konalavadome

chinese whispers

• 2 Replies

Joe

• Busker
« on: July 09, 2009, 06:05:23 PM »
I've been listening to Bon Iver's album 'For Emma, Forever Ago' most days for the last four months. It has a quality to it that I find very hard to pin down. It strikes me that the writing process he used for it has a lot to do with that. He taped himself just mumbling syllables do the tune of the song, and then played the tape again and again, writing down the different words he thought he could hear, and compiled the lyrics from these. I think the result is very touching, and preserves the quality of first thoughts and their intimacy into a very tight, together finished album.

what do you guys think?

all 't' best,
                 Joe

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 03:07:56 PM »
Hey dude, thanks for joining the forum, and welcome!
A very interesting concept this, and one which I am keen to try out.  I have a nahdful of songs which require finished lyrics in order to be put into the playable repertoire, but it seems the longer a song lives without lyrics, the harder it is to sit down and capture the feel in words. 
I actually think this approach may yield better results than anything else I have tried so far.
I'll post back when I've had a chance to try it and let you know how I get on.

:)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

LAJON3S

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 10:51:23 PM »
In a sense this is almost what I do sometimes when writing but in my case not quite as extreme, I think it is an interesting way to write music but I do not think it would be possible to allow the music to tell a story or talk about personal issues.