Making an album

• 13 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:05:07 PM »
Every now and then I look back at my recent songs, mostly unfinished demos and think to myself, "I've got enough for an album's worth there". In the past I've just lumped all those recordings together, made a cd and cover, and that was that, I've moved on to the next song, and so on, until there are about 12 that I quite like, and the same thing happens, burn a cd, done.

Now, this is ok I guess, it's a good chronological record of my progress but I never listen to them and neither does anyone else, because they are basically an unfinished, rushed collection of unrelated demos.

One day, I'd like to make a proper album, something I'm proud of, something I'm comfortable giving to friends. It'll need to be professional sounding and have continuity throughout.

My question is, should an album have a common theme running through the songs? Or is it more important to just gather up your best songs, regardless of theme and general feel?

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:08:17 PM »
Yes :D

My question is, should an album have a common theme running through the songs? Or is it more important to just gather up your best songs, regardless of theme and general feel?

No it does`nt matter ....i think the songs can be fairly random.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:10:55 PM by songsthatcry »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:30:29 PM »
It depends really

For me an album should have a consistent "feel", with 1 or 2 curve balls thrown in for impact

If it is a mismatch of totally unrelated stuff the album could feel disjoined - if everything is the same it could feel a bit boring/samey

It is so hard to put in to words - a guitar and vocal only track can have the same "feel" as a fully produced track without sounding the same

Same with the theme - consistent with a few curve balls would be my suggestion

The order of tracks is really important to set the dynamic of the album eg start with a punchy track, followed by another high energy, slow things down, speed them up

There are lots of different approaches - I would suggest really studying your favourite albums ( and albums similar to how yours might turn out) to see how they have done it - there are definite patterns of what songs go where in different genres

There is no right or wrong but you should find a natural order
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »
Something on of my lecturers once said to me - a real bob dylan fan:

"An album is a snapshot of where an artist is at that time"

Take what you want from that. But thematically, I don't know. Running order is important. Cohesion is important but as Boydie says, it should still vary. I hope I got it right with my release recently.

If you are aiming for your first "proper" album, I would definitely aim to cherry pick your strongest demos, and then play around with track order, before booking the studio.
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »
one thing to bear in mind are the keys of the songs, mix them up..
restrict yourself to ten songs max...i reckon albums are much too long these days..
try and think of it as a performance, or a movie with a start and an end.
keep things happening building to a pay off and satisfying conclusion, like a song !
as boydie said, a natural sequence should emerge..
like a good book, gotta to keep us turning the pages
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Kafla

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 09:34:07 AM »
I wouldn't put your 10 best songs on an album

I like the idea that an album captures a period in your life - like a bookmark

Greatest Hits are not really albums are they - just a collection of songs

I know what I mean ???

Why not set out to write an album from scratch - around a loose theme

I have toyed with the idea of putting this on the forum - pick 2 months and have every participant record an album and we can all review it  :-\

I have always fancied doing an acoustic album - collection of songs with just guitar, piano - very basic
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:35:45 AM by Kafla »

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:01:51 PM »
I wouldn't put your 10 best songs on an album

I like the idea that an album captures a period in your life - like a bookmark

Greatest Hits are not really albums are they - just a collection of songs

I know what I mean ???

Why not set out to write an album from scratch - around a loose theme

I have toyed with the idea of putting this on the forum - pick 2 months and have every participant record an album and we can all review it  :-\

I have always fancied doing an acoustic album - collection of songs with just guitar, piano - very basic

Yes yes yes! :)

I'd be up for that, just my kinda challenge.

I can imagine what others will say though "two months, a whole album from scratch, you're mad"

I'm in kaf if you're up for it.

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 02:00:31 PM »
I am up for it  ;D

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
I don't think an album needs a specific theme running through it...or even a specific genre (listen to any of the beatles' later albums).
But I think it does need a specific 'feel'...
Recording everything together (i.e. in the same group of 'sessions') can help achieve this as you are, like other people have said, capturing your mindset at that moment...
Likewise then mixing everything together...

An interesting way to look at an album is as a whole - it is 'one' piece of art rather than a collection of songs. Brian Wilson took that to the extreme with 'Smile'....Joanna Newsom also did that with 'Ys'

But then, it doesn't have to be like that. Drawing from what I know...Fleet Foxes 1st album sounds more like a collection of songs than the 2nd album (which seems more like they were concentrating on the 'whole' aspect) But I think I actually prefer the 1st album...

Capturing the same 'feel' I think is important...

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 02:21:34 PM »
I am up for it  ;D

Cool :)

This should definitely fit what Ram just said then, as it will need to be written and recorded 'in one' session as it were, two months being the snapshot timeframe.

So what are we saying, write and record an acoustic album (8 to 12 songs) with a rough central theme, all in two months? Not a competition, more a challenge.

Kafla

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »
Yeah!

It would also be really cool if those that didn't want to do it offered to help us with the odd track - so a guitarist could sign up to play guitar if we needed it, bass player , synth etc

That way more could get involved and it wouldnt be too onerous for the 'expert'

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
Yeah!

It would also be really cool if those that didn't want to do it offered to help us with the odd track - so a guitarist could sign up to play guitar if we needed it, bass player , synth etc

That way more could get involved and it wouldnt be too onerous for the 'expert'

That sounds like a plan then :)

When can we start?  ;D

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »
I won't be doing it, but I'm happy to be involved with what you want...

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
I'd be happy to offer my services on dobro if anyone wants that mournful slide sound on their song. I simply don't have time to write over one song a week for the next 8 weeks  :'( It would take me that long to record 10 songs that I had written and ready....which I do have ......almost :)