konalavadome

Written a song I can't play

• 11 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:10:53 AM »
Hi, I've been working on a new song now for about a week, lyrics are written and I've composed the melody on my guitar. Trouble is, the finger picking I've devised is a bitch to play. I can do the parts separately but can't string it all together for a single take. I'm sure with practice I'll get there, I just wondered if anyone else has faced this? Did you change the song to make it easier? Practice until it was nailed, or give up?

I realise I can record the separate parts and tack it all together, and may have to, but I like to record in one take for certain songs, this being one of them, ironically, because its so complicated.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:36:12 AM »
Hmmm...

First idea that comes to mind

CAPO!

Try a capo if possible, and see if moving the chord shapes enables simpler fingering. This has saved me before when I have written something that i would otherwise failed to play and sing live
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:23:06 AM »
Hmmm...

First idea that comes to mind

CAPO!

Try a capo if possible, and see if moving the chord shapes enables simpler fingering. This has saved me before when I have written something that i would otherwise failed to play and sing live

Yeah, it's more the other hand that's the issue, switching picking patterns quickly and fluidly. I've tried it again this morning and I think it's sinking in, strange how the brain works, I might try recording again later :)

I can normally play what I've written straight off but this one's tricky  :-\

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
A capo is a good suggestion

Is it the "picking pattern" or the "chord shapes" that are giving you problems?

Can you find a different voicing for the chord shape? Perhaps including some open strings?

Unfortunately I think your best option is going to be practice, practice and more practice

I used to teach guitar for a few years so I would give this advice for your practicing:

Always play the whole piece at the speed of the most difficult part

What I mean by this is try to play at a CONSTANT speed for the whole piece

You do not want to practice in a way where you play the easier bits fast, slow down for the difficult bit, and then speed up again for the easier bits etc.

Slow EVERYTHING down and get a constant rhythm going where you play everything at a steady pace, THEN try to gradually speed everything up to the required tempo

This will help you learn the song and also maintain the rhythm, I have heard people play countless times where they speed up and slow down depending on difficulty and it is a habit that is difficult to shake if it becomes ingrained

It is fine to practice just the diffiult sections but make sure it is a constant speed

Good luck!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »
Don't worry Hab, I do this ALL THE TIME. I'm always writing songs I can't play or can only play badly. It's a habit I can't seem to kick :D

Practice till you've nailed it. It's the only way to do it proper justice, and as a side-effect, you become a better player in the process :)

Good luck mate
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »
I nearly always capo acoustics. Even if one isn't, another will be. Tone is far sweeter with a high capo. (Not you Tone...) although you're probably a very nice guy. This has gone entirely the wrong way....

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »
In this instance the capos already on fret 3, I totally agree the tone is sweeter. It was the picking pattern I'm struggling with, pushing myself to play more complicated patterns. Gonna try again tonight, with a clear head and fresh hands :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
Also, remember "practice makes PERMANENT, not perfect"

You need to be practicing the right things, which is why it is so important to be consistent in the rhythm/tempo

Start off nice and slow so that everything is right and then speed up from there

This is soooooooooo important for picking patterns and fingerstyle guitar playing

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:24:46 AM »
Also, remember "practice makes PERMANENT, not perfect"

Ooo. I like this quote. Big up yoself Boydaaaaaa!

I nearly always capo acoustics. Even if one isn't, another will be. Tone is far sweeter with a high capo. (Not you Tone...) although you're probably a very nice guy. This has gone entirely the wrong way....

Nah... I recon he is a right Cu....  ::)

;D
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 09:51:51 AM »
Ooo. I like this quote. Big up yoself Boydaaaaaa!

LOL - it was talking about teaching guitar that bought all of these "nuggets" back - I've got loads of them

I did consider writing a tuition book once - I have a few failsafe methods to remember the number and order of Sharps & Flats in a key signature and also a really simple way to remember the most popular Modes and how to apply them

Another project in the "when I get time" file!!!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »
Nah... I recon he is a right Cu....  ::)

;D
Shiiiii... Busted :o

:D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

anthonyceseri

• Busker
    • Success For Your Songs
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
Hi, I've been working on a new song now for about a week, lyrics are written and I've composed the melody on my guitar. Trouble is, the finger picking I've devised is a bitch to play. I can do the parts separately but can't string it all together for a single take. I'm sure with practice I'll get there, I just wondered if anyone else has faced this? Did you change the song to make it easier? Practice until it was nailed, or give up?

I realise I can record the separate parts and tack it all together, and may have to, but I like to record in one take for certain songs, this being one of them, ironically, because its so complicated.

I'd do both -- "dumb it down" just for now so you can play it and get a feel for the melody, etc. In the meantime, keep learning/practicing the badass version so you'll have it for later on down the road...