Shoegazer

• 6 Replies

paulmclay

• Busker
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »

This one is about a girl that is incredibly shy, but has a beautiful and powerful ability to write.

Girl it's time you learned
That there is more to see
In this display of life
Than the ground between your feet
Don't you hide your pretty face
Behind that auburn hair
Been drowning for so long
Finally coming up for air.

You don't have to stay inside
Because behind dark clouds
The sun, it still shines.

Up in your room
Alone, you've locked away
Painted the walls
With thoughts and words you long to say
The world may not wait
But I, I can listen
That soft, cold voice
Heart of a poet the world's been missing.

You don't have to stay inside
Because behind dark clouds
The sun it still shines.

(ch)
She's a shoegazer
Wait till you meet her
Boy she will win your heart
And make your day much sweeter
If only she'd leave her shoegazers chamber

He said you were strong
But you were unsure
Criminally shy
A desperate search for the cure
Wise men might say
A flower may not bloom
A romance forgotten
Forever kept in a darkened room
Yet from this haven
Come words so free
We'll lock the door
A shoegazer for all eternity.

(Repeat ch)

Paul S. McLay

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »
I adore this! It's such a beautiful message! I especially like lyrics 'there is more to see... than the ground between your feet.' Really good work, I'd love to hear this to music x
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »
I really like this one. The title had me intrigued and I was wondering what the song would be about. It's certainly an original and unusual topic but I think that is why I like it. There's some great lines, my favourite being the bit about coming up for air. Great write all in all :)

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »
This is good. I really like the lines "you've painted walls with words and thoughts you'd like to say." I thought that was very strong and unique. I would maybe structure it differently so it's more V C V C B C and pre chorus as well if you have them. In the end it is your song and you do what you want. I thought this was a really good piece of work though!
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

Innominate

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »
"Don't you hide your pretty face
Behind that auburn hair
Been drowning for so long
Finally coming up for air."

"Because behind dark clouds
The sun, it still shines."

"Painted the walls
With thoughts and words you long to say"

I enjoyed the imagery in these lines. Drowning in one's own hair particularly, is a very compelling metaphor for shyness. It seems to encapsulate both the weakness and despair it can often bring along with the overtones of panic that come with attention. It is also one I haven't heard before, although others might have.

The language is sometimes confusing however, for example,

"Up in your room
Alone, you've locked away"

Perhaps you meant to use "You're" instead or "You've" or some similar minor spelling error? Otherwise this is not a complete sentence, you have no subject. Either she locked away something or she is herself the thing locked away.

Also, "Been drowning for so long/Finally coming up for air". Have you intentionally dropped the subject from these two lines for melodic purposes? Should it not be, "You've been drowning for so long/But you're finally coming up for air" or something similar? I had to re-read the lines to make sure I didn't miss something.

The last verse does not seem as well put together as the rest of the song either. It feels like a jumble of semi-related ideas that don't transition well and suffers from the same kind of confusing language as above. The flower in a darkened room not blooming is another good bit though.

The song also comes off to me as a little arrogant and maybe a bit controlling right from the opening line of, "Girl it's time you learned". I interpreted the song as a whole as "Hey girl you're super shy but you're also awesome and i'm going to try and pull you out of your shell". Was that the intent or not? Maybe i'm missing it. I admit I might just be oversensitive but who are you to tell her how she should live or whats best for her or what she should value most? While it's clear she's shy, she also appears to be quite introspective(IE the poetry stuff) which offers a whole world the narrator seems to dismiss as less valuable. I don't think you've done enough to show why being shy is something worthy of changing. Especially when you end the song with a contradictory message to the beginning. I read, "If only she'd leave her shoegazers chamber" and "We'll lock the door/A shoegazer for all eternity." as seemingly contradictory. Considering the narrator carries both messages, what exactly are you trying to say here?

I think there are plenty or great ideas and lines in here and the overall the idea is a good one but it's a bit confusing at times and the main message by the end is unclear. Some parts are not as well written as they could be but it's well worth the work in maybe rewriting some bits. I did enjoy reading it though, well done.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 10:39:26 PM »
I agree with innominate in that it comes across as a little arrogant as we aren't given much of a reason for this girl to actually be pulled out of her shell.

I don't agree with his comments about grammar though. It's a song, it doesn't need proper grammar. We all understand what was meant anyway.

All up I think this is actually quite middle of the road. It's not a run-of-the-mill topic but it's not n overly new one wither and nothing much new has been done with it. There's some good language features in there but it's not enough to carry the song.
Defective Elector

paulmclay

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:30:41 PM »

Thanks for the comments. This was never written in arrogance, I see that I could've made the opening line better.
As for the rest of the song, I'm reasonably happy with, I worked hard on it.
The last verse is longer because I had an idea to keep the girl inside her shell. Plus I don't want to write music with a set pattern.
Cheers.
Paul S. McLay