Does anyone have a recording contract?

• 14 Replies

Mackofficial

• Busker
« on: March 07, 2013, 11:17:31 PM »
HI guys,

I'm still fairly new to this site but am now totally hooked, there is so much talent and such great community on here.

I know many of you are purely writers and therefore not pitching as an artist. But does anyone have any experience with record companies in the last few years?

I have just read the thread about publishers (which I found really informative, so thank you!), I'd love to have my songs published by my absolute dream would be for someone to like my voice and songs as a package - plus I'm not sure I could ever write Bieber styles stuff!

Any experiences you could share would be hugely appreciated.

Mack
https://soundcloud.com/mac-uk

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 08:05:15 AM »
Hi Mack,

My band signed a recording contract in 98.

It was with Jimmy Ruffins brother, Bruce. Nothing was ever nationally released but the songs ended up on Charmed, Buffy the vampire slayer and other shows I can't remember.

Before that, we rehearsed/gigged/recorded looking for a manager, eventually finding one in Manchester.

It is different today tbh because of the Internet so I don't know if its still relevant, but think about a manager or someone to represent you while you get on with the creative/performance side.

Alan.

Mackofficial

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »
Thanks for the insight Alan, really helpful as usual.

Cool that you had your tracks on such huge shows!

Once I have my demo really up to scratch I will get in touch with some managers to see if anyone (credible) is interested in representing me.

Mack

JazzyRoy

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:45:34 AM »
I was am wondering, if you sign a contract with your band.does every group member have the same rights? or are there differences? and for how long is the contract?
"Play that funky music white boyy!" - James Brown

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 12:16:28 PM »
JazzyRoy -

Sorry but I can't actually remember any of the contract details (long time ago and the band split about six months later).

I do remember that we didn't get an advance though!

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »
I think band members have their own contractile agreements..or with each other....although look at the Smiths and bands where it wasn`t so clear and they end up in court...

I knew a guy called Mike who was in a band called Fractured Valves i believe....they signed with EMI in the post punk era...got a big advance..to buy equipment and that...but he fell out with them over being told to do cover versions for the first yr,,his manager stitched him up..anyway to cut a long story short ..he left..which didn`t go down well with the band....basically they were going places...

didn`t pay the advancement back though ..£36k

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
I often can't help wondering if advances are largely engineered by managers to bring in some revenue to reward themselves for getting the band through the difficult journey to being signed.

Yes it's useful to the band, but if they managed to last the pre-signed era without much cash, they can probably last the post-signed era on a modest allowance until they start selling records/ concert tickets.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 02:36:13 PM »
I think record companies tend to work on a renumeration basis per recording sessions now.
The company would then own the copyright of those recordings and pay the artist royalties on the sales. They could be sneaky and slip in ways to 'water down' these royalties such as packaging reductions.
Of course, you can follow the route of some modern bands and try to use sponsorship/product endorsement as a means of funding your activites and avoiding excessive debts to various associates..
Nataly Dawn is being sponsored by hyundai on her tour I think...they provided her with a couple of nice cars to drive around in and I think are paying for hotels...

A management contract would typically have the manager taking a percentage commission of your earnings. If you are wise, you would make sure your money is going straight to an accountant and he takes control of dividing up the money, rather than letting all money go through the manager..

I suppose record companies working on a renumeration basis also prevents managers from taking hefty checks out of an advance :)

These so-called 'lean times' depend upon your perspective...

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »

My band signed a recording contract in 98.

...I wasn't even born then :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 08:10:25 PM »
Seriously Jess?  :o

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 06:10:55 PM »
Yep, 1999 was my year :D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »
Deals vary massively. For a 'new' band I'm seeing advances of £50k-£100k at the moment in the UK (and remember that's effectively a 'loan' against potential future sales so basically you should budget n it being the ONLY money you'll receive for at least a couple of years.

Most of the deals are for 1 album, with an OPTION for the label to extend to 2 or 3. People (and the media) often see this as a multi-album deal but in reality it's not- the label will not extend if the first album sells well. In pop ive seen a few 2-singles deals offered-but from the artists perspective they're a really tough choice since they usually lack any real commitment from the label.

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 09:14:15 PM »

Waw, you're only 14? :o
I hadn't even touched my first guitar at that age. (Not that I am saying I'm old now, but still... :p )
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »

Waw, you're only 14? :o
I hadn't even touched my first guitar at that age. (Not that I am saying I'm old now, but still... :p )
Firstly, look how many quotes are in this box (!) ;D
I started playing guitar 6 months ago, I thought I was too old to pick it up but apparently not :)
Sorry, I feel my age has ruined this topic... :-[ ;)

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
You can begin playing guitar at any age if you have the desire to. I started at 19.