"SUBSCRIPTION TO HEROIN" - MRI studio track

• 16 Replies

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »
happy 2013 everyone!! it's gonna b a gr8 year :)
crazy busy w/ new job but managed to get this done over holiday break.  'nother one from the basketball diaries album lol - came out kinda neat. guitar solo is fun.
lyrics, notes & recording details on uTube page. cheers ;-) -Dar

Daren Thomas Turner: guitars, vocals
Stephen Habo: drums
Daniel Denial: bass

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »
Iv`e had two listens...the guitars are lush....but i`m struggling to say anything that i may have not said about your other tracks...as a band your good at this sort of sound...it`s unusual . theres almost a hint of chaos going on in your melange of sound......i would like to hear some slowed down tracks....bit of R.E.M maybe....

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »
Not as 'heavy' sounding as I was expecting given the title and the intro. The chorus has interesting chords sequence and is catchy. Good rhythm and ;D solo.   
:)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

vibesville

• Open Mic
  • That would be me then ;)
    • Listen to me here! :)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »
Really like this! Catchy melody some lovely chords in there and commercial. Love the voice very distinctive so maybe push it a little more in the mix.
Intro is long so I would maybe layer that guitar (3 or 4 times) across the field to build up even more with the drums to that change, cut back and bring in the vocal.
Other than that this is a really good track and even then it wouldn't be a big deal if you left it as is, I think it's just me and long intros ;)

Nicely done!
“Acoustic laid back new wave punk indie folk with a sprinkle of deep meaningful day to day observations on how the world goes round and round and round and sometimes I actually notice this happening and decide it’s worthy enough to write a song about.”

https://www.facebook.com/vibesville
http://www.youtube.com/vibesville

Promote yourself here!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Share-the-Vibe/

Mark Ryan

• Solo Gig
  • Banned user
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:23:19 PM »
I would love to hear this song just go straight ahead into the vocals without the intro, I think you'd have a much better song. Seriously I really liked this once it got started, and this isn't my genre at all, but an intro of over a minute long is way too much, record labels would have turned it off long before it got to the vocals, which is a real shame. Also the vocals need pushed up in the mix I was struggling at times to hear them. Ditch the intro and turn the vox up and you've got a really cracking track there and I would love to hear it again.

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »
Once again a very professional sounding, musically very original song with lots of energy !

Great guitar sound, and very nice work on the solo.

After reading the lyrics I thought it might be hard to get them to fit into a song, especially concerning the structure. But you did a great job here, and everything seems to fit seamlessly.

I agree with Mark about the vocals, I'd push them up in the mix just a tad. The vocal melody provides a large part of this song's great atmosphere, and I'd like to hear that a bit clearer.

I enjoyed the intro, nice guitar riff, and a great way to lead into the song!
The tempo change in the end took me by surprise a bit (kudos to all involved musicians for pulling this of without missing a beat) but I like how you pick up elements from the intro again...
I'm not a fan of fade-outs, so I didn't really like the way it all ended so abruptly, maybe keep up that guitar riff for a couple more bars?

Anyway, nice job on the song!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:13:44 PM »
Hi Daren,

Another cracking tune. Got to say, I'm a fan, and my daughter thought it was great. Regarding the intro, I think it's one of those that on an album you'd have the full length version, as a single it would be an edit. I think it's a great sound you've got going on. I'm jealous.

Digger

Dutchbeat

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:17:28 PM »
an wow again!

super solid sound with catchy singing melodies all over

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 12:34:15 AM »
Lyrics please!!!!

Sounds like a track that would be played on late night radio - professional quality but outside the mainstream - is that fair?

Way ahead of 90% of what is normally posted on here plus that guitar solo is something else.

Quality.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »
I wasn't expecting the psychedelic vocals, but they fit nicely.

The guitar solo is great and the production is very crisp an balanced. A tad lacking in the bass but personal preference here more than anything.

I liked the playing with the timings and guitars.

This is very good stuff. It is entirely un-commercial and a little hard to "get into" as the vocals are largely unintelligible but as a groove it is very cool. I did find the main two chord cycle to grate just a little after a few minutes, (PJ Harvey does the same thing and I really don't like it when she does it track after track! But she doesn't have your guitar skills). But perhaps this is because I am looking too hard into it! A standard listen would have unlikely brought this out.

Great stuff x
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »
Honestly, if I hadn't found this song on this forum I wouldn't have listened long enough to hear the vocals.

That intro in my opinion is waaaaay too long. In fact, you could ditch it altogether and improve the track considerably.

Once the vocals come in there's a lot going for this song. Quite a catchy melody, nice psychedelic style, guitars sound great. I love that they're not too heavy. I would have liked the chords to develop a little more over the guitar solo - either that or the solo is a couple of bars too long.

Reminds me quite a lot of Alice in Chains. It's very well produced, and I'm only being so picky because it's so good in every other way. A track to be proud of mate :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »
Hi Darren,

This is so different to the songs that are posted on this forum. That makes it very difficuly for me to critique.  Though not a genre that I am used to listening to, I ca appreciate the excellent musicianship.  The drums are super tight and the guitar tones excellent.  I think this will be a big crowd pleaser in a live setting.  I found the introduction to be a little too long but overall, I'm impressed with the excellent sound quality of your productions.  :)

Well done!

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 12:18:36 AM »
Agree'd that the intro takes too long to lift but a great track nonetheless.
Production-wise fantastic.
Love the guitar chuggery and those vocal choices.
Made me move in my chair so a proper thumbs up   :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
Very professional sounding song mate, the intro is a little long, like others have said. The main song reminds me of Placebo, that guitar solo is very Middle Eastern sounding. It's not really my cup of tea in terms of genre but I can fully appreciate the thought and skill you've put into this.

Boating's hard this time of year aint it.. cold and damp :(

hab..

Kafla

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
I love your work Daren , you record that energy and passion that bands often have live but normally struggle to record   ;D

This is my favourite song you have posted , the beat and rhythm in the guitar gets my foot tapping  ;D

Top class !!!!