Little black heart

• 8 Replies

Tony h Lfc

• Busker
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:57:35 PM »
Like a rose that's grown from the seeds of my heart
My sweet baby girl i loved from the start
Has grown like a hedgerow of thorns

Brittle and broken what the hell did i do?
I look through the shoe box
Tryn'a find me some clues but see none
Of my baby girl

Well I broke my back
To give her the world
An all that she needed
Was for me to be there
By her side

My pristine white princess
With eyes like the stars
And infectious smile
I knew she'd brake hearts
But why mine?

Ooh.......... Oohh.........
To late now
Ooh.......... Ooh...........
To late now

Pills and the junk
An empty bottle of late
Someday we'll meet
At the white pearly gates
But for now...
Rest your little black heart

(Need another verse or what ever you want to call it section? Again as always all comments feedback good or bad welcome)

Here is a link to a scrappy recording of the tune/song
https://soundcloud.com/uncle-meat/little-black-heart
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:34:38 PM by Tony h Lfc »

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »
I find this song so sweet and I especially love the section starting 'my pristine white princess.' My only pointer would be to label which bits the chorus/verse etc. so that when you read the lyrics you get a better sense of where the climax and stuff is (nothing against the song it's just a presentation tip :)), I really like the song x
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Tony h Lfc

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »
Thanks for the kind words jess glad you like it yes i agree thats just me being lazy as usual but ill correct that in future posts again thank you

BreathingMusic

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:52:35 PM »
I can really feel all of the emotions in this! It's so well written. I agree with Jess about labelling the verses/chorus because it's a bit of a difficult structure to figure out otherwise.

Innominate

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 10:46:25 AM »
This goes to show me yet again that reading a lyric is almost useless. It read very clunky to me but when I listened to it, a lot of it fit very well into the music. Although there were still some rough, syllable full lines. I also didn't really connect with it untill I heard you singing it, there is a heartbreak to the vocals that sold me on it, an almost pleading, begging sound that made it very sweet. Your voice shares a bit with Leonard Cohen, as does the music.

I think the way you structured the lyrics is adding to the confusion. For instance, when you extend the word "Grown" in the first verse, that's what makes the lines work rhythmically but that doesn't translate in the written lyrics. I don't know how to deal with that but I thought I'd point it out as did Jess.

The arrangement: I could do without the repeat of the first verse after the solo section. We heard that part already, both lyrically and melodically it offers nothing new. I wanted to hear a change-up or a part of the song that was more repeatable. The "Ooh.....Ooh..." part is very repeatable and might work better coming out of the break. The "pills and junk" part lyrically is a very good chorus and I would have like to see it show up earlier in the second half, and possibly repeat. Hope that helps, it's a good song, give it a bit more attention maybe.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:50:10 AM by Innominate »

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 11:25:50 AM »
This goes to show me yet again that reading a lyric is almost useless. It read very clunky to me but when I listened to it, a lot of it fit very well into the music. Although there were still some rough, syllable full lines. I also didn't really connect with it untill I heard you singing it, there is a heartbreak to the vocals that sold me on it, an almost pleading, begging sound that made it very sweet. Your voice shares a bit with Leonard Cohen, as does the music.

I think the way you structured the lyrics is adding to the confusion. For instance, when you extend the word "Grown" in the first verse, that's what makes the lines work rhythmically but that doesn't translate in the written lyrics. I don't know how to deal with that but I thought I'd point it out as did Jess.

The arrangement: I could do without the repeat of the first verse after the solo section. We heard that part already, both lyrically and melodically it offers nothing new. I wanted to hear a change-up or a part of the song that was more repeatable. The "Ooh.....Ooh..." part is very repeatable and might work better coming out of the break. The "pills and junk" part lyrically is a very good chorus and I would have like to see it show up earlier in the second half, and possibly repeat. Hope that helps, it's a good song, give it a bit more attention maybe.

I agree with most of what you say.......isolated lyrics can seem pretty weird sometimes,,i`m sure mine do.. but  i like them within the song..also like this type of stripped down recording , could be in some blues shack somewhere.....

The bit i will disagree on is the first verse repeat.....i like this on songs a certain amount...can bring the song back on it self like a loop,,,sort of this is how the story started? 

Innominate

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 02:04:56 PM »
The bit i will disagree on is the first verse repeat.....i like this on songs a certain amount...can bring the song back on it self like a loop,,,sort of this is how the story started? 

I agree with you, I've written songs with that and there are many great songs that do it. For this song though, I was really waiting to hear a hooky chorus a couple more times. The hooks are there, I guess I just wanted more time with it.

Tony h Lfc

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:35:25 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Innominate and Songsthatcry, I agree with what both of you have written It does need another verse or some kind of repeatable chorus but I also would not mind the song going back to the 1st verse even if I had more words to sing, also if I had time and money to re-record it a bit more pro-like I would add something to add more interest either lyrically or harmonically or rhythmically but until then I will just have to settle for how it is now I guess but again thank you both and glad you liked it even if it was only a little 

Lyrycalsoulz

• Busker
    • Youtube Lyrycalsoulz
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 01:45:20 AM »
Sounds very country to me if it were to be produced with a bit more umph in the music :) really liked the music and lyrics, It is very true when reading lyrics witout any music can sometimes if not all the time be very misleading and almost uninspiring yet matched with the right music all pieces come together nicely
Visit and like my Facebook page

www.facebook.com/Lyrycalsoulz