Next competition - any ideas?

• 41 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 10:44:46 PM »

However.... The current comp is a little more limiting (until the rules changed), so perhaps a nice open comp that allows for interpretation and minimal muso' knowledge could be a good idea?

yeaaaah, that was a bit of an oversight, ah well :)

12 bar seems popular though, maybe if we get someone who knows the basic technical criteria (ie typical chord sequences etc) cough cough JN  ;) to assist, it could still be open to a lot of interpretation.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 12:49:23 AM »

yeaaaah, that was a bit of an oversight, ah well :)

12 bar seems popular though, maybe if we get someone who knows the basic technical criteria (ie typical chord sequences etc) cough cough JN  ;) to assist, it could still be open to a lot of interpretation.

I am as surprised as you. I have been flip-reversing sh#t for a decade or more now, but it seems to still be a scary zone for people!

And I am happy to do a beginners FAQ for 12bar blues, leaving only to bare bones in. I like the idea of people using 12 bars but perhaps doing something different :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
I'm sure I couldn't manage 12 bars at my age [actually I was going to suggest so old fashioned rock'n'roll] but happy to pay my dues and do the blues....
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Dutchbeat

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »
perhaps an idea for one of our comps after the 12 bars blues.....elevator music  ;D ;D

who can write the most non-intrusive spineless piece of elevator music???  ::) ::) ::)

might be more difficult than it seems

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »
Thats cool Dutch, dum de dum de dum... I like that :D

Another idea I had was the 'Difficult Sentence' comp, whereby we all have to write a song containing the same obscure sentence, for example, "Another day at the office for poor old Clive" or "It's Tuesday but it feels like I should be eating curry"..

They are rubbish, but you get the idea, we could all offer sentences forward and run with the best.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 12:22:42 AM »
I like the funeral song idea, but maybe open it up to songs about death and/or the dying process...

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »
OK everyone, as a relative newcomer how do we coalesce into a decision? Blues, Funerals etc I really don't mind. I've never  done this before and like the idea of writing a song to a brief. What happens next? I seem to recall that there was a batman theme which Tintam seemed to lead...
Neil

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 07:18:09 PM »
OK everyone, as a relative newcomer how do we coalesce into a decision? Blues, Funerals etc I really don't mind. I've never  done this before and like the idea of writing a song to a brief. What happens next? I seem to recall that there was a batman theme which Tintam seemed to lead...
Neil

Hi Neil, ok, well, nobody really seems to take charge of these things, I've kinda taken it on but I'm happy for somebody else to run them, I quite like doing it and I think it helps get people talking and pushing themselves. Tinam did the James Bond comp and it was excellent, but she's quit the forum now.  ???

The current conspiracy/backmasking comp finishes on March 30th so there is still time if you want to enter that one (check the competition board for details) If not, you're right, a decision needs to be made. The general feeling seems to be that we should run with the 12 bar blues idea.

If we are to run with that, maybe we should decide so we can start writing.

EVERYONE IN FAVOUR OF A 12 BAR BLUES BASED COMPETITION SAY AYE!!

If we are GO on that idea, we need someone to write some rules and we need to decide if it is a collabs comp or single entries. As discussed before, a basic outline of the 12 bar theory would also be useful.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
AYE!

meaning to say i am in ::)

we don't need rules...just a deadline  ;D, ok April 20th,there you go  ;D and the prize always is that you can ask other songwriters who competed to deliver a track, singing guitar, or lyrics or anything for your next project, so donate something to your next song

come to think of it....nobody ever collected that prize...

i would, but i never managed to win any of these competitions, ever...

mhhh, why would that be  ;)

oh that reminds me, vote for Dutchbin for the conspiracy songcontest...we wil ask Habitat to do the harmonies on our next song which is called Bonkers, and he doesn't have to sing backwards this time

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 08:04:04 PM »
Aye for the blues..
Neil

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »
AYE!

meaning to say i am in ::)

we don't need rules...just a deadline  ;D, ok April 20th,there you go  ;D and the prize always is that you can ask other songwriters who competed to deliver a track, singing guitar, or lyrics or anything for your next project, so donate something to your next song

come to think of it....nobody ever collected that prize...

i would, but i never managed to win any of these competitions, ever...

mhhh, why would that be  ;)

oh that reminds me, vote for Dutchbin for the conspiracy songcontest...we wil ask Habitat to do the harmonies on our next song which is called Bonkers, and he doesn't have to sing backwards this time

:o :o :o "BOOOONNNKKKEEERRRSSS.."  :o :o :o

Yep, I can do that :)

All sounds good to me Dutchy :)

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »

EVERYONE IN FAVOUR OF A 12 BAR BLUES BASED COMPETITION SAY AYE!!

aye aye captain!!

still on with me conspiracy song but its getting there!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks