konalavadome

Song production by bringmysongtolife.com

• 25 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 12:29:21 AM »
Gorgeous piano figure throughout and a lovely synth sound that I can't identify. I'd have liked the vocals further up in the mix and I thought they sounded a little "processed"but otherwise, a beautiful piece all round.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:22 PM »
Bump to a lot of what has been said.

The vocal now stands out against the production as a weak point.

The guitars and bass are lovely, and the drum pattern is very nice; my main gripe on the last version has been resolved nicely .

The drum sound is good, but I am surprised to hear this is a live recording? It is very hit-perfect which gives it solid timing... but the sound scape of the drums are a little lost. The brassware lacks a vibrancy I would expect from a fully mic'ed up drum kit, so I assumed on listening that this was programmed (expertly) using trigger samples. But we are talking producer-ear minutae here, as is my wont! ;)

Still a lovely song, and a much slicker representation thereof, you must be chuffed  ;D
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
Hi tone,

I've been itching to hear this all week.  I've just returned from a lovely family holiday and unfortunately I couldn't hear this because of a weak portable wi - fi connection.

This was undoubtedly, my favourite forum song of last year!  I find it hard to offer any criticism re harmony and lyrics.   It's very beautiful and always will be regardless of who tackles production.  As has already been indicated, I think that your voice needs to be recorded again to achieve the ideal combination of music and vocal.  Overall, I would have made the piano feature more prominently throughout the track. I think it's a little overpowered at the moment.  There is an excellent opportunity at 2:40 to make a superb feature of the piano which differs greatly from the rest of the piano track.  Unfortunately, I think this was missed!  It's a decent production but I'm not sure that it enhances the original sufficiently in areas other than the clarity of the recording.  I think that this song presents a tremendous opportunity for a producer to make a very dynamic recording!

Having said that, It's simply a pleasure to hear this song feature again in the reviews section!  :)

Well Done!

Paul
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:40:28 PM by Paul »

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 12:27:34 AM »
I remember listening to this a while ago and the production is much better now if memory serves me right.
I would agree about the vocals sounding a bit thin though. Could do with being a little warmer mixi-wise.
Beautiful song though and really enjoy those bending notes  :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »
I'm hearing this for the first time and I think it's really nice, it sounds like a proper song off the radio, I'm struggling to think of things to say because it's all so well written and produced.

Excellent work Tone!

Will you use these guys again do you think?

Kafla

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
Tone - you are one of my favourite writers on here.

Such clever writing  - I love the religious overtones on your songs - although I realise that the songs are not religious.

The production is my opinion is ok - I don't think there is incredible value here , certainly not over just you and piano which I believe could be more haunting and emotive - this is a song in my opinion which should not have been produced any further at all - I hope that makes sense  :D

Love the writing though and sorry....your voice is excellent  ;D

dan79

• Busker
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 05:17:22 PM »
Beautiful song, Tone.

I really like the structure and melody - it stays in your head long after it has finished. I love the vocal performance - so full of emotion. I would like a bit more reverb/echo on the vocals but that's just a personal preference ( I'm a bit obsessed with reverb in general I think!). Another highlight for me is the piano, such an integral part of this song and I think the other instruments in the production complement it perfectly.
Really nice ending too, so effortless and a lovely conclusion.

Really good song, mate!

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 07:50:40 PM »
This sounds really polished, I need to get these guys to look at one of my tracks! Everything sounds lovely and clear, perfect.

The song I like a lot, clever, interesting lyrics. Your voice is unusual, in a good way, it has a laid back feel to it that fits well with the sound, the melody is very easy to listen to, carries you along nicely but it's not predictable. Lovely stuff.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Hey everyone

Thanks so much for your encouraging and honest feedback. Whether or not you agree that the production is bang-on, I think it's worth me sharing an important lesson I learned from this exercise.

I know how to write songs.

I don't know how to make records.

By collaborating with people such as Chad and the lads at bringmysongtolife I've achieved something I couldn't have achieved on my own. My music is now much more presentable and it gives me credibility I just didn't have before.

And it makes my music much more palatable to your average music fan, cos it sounds like a pro studio recording, which is what folks are used to hearing.

I'll definitely be doing more in the future.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Chadbim

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 11:57:41 AM »
Hi james,
I can assure you it was a live acoustic drum kit with Soultone cymbals recorded in 8 channels.. The consistency you were referring to was achieved by having a session drummer at the drum seat (20 years of recording experience). No drum programming here mate, but we'll take it as a complement ;)

Bump to a lot of what has been said.

The vocal now stands out against the production as a weak point.

The guitars and bass are lovely, and the drum pattern is very nice; my main gripe on the last version has been resolved nicely .

The drum sound is good, but I am surprised to hear this is a live recording? It is very hit-perfect which gives it solid timing... but the sound scape of the drums are a little lost. The brassware lacks a vibrancy I would expect from a fully mic'ed up drum kit, so I assumed on listening that this was programmed (expertly) using trigger samples. But we are talking producer-ear minutae here, as is my wont! ;)

Still a lovely song, and a much slicker representation thereof, you must be chuffed  ;D

KEROUAC1957

• Open Mic
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »
Is the original version still available for comparison as I couldn't get the link to work on the review page?