know people mess up occasionally, but this gives us the basis to remove threads when it's clear people haven't bothered to learn about our community first.

Then in a month or 6 weeks time, we'll reconvene and see how it's going?
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2013, 06:49:54 PM »
Thanks TONE!

It will be interesting to see what effect these changes have

Fingers crossed this is all that is needed but I think it is sensible to have a review in a month or so
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2013, 06:56:14 PM »
Excellent News!   ;D ;D

Great stuff Tone, let's hope these tweaks have the desired effect.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation

Dutchbeat

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2013, 08:09:42 PM »
sounds good, and to be honest
if these mod functions would be open, i would like to apply

but this will work, Tone

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »
Sounds like a good start to me. Gives us the opportunity to gauge the impact of these unintrusive changes and be avoid making anything too drastic.

I am sure we are all right behind you on this.

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2013, 11:47:32 PM »
change for the better is always good to keep this great forum ticking over  in good order, good stuff!

fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2013, 12:12:13 AM »
Ah, I've arrived just as the party has finished.

Looking over the discussion (and sorry I wasn't here to contribute, though I don't think I'd have had much to say) I agree wholeheartedly with the end result.
Defective Elector

Kafla

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
All sounds good  ;D

Looking for a little clarification around WIP and Finished as I am having difficulties getting my head round this

Very simply I would say that a WIP is a basic idea , rough lyrics, chords etc

and Finished means that you dont plan on working on the song further regardless of feedback

Is this correct?

Habi has said that most of his work will go in WIP and this confuses me as most of the stuff you post is to my ears finished - complete lyrics , chords , final vocal take etc

Otherwise whats the point in finished- is it just for professionals i.e. Nighthawk, Boydie, Perseverance

I just want to get my head round this - hope this makes sense ???   

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »
@kafla. Erm yeah, I guess it's open to interpretation, I think you're right in what you say, we do need to make it a bit clearer. I'd regard a lot of my posts as wip because they are often early takes of ideas before I've properly figured out the way it should be sung etc. I like to share the idea in its early stages for opinions and guidance from you guys.

Maybe the finished section should be for that song you're really happy with and will not return to, whereas wip will be for anything that the poster regards as an ongoing project, that they feel needs improvement and assistance.

There will be a certain amount of crossover I guess, when is a song ever finished?

Having a finished songs board should provide space for the less regular members who only appear to post their latest studio production.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2013, 09:32:35 AM »
Kafla makes a good point about WIP and finished stuff. I think most of us start with a rough outline on guitar or piano with just a vocal and then work that up to something that is as good as we're going to get it as amateurs. I think everything up to that point would be WIP and then once it's as good as we think we can get it, it goes on the "finished" page. Comments on mixes, flat vocals etc. can be taken on board and sorted by a remix or re-recording a part if the poster realises that something isn't as good as they think they can get it.

I would think that comments on the quality of the song, lyrics, melody etc. would be more appropriate to the WIP section and comments on the production, mix, singing, playing etc. would be more appropriate for the "finished" page.

Just my 2p...........

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2013, 10:07:48 AM »
I agree that there is a lot of overlap but I think things will "shake themselves out"

For me the "definitions" are:

Work In Progress

The following would be typical WIP posts for me

I have written this chord sequence and melody but it sounds familiar - does anyone know what it is?
I have written the verse and chorus - does it need a bridge?
Here is a vocal and guitar – should I add drums/strings/kazoo?
Here is the song I posted last week and I have now added a bassline?
I have got to this point and I am stuck - anyone fancy a collab to help finish it?
Is this song too long – what should I consider removing?
I have taken on board comments from the "finished reviews" forum and re-worked the song a little - what do you think - better? worse?
Is this song good enough for a commercial pitch? – what do I need to add?

The "Finished Reviews" forums should be reserved for the "best shot" at the track - either following feedback from the WIP forum or your own "finished" song

Everyone's "best shot" will be at a different level and I would certainly not want to see the “finished” reviews forum becoming "elitist" in terms of songwriting or production

e.g. a guitar and vocal could just as easily be one person’s “best shot” and another person’s “work in progress”

This is absolutely fine and by splitting the forums we can give appropriate advice – e.g. in the “finished section” there might be comments such as “this does not work as a guitar & vocal for me because…” whereas in the WIP forum the comment could be “you could consider introducing some strings at 1.42 for the second chorus and some harmonies on the bridge etc.)

I would also like to see “re-works” of songs that were posted in the “finished” forum being re-posted in the WIP forum – with a link to the re-work in the thread pointing to the WIP forum

This will also help slow down traffic in the “finished” reviews section and prevent posts like “here is a song I posted last month and I have remixed it”

I have songs I have changed following feedback but didn’t want to post it to “bump” an older thread – but would love to get feedback and I would also want to hear other people’s tracks re-worked following feedback

For me, the WIP forum is where these should sit
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:10:45 AM by Boydie »
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
All sounds good  ;D

Looking for a little clarification around WIP and Finished as I am having difficulties getting my head round this

Very simply I would say that a WIP is a basic idea , rough lyrics, chords etc

and Finished means that you dont plan on working on the song further regardless of feedback

Is this correct?

Habi has said that most of his work will go in WIP and this confuses me as most of the stuff you post is to my ears finished - complete lyrics , chords , final vocal take etc

Otherwise whats the point in finished- is it just for professionals i.e. Nighthawk, Boydie, Perseverance

I just want to get my head round this - hope this makes sense ???   

Finished: yes, anything you aren't gonna work on anymore

WIP: Everything else. Doesn't matter how 'complete' the production sounds, if you are still working on it, then its not finished  :)

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »
Think this is an excellent idea, looking forward to the new improved forum!