Competitions or Challenges?

• 4 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:26:45 PM »
Reading through the 'Anonymous reviews' thread, Boydie brings up an interesting point..

I think this is why I tend to "shy away" from competitions (as well as not having much time)

I don't like the whole idea of voting for "the best" song as we are in such a subjective area

I know it is all a bit of fun and doesn't really mean anything but it is my first though about comps - although the time constraint is the main issue for me at the moment!!!

How many others feel this way?

Would we be better setting 'challenges' (with no voting/winner) as opposed to the traditional style competition?

A challenge merely sets new and interesting criteria to write and record to, without that element of having to find a 'winner'.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:28:26 PM by habiTat »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:37:23 PM »
Another interesting point HAB

I didn't mean this as a negative towards the competitions - they always look great fun and always seem to be run in the right spirit

The above comments were made in the context of a discussion about the way songs are reviewed - my point being that there is no such thing as the definitive "best song" due to different preferences/opinions, which led on to the "competition" element

Would be interesting to see other's views on the competition aspect though

I am not against them and when I did have time I enetered the PAWPRINT but I do think "challenges" would be more attractive - although it wont solve the time problem!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
Keep it as a comp

As Boydie had stated its all in the right spirit

And if I ever win one I will cherish it forever  ;D

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »

I didn't mean this as a negative towards the competitions - they always look great fun and always seem to be run in the right spirit

No no, I understand that, don't worry, I didn't see it as negative, it's just that given the number of active forum members, the uptake for some comps can be quite small (the conspiracy comp only has about 5 playing) I understand that time is always an issue (probably the main one for everybody) but when uptake is low, it's good to know if it's the subject matter that's unappealing or something more fundamental ie. the fact that it's actually a competition (with winners and losers) because you are right in what you say, it's all subjective.

Someone could enter the best 'rap' or 'thrash metal' song ever recorded, but I probably wouldn't vote for it, not due to lack of quality, but because of my personal taste. If you're traditionally a 'thrash metaller' on here, but you know most people submit folk music, where is the incentive to enter a competition, knowing you'll get very few votes? (extreme example but it makes the point :) )

I enjoy doing the comps thing and I think they are a great way to get the creative juices flowing and getting people talking and working together. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get them to appeal to people.

@Kaf, I know what you're saying but when Blueprint changed from 'challenge' to 'competition' (with a winner) I remember that Andy5544 (I think) was quite disappointed it had become a search for a 'winner'. When Boydie then said what he said about comps I thought maybe it might be a more widely held opinion.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 09:20:26 PM »
The way I view the competitions is pretty much as a challenge anyway.

I like hearing the songs and review them as I usually would, with the nice bonus being that I can hear how different people approach the same brief. I often forget who I like the most (last competition I even forgot to vote in time because of this!)

The winner is largely irrelevant to me

I view them a bit like how we were taught at school. It's the taking part ;)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk