konalavadome

Pretty Girls

• 11 Replies

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« on: March 25, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »
I find it hard to write songs with meaning, hence why most of my previous postings (i.e. reasons why I hate California) have been more fun, not-serious lyrics. So, this is what happens when I write a song that means something to me.
I'm growing up in a very shallow society, where your face is everything and nobody looks any deeper, and that makes me sad, so I wrote about it and worked out some chords out on my guitar. Feedback would be much appreciated.
(And by the way, the first line isn't anything sexual- our new uniform came with knee length skirts, hence why everyone rolls them up)

Pretty Girls

(Verse 1)
How many more times can I roll up my skirt, without breaking down?
And how many more meals can I skip before, my smile burns out?
Cos society’s put such a pressure on me, to look just like
All those women who wake up and break a million hearts, without even trying

(Pre-chorus)
Treat the hallway like it’s a catwalk
Before it was just a place for my locker
But oh- how lows my self-esteem gotta be-
For you to see?

(Chorus)
I’m not one of the pretty girls
I’m not the natural beauty, next in line for Vogue magazine
I’m not the prom Queen nominee, pin-up poster wannabe

(Verse 2)
How many more times will I hear the skinny ones moan about their waistlines?
Or pretend their insecure to attract any attention they can find?

(Pre-Chorus 2)
Treat the classroom like it’s a salon
Though it was home to my education
But no- deprioritise me-
Cos I’m ugly?

(Chorus)

(Pre-chorus 3)
Treat the hallway like it’s a catwalk
And you strut down it like your model
But oh- what does that make me?
Your paparazzi?

(Final Chorus)
I’m not one of them
I’m not one of them
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Chris_lightless

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:10:08 PM »
i´d really like to hear that song ... lyrics are great ... like " But oh- how lows my self-esteem gotta be-
For you to see?" the most  dunno why just hit me ...
pure hearts are meant to bleed

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »
I thought this was really good Jess! I thought the chorus was really strong, especially the last two lines or so of it! Also the pre chorus were very good.
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

gambleranonymous

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »
I liked it. Would be great to hear a melody.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »
Glad you all like it, still get nervous when posting new stuff, especialy when it's personal :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Dead Weight

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »
Hello Jess,

Some proper good lines in this one, like the hallway being a catwalk, and your smile burning out.

Be careful though not to get to the point to quickly, during the verses, save that for your chorus.

So, if I may be so bold, you could continue the 'How many' concept, as per the first two lines on Verse 1, e.g. somewhere along the lines of:

How much more pressure can you put on me look and feel right
How many hearts can the prom queens break, without even trying

Sorry if I'm overstepping a mark, but I see a good song here. ;D

Cheers

DW

calmlondon

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:06:09 PM »
Hi Jess,

These are vain, shallow times indeed. I can't think of any songs which tackle what it must be like to be a teen girl now - I mean real viewpoints. That honesty is missing from the charts, so I'm pleased to see you take on the subject but sad to know you're living it. Honestly, the current style of women is streetwalker, and you hardly see girls with class in or out of the media. The tide will turn back towards natural and normal looking and you should be part of that rebellion - through your music. 

Back to the song. I would actually turn the spotlight away from you and the 'ugly' label - for the very reason that society is in the grip of a very skewed image of what the female should look like. Always has been.   What is beauty Jess?

Strong potent lyrics here! Good job.

Missseventeen

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:47 PM »
Wow this song is great, you can really feel the emotion!
I love the chorus it hits home and is catchy, I'd love to hear this with music

Keep the good work up
Miss seventeen

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:07:11 AM »
I loose wifi for a couple days and i come back and so many people have commented I'm so grateful :)
deadweight ill take on board what your saying and I might do a bit more playing around with it- I literally posted this quite soon after writing it
And about using the word ugly, it wasn't a word I really wanted to use but I couldn't think of another word to rhyme with 'me' that fitted what I was trying to say, so ugly is like my temporary dummy word
Thanks again

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
I love this piece. Again I'm getting that Lilly Allen vibe that parodies the modern way of living from this one. This lyric is so unbelieveably clever, it delivers quite a scathing attack on the 'pretty girl' world we live in but in a very artistic way. The use of rhetorical questioning is genius IMO and probably says a lot more than simply lambasting the 'pretty girls' ever would.

The lyrics are incredible whether that be the bit about pretty girls breaking a million hearts without even trying, the class room being a salon or the hall way being a cat walk.

The pre and chorus flow so nicely. I really want to 'hear' this one (please don't keep me waiting too long!!!! :) )

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »
Wow your comments are so overwhelmingly amazing I'm so grateful thank you :') my eyes are happy-tearing up x
But, as for music...I have a melody worked out on guitar but we're talking BASIC chords here plus I don't sing so I can look into making a proper melody but we may have to wait a while...

prideandjoy

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 11:08:56 PM »
Way to go! Theres so much pressure on girls to look good and its all about the outside- starts very young and you've captured that. Media and attention seeking- I liked that in your lyrics. Haven't read your other work but this is decent