why is the majority of songwriters male??? or is that just on this forum?

• 11 Replies

Dutchbeat

« on: January 11, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
Any ideas ? I was just wondering....

Or is that just on this forum? The forum stats say that the male to female ratio of forum members is 17.6:1

and now Tina is gone the stats will even be worse. It is true that the vast majority of songwriters is male???

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
Any ideas ? I was just wondering....

Or is that just on this forum? The forum stats say that the male to female ratio of forum members is 17.6:1

and now Tina is gone the stats will even be worse. It is true that the vast majority of songwriters is male???

More free time maybe..no house work to do :D

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »
Been asking myself the same thing...

Maybe it's mostly us male songwriters that have the need for approval from strangers for our work, to satisfy our egos  ;D

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 12:00:40 AM »
There are of course many female artists (painters), songwriters, chef's,writers and so on.
Many great ones. But I think of it in evolutionary terms. Womens minds are never free enough from the amount of work they put on themselves. Which they do because it is mainly wired in the the female psyche.
Men just have to go out to work (go hunting) and then come home and stare at the fire.
Now I know we like to think we have moved on from that these days and that we are all modern and civilized and men can and are promoted eagerly by women to cry in front of people and all that malaki... but you can't argue with many thousands of years of hard wiring.
Men - in general - allow themselves enough time to get creative. Plus men are generally better problem solvers which also means being inventive/creative.
All the hurdles we had to overcome through all the ages, it was men who came up with the tools and solutions... creativity.
That's why The Beatles wern't four women.
Now women tend to latch on to things they like that we do and then become good ( sometimes) immitators, but bleh...  :o  :P
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:15:54 AM »
To add to the above, I reckon that, for all we have progressed with equal rights etc., there is still one hurdle that some over-zealous women's rights campaigners have and that is that many women's main desire in life is to have a family and be a mother.
It can be many guys' ambition as well, but I've yet to meet a guy whose sole ambition is to raise a family. We usually have career ideas etc etc..
I've met a few girls who just want to be a perfect mum, which is admirable in itself...

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
We could do with a women's perspective on this  :D

I think Michael might be right about the ego thing tbh, we don't like to admit it but appreciation, recognition, just to be noticed and listened to, they are all things we crave.

Taking Schav's point about hard wiring and evolution etc, could it not be the need to show off, to puff one's feathers, deep rooted in the male psyche?

Just a thought...

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »
I guess that showing off would also be a part of it, although I think that that applies to both genders. Having said that, with women that probably manifests itself mainly in appearance and how many extra words than actually needed can be squeezed into the smallest amount of time possible.
Now women will say that that shows they are more creative and intelligent... They use more words. I would say that men know as many words and it is that women have not yet evolved to the stage where they have realized that many of those words are not actually necessary and using fewer words would do the same job and therefore from time/energy saving perspective shows a wiseness in men, and would allow more time to think (and be creative)  :D
My partner is an olympic champion in this.
She has to be in control. She works all day. When she's home she immediately take control and starts organizing everything and taking control of everything that happens in the house.
Caitlyn and I have learned to ignore her (much too her frustration) and remain relaxed in the evenings and do things at a more humane pace.
It still gets done but it is much less stressful and sometimes even fun!  ;D
My advice to women. Be lazy, like men. Don't talk as much and stress less about things in general. Learn to switch off and fire-gaze.
Give yourselves more time to be creative and fill your time less with what you percieve to be urgent or necessary chores.
Do this and maybe one day you might reach half way to being as creative as we are.  ;D :D :D :D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

AlexMo

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
This forum probably isn't an accurate reflection of the songwriter gender ratio. Most forums on the internet are dominated by men.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 07:26:07 PM »
It's not just ratio, it's other things also like originalitly for instance and how much their music as an example has influenced others. :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »
I can't believe no more females have bitten :P

RecklessPrincess

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 01:44:20 PM »
*Backs out of the door slowly*  ::)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »
hahaha :D :D