konalavadome

Can any one recommend free mastering software?

• 12 Replies

garys2811

• Open Mic
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »
I've just been working on a couple of rehearsal CD's so I can get a band together. When i burned the wave files using windows media player onto the CD and it sounds inconsistent in volume and dynamics. The gaps are all different lengths. I think that I should try a little more with my mastering but I can’t find any free software. Has anyone got any suggestions.
Garys2811

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 10:45:40 PM »
I don't know about free software that's specifically aimed at mastering, but I would say at the very least get hold of audacity which will let you normalise your tracks, and crop the start/ finish plus a few other very handy functions.

Standard gap between tracks is 2 secs - if they're inconsistent it's probably silence at the start/ end of individual tracks.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 08:39:41 AM »
If you are looking for free software then a big +1 to Audacity

I have not used it myself but have seen it mentioned enough in different contexts (including mastering) to know it is a no brainer to get hold of a copy if you need free stuff

Are you using a DAW to record and mix?

If so another option is to put all of your mixed wavs into a new DAW project

You can then use automation, eq, compression and any other of your DAW goodies to get your tracks sounding consistent

If you don' t have a DAW then the cheapest route would be to check out REAPER or get a copy of COMPUTER MUSIC magazine as they give away their own DAW with lots of plugins etc.

If you can stretch to a "proper" DAW (ie around the £300-400 mark) I would recommend checking out Sonar X2, Cubase 7, or Reason (amongst many others)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 09:14:06 AM »
If you just want to sort out volume/dynamics inconsistencies, I agree with the above - get audacity, Reaper or similar DAW, import each song, level match them, apply compression etc.
What is even more important though is having a good monitoring system so that you can critically listen to the songs.

If you have money, Steinberg's Wavelab is a specifically-for-mastering audio editor

There are very few good mastering VST plugins that can be had for free...most people seem to mention 'Ozone' as THE mastering plugin; I've never tried it & it costs a lot.

For mastering, it's not 'mastering' unless you get some one else to do it - thats the whole point of it.
There are members on the forum who can help you out with that (including me)

When I master, I usually go through this signal chain:

Waves Kramer Tape plugin (sometimes), then out to -> He69 EQ (helios-style equaliser) -> LA2A or 1176 style compressor -> SPL GoldMike preamp then back into to the DAW and the PSP Xenon limiter.

I'm building a pultec style EQ at the moment to give me more EQ options and sometimes I will run a mix out to my Revox tape machine if the Waves' plugin isn't doing it for me :D

Very importantly, I often reference the tracks against commercial tracks of the same genre, to help with tonal and level adjustments.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:29:30 PM by Ramshackles »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 11:14:39 AM »
Excellent point RAM

Especially the "get someone else to master" and also the referencing against commercial tracks of the same genre

Key steps in the mastering process that are easily forgotten if you take the "DIY" route
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

garys2811

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 06:03:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at Audacity and then have a think about Wavelab.  I am looking at a DIY solutions, and I therefore don't expect too much but would like to do what I can to improve. Ultimately, I'll end up in a studio to get a CD but I'd like to experiment at home first.

I'm using Cakewalk Sonar(5) to do the recording. It's old and because I only use it occassionally, I've never really built up much in the way of expertise other than getting a basic recording down.  I monitor through an old set of Gamma headphones that I've had for about 20 years and have always quite liked. I've a couple of AKC condenser mics (c1000) and some Sure sm58's and that's about it.

Usually I only spend the money that I make from gigs on music. They have been few and far between this year and I've splashed out on a PA and a couple of guitars so i'm spent up on music at the moment.

Cheers,
Gary
Garys2811

shahidashgar

• Busker
    • Icopy247
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
You could look at Reaper as a host. It's a DAW, but opening a 2-track waveform is certainly within its means and you can load VST effects on its tracks. It's shareware, but a fully unlimited free trial version is available.

www(dot)reaper(dot)fm

You might want to also look at this for an interesting free eq:
Pushtec

www(dot)kvraudio(dot)com/get/2761.html

It's not the most surgical eq but it certainly has character.

Also, Kjaerhus Classic, also free:

EQ: www(dot)kjaerhusaudio(dot)com/downloads/products/classic_eq_v104.zip

Mastering Limiter: www(dot)kjaerhusaudio(dot)com/downloads/products/classic_master-limiter_v106.zip

Both fairly nice.

Be sure to check out www(dot)kvraudio(dot)com for a whole slew of free VST plugins and instruments of all sorts.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:54:47 PM »
free mastering vst plugin with lots of  pre sets , its called T-Sledge. works well.
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 07:52:14 AM »
Audacity isn't meant to be used for mastering, it's far from ideal - great software for other sound work however.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 10:55:59 AM »
Go to the 1k site they have excellent mastering software and I believe they have a starter package which is free and can be upgraded on a modular basis by just buying additional mastering modules if and when you need them. Whats more these additional modules can be trialled for a month before purchase so you are not committing blindly to something that you may not like.

I have the full registered version and I love it, having said that I find I only use about half a dozen of the available modules. Problem being that I am too scared to do much incase I screw my mix up so I tend to stick with presets which are really handy. So as long as you can categorize what is wrong with your mix you can select a preset that is designed to correct that fault. Very neat and tidy.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »
Gary,
I use Ozone V5 with Sonar and its really good and simple. The base version can be had for £145. There's a 1 month free trial version.
 :)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »
Gary,
I use Ozone V5 with Sonar and its really good and simple. The base version can be had for £145. There's a 1 month free trial version.
 :)
Neil 

Hey Neil, can you get versions for the other instruments as well  :D

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 10:32:55 PM »
Allan, I was about to try and answer it but see what you've done with the base/bass thing!
Glad I got it before I made a complete twerp of myself.
;D
Neil
songwriter of no repute..