famous songs reworked in major keys

• 15 Replies

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« on: January 17, 2013, 03:05:34 PM »
This is pretty interesting. Somehow they have taken the original recording and transposed it to a major key...melody the same:

http://vimeo.com/24939206

Still a pretty awesome song, despite the key change (not quite as good...but is it just because Im used to the original?). Makes you think more carefully about what makes a good song; Arrangement (Instrumentation), Rhythm, Melody, and Performance equally, if not more, important as the chords you are strumming....

EDIT: Just heard the reworking of the Doors' Riders on the Storm. Much prefer the sunnier version!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 03:09:58 PM by Ramshackles »

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 03:19:56 PM »
Not as good , but still enjoyable to listen to,it`s more uplifting than the original.... testimony to the excellent melody i suppose?

Got a link for the doors song!

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
Well someone didn't like it as it has been deleted ;)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't get to hear it. My guess is that what they have probably done is to use the chords from the relative major key, the scale of which contains the same notes as its relative minor. Therefore, if you have an A natural minor melody then all the chords in C major will work.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't get to hear it. My guess is that what they have probably done is to use the chords from the relative major key, the scale of which contains the same notes as its relative minor. Therefore, if you have an A natural minor melody then all the chords in C major will work.

How to get it into a major key is not the problem, if they were covers. What intrigues me is this is an edit (somehow) of the original song. As if it had been passed through some kind of autotune (like melodyne). Yet for such an elaborate edit (especially considering they must have only been working with the stereo master mp3), I can hear absolutely no tell-tale 'auto-tune' artefacts....

It's a shame they took it down...but the door's one is still there (equally impressive):

http://vimeo.com/24939393

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:37:25 PM »
Didn`t do it for me...sounded weird in places. ;)

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:26:52 AM »
I listened to the REM one - pretty brilliant

Really brought home the difference that key and major/minor chords really make

It was quite uplifting  ;)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »
Best thing I've seen on the internet for ages! The REM one is really interesting. Especially that weird dominant 7th (or whatever it is) before the chorus. That should have been in the released version for sure.

This technology should be a standard part of studio gear - run your song through different keys & modes before committing to an arrangement and I bet you'd find some really brilliant changes you just never thought of before :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Kafla

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »
Garageband on the ipad is pretty cool Tone - especially for £2.99 - although the ipad costs a wee bit more ;)

You can choose the song key and it selects 8 chords that work in that key

You can generate 8 tracks of music and when you are finished you can then change the key to any major and minor and it automatically changes everything you have played to work with that key

Everything can be transferred into Logic and you can then work on it even more

I love the ipad as I can record and capture an idea anywhere - train or even on the throne

Its a very cool piece of technology - and it even helps me play flats on the keyboard 8)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:33:45 AM by Kafla »

Dutchbeat

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
just shocking  ;D

"i can just play flats on the keyboard"

or even worse

"and it even helps me play flats on the keyboard"

aaahh, painful, shocking, and almost blasphemous, Kafla  ;D ;D ;D ;D

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 05:39:53 PM »

How to get it into a major key is not the problem, if they were covers. What intrigues me is this is an edit (somehow) of the original song. As if it had been passed through some kind of autotune (like melodyne). Yet for such an elaborate edit (especially considering they must have only been working with the stereo master mp3), I can hear absolutely no tell-tale 'auto-tune' artefacts....

It's a shame they took it down...but the door's one is still there (equally impressive):

http://vimeo.com/24939393

If you want to keep every note of the original melody -as someone suggested they do (I still haven't heard it) then using the relative major key/chords is the only way to do it. If you changed it from am to amaj - you would have to change the melody.

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 10:03:26 PM »
Why oh why would you want to transpose this song into the major key ?   It's like me waking up in the morning and rather than putting bananas in my liquidiser to make my smoothy, I put my fingers in there instead !  It's not something you do.  The songs sucks in the major key and obviously thats why it was written in the original key ...doh!    Someone, obviously has too much time on there hands......

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »
OK I've heard the REM one now. It's just the original put through Melodyne. So it's not the original melody as someone said: any 3rds 6ths or 7ths have been sharpened. Doesn't take long to do that - so I expect there will be a huge flood of stuff like this now. Quite an amusing idea that will soon become very tiresome for me I think.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »
I too saw it posted on my twitter feed

And yup, the vocal does indeed sound like autotunery (Ramsy, unless we heard VERY different versions I am amazed you couldn't hear the autotuner working, was plain as day to my ears  ;D)

I didn't like it. The song jarred in places and without the minor intervals and it was generally less "lovely".
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 12:55:47 AM »
Just listened to The Doors song. I think it's really good. It took me a while to trust the song, so to speak. I kept expecting those minor notes. But it was cool.
Will try the REM one next.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.