konalavadome

"Pseudonym" on Songwriting credits

• 1 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:39:11 PM »
Hey all. A question for you, which I am struggling to find answered online. It's a particular one so not sure if anyone here will know either but can;t hurt to ask!

I am submitting songs to go V live soon, self published via CD Baby

Naturally, the songs are under "James Nighthawk". This is not my real name, I am James White.

Now, one of the categories is "Writer". It says to put the "Full legal name" of the writer. Now initially I thought that meant I would have to put "James White" as the writer.

But, looking through the archives, it seems that artists that use a fake name/stage name tend to credit themselves as that name, and I would much rather have the album as "all songs written by James Nighthawk" - this is less confusing and neater.

P!nk doesn't have "Alicia Moore" as the writer. Elton John doesnt have Reginald Dwight as writer (even before he changed his named by deed poll - yup I looked it up!).

I have registered "James Nighthawk" as my alais on both the PRS and PPL, with the IRSC codes properly registered. So surely I am covered?

I am gonna go ahead and use James Nighthawk as the songwriter. If anyone has anything to chime in about this please do, I'd rather know now before I hit the big red "SUBMIT" button  ;D

JNx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:54:27 PM »
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk