Competitions have a new home!

• 15 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:11:18 PM »
Thanks to Tone we now have a proper home for competitions!!  ;D

There is a discussion under way in The Bar regarding a more structured competitions timetable, to keep things moving and to encourage new members to get involved. Have a read and chip in your ideas. All suggestions are welcome..

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/the-bar/competitions/

Remember there is already a competition currently running, if you want to get involved..

http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/competitions/backmasking-(new-winter-competition-noititepmoc-retniw-wen)/

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:55:47 PM »
Ooh...I like this. Easier to see the "NEW" banner on the homepage. Good move I recon.

I do think that the "songs" should be posted in both the reviews and the comp thread. This way those that don't care so much for the comps still can see and review the song. Seeing each comp only has about 6-8 submissions, it shouldn't hog the main board too much, as well as them having a good home on this board :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:08:41 PM »
I completely agree JN

Perhaps we could stadardise the competition so that they stick out, like we did with the pawprint where most posts had the title of "PAWPRINT: Song Title"

The voting, discussion and comments in the competition section could then link to these posts in the reviews section so that the songs only get posted and discussed in one thread - I found it qujte confusing on the last few comps where some songes were posted in the comp section and some in the reviews section

Nice to see something positive come out of the recent discussions - good job HAB
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:26:25 PM »
Cheers :)

It was a bit messy before having songs dotted about, here and there. I agree, I think the song itself with lyrics etc should be posted in the reviews board, with the comp name in the title, to help identify it. This will help the songs by giving maximum exposure with newbies, non-regulars etc able to easy find and review them. All other comp discussion, including the comp details, voting pages, collab requests etc should live here, as a kind of umbrella to keep the whole thing working. Each comp could maybe have an 'entries so far' thread where links to the songs could go, as and when they appear on the review board. That way, if you were participating, and wanted to check out your fellow players songs, they would be easy to find quickly, especially given that the reviews board changes very quickly and these competitions will run for months at a time, with people submitting entries gradually across those months.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »
when did this happen

really clear, new post...great job

but hey  ;D ;D ;Dwhat about my idea to do a competition

on requiem songs soon?

ok, i am looking for the right word in english now
.... simply put, a competition in funeral music   ;D ;D ;D

and instrumentals are allowed this time  ;D ;D ;D

even over the top instrumentals

anything goes

DEAD ;Dline is....

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:44:41 PM »
when did this happen

really clear, new post...great job

but hey  ;D ;D ;Dwhat about my idea to do a competition

on requiem songs soon?

ok, i am looking for the right word in english now
.... simply put, a competition in funeral music   ;D ;D ;D

and instrumentals are allowed this time  ;D ;D ;D

even over the top instrumentals

anything goes

DEAD ;Dline is....

Hehe..

I'm up for that DB, I like a good durge  :D

Maybe that could be our first official competition in this brave new world, we could make it a random 'out of the hat' collabs comp (as per Boydie's suggestion) and see what we get. It needn't even be a sad song, Queen's 'don't stop me now' is quite a popular funeral song I think :)

Hab..

Dutchbeat

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 12:10:28 AM »
Gentlemen (and Ladies)
get your engines (perhaps i mean instruments  :P) started

this could be a perfect NO rules competition
with no fixed DEADline whatsoever
in which everything is allowed

let's see who can write the best piece of funeral music

i am going for classical stringssss, too much strings and piano

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:00:23 AM »
Ok, what about this as an approach,

Three types of competition..

1, The slow burner, no fixed deadline, no rules as such, just a basic theme. (like DB's requiem challenge)

2, The quarterly competition, more rigid rules, often to run with mixed up pairings to help the community to flourish.

3, The quickie competition, maybe one or two weeks duration, for those of us who write and record quickly. (current affairs songs etc)

People can pick and choose what they play, and when. It will allow for the less structured 'challenges' as well as the more last minute, topical competitions (like if something inspires us in the news)

What do ya reckon?

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
Hmmm

I might be unpopular for saying this, but having different "types" of competition sounds like it could make the freshly unearthed competition board cluttered.

-Personally I think the idea of one main competition a quarter will focus attention on it.

-If someone wants to write a "current affairs" song, and then a few other people join in and do the same, then cool! But instead of being a comp this can just be a quirk on the reviews board, I would still enjoy that!

-The slow burning idea sounds like something that would simmer and likely not go anywhere, which could actually be disheartening for those that enter. And alongside the main comps it could get confusing/lost?

Just some thoughts  :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
Fair point JN, fair point.

The general feeling is that a quarterly comp is enough, Ram commented to that effect in the bar as well.

It's difficult to accommodate everyone and their needs/wants.

I don't think it would hurt to have the odd 'challenge' running though, something non-competitive, just for the fun of it, like Dutchy's requiem thing. It would allow for members to chip in ideas and have some less formal, organised things going on from time to time.

I don't know  ???

Unless DB would prefer that we run Requiem as the first formal competition and just stick rigidly to the quarterly structure?

Dutchbeat

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »
no, i am fine with all options, so i think just do a competition every quarter, and as far as i am concerned you (Habitat) can choose what is next (yes, as far as i am concerned you are now the competition-manager-in-chief)

i must say that competition where we worked in teams was really good (i am refering to that competition where a lyricist gets combined with an instrumentalist, so anything like that would be great too)

just keep the requiem thing in the refrigerator for when we run out of ideas....

so you can decide the scedule, Habi!!!!

we currently have a consopracy song contest...what is going to be the next one?

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
Aw thankyou Dutch!  ;D

I'm not sure if the others would be happy with that? I don't want to step on any toes. Maybe I could oversee it but try to get people to volunteer to run them, and if nobody wants to do it, I'll step in. But say if someone like Tina wanted to do something like the James Bond comp thing again, they can just run with it, in their own cool and quirky way.

But I'm definitely up for it if others don't mind, I've enjoyed running the other comps :)

Is everyone happy to keep the Conspiracy Competition as this quarter's comp? It ends in March so that would fit quite well. If so, I'll do a bit of a re-launch, try to push it a bit more, to get more people joining in.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
I would like to propose an idea for a song comp, and it`s the best short song..using no more than 20 words and  100 seconds.. ..could be interesting  ;)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 07:05:36 PM »
I would like to propose an idea for a song comp, and it`s the best short song..using no more than 20 words and  100 seconds.. ..could be interesting  ;)

Ooh that sounds good :)

We could make it a collaboration comp, randomly pairing writers with arrangers/composers.

I like that idea.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Maybe make it 20 different words...individual ones could be used more than once...like yeah,yeah,yeah.. ;D