improving your lyric writing

• 9 Replies

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« on: November 22, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »
Just been looking through some of my earlier efforts....shocking.. ;D

Some on here might think i`m pretty good..but it wasn`t always the case..

How about `the play station song`!!

or this gem of a verse from `Jakes crazy daughters` ???

`the higher i jump
the further i fall
i land on my head
and i can`t recall
feeling so small``

practice makes perfect is the motto i guess.

And try writing different styles ..write from the perspective of the opposite sex even...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:46:52 PM by songsthatcry »

DonMar

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
I can relate entirely.  :D I positively cringe on reading some of my earlier lyrics.  :P

Since the end of this summer's 50/90 challenge, I've been doing a heap of revising - not only of lyrics written during the challenge but from earlier ones (and FAWMs) as well. At least I've been able to salvage a line or two here and there to create something new.  ::)

Donna
Life is too important to take seriously.

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Sunfighter

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 01:43:25 PM »
I had written about 7 songs before I went back to University 2 years ago.  Until then my lyrics had been very loosely about me, but could be about anything that seemed like a good idea for a song.

After going back to university, and all the self-exploration that went on during my extremely intensive course, all my lyrics are 100% "heart on my sleeve" autobiographical.  As a result I think my writing has improved 100% to what it was before (just my opinion of course).

It can be daunting spilling your guts onto the page though.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 03:09:12 AM »
practice certainly does make perfect, but you might want to try surrounding yourself with new lyricists as much as possible. people who have really helped me develop my lyric writing in the past are Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes (specifically his later BE albums and solo work - super personal, very deep spiritual and cynical undertones and some intense and beautiful imagery) and Kevin Barnes from of Montreal (if you can get through your first listen, take a look at 'The Past Is A Grotesque Animal' - it's a confessional titan of a song). obviously the greats like Paul Simon, Bob Dylan etc. are fair game as well.

try reading a shit tonne of poetry. i tore up plath, larkin, eliot, ginsberg etc. for a year or two in school and i certainly noticed some improvement.

most important of all of course is don't try too hard. 
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 02:21:38 PM »
I also think it's important to not try and copy the styles of other lyricists. Let them influence you to whatever degree you choose but avoid falling into the trap of 'no, that's not something [artist] would write'. basically, let yourself develop your own style, and expect that style to change over time.
Defective Elector

Saeed AlSuri

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 03:33:40 AM »
You people are out of my liege I just started 4 months ago .. thanks for the tips though ..

makingasong

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:08:31 PM »
Haha, yeah, that was pretty bad ;)
It's not that the rhyming is bad in itself, but the text has to mean something, or at least sound like it means something. No one wants to listen to "Pick up my shoes, play some blues", you know?

Paul Raz
http://www.makingasong.com/

noctu

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 12:54:26 AM »
I also think it's important to not try and copy the styles of other lyricists. Let them influence you to whatever degree you choose but avoid falling into the trap of 'no, that's not something [artist] would write'. basically, let yourself develop your own style, and expect that style to change over time.
THIS.
No one wants to listen to "Pick up my shoes, play some blues", you know?
Some people do, depends on the song and de people performing it I think.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:57:03 AM by noctu »

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »
I can relate entirely.  :D I positively cringe on reading some of my earlier lyrics.  :P

Definitely -- Same here. It does make you wonder wonder what you'll think of your current songs in the future though, doesn't it  :)

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »
I had written about 7 songs before I went back to University 2 years ago.  Until then my lyrics had been very loosely about me, but could be about anything that seemed like a good idea for a song.

After going back to university, and all the self-exploration that went on during my extremely intensive course, all my lyrics are 100% "heart on my sleeve" autobiographical.  As a result I think my writing has improved 100% to what it was before (just my opinion of course).

It can be daunting spilling your guts onto the page though.

I think that's great. To put a whole new life perspective into your writing is a great thing. Definitely scary too :)