"BEST THING YOU WILL EVER FIND" {studio track}

• 13 Replies

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »
an idiotically simple 3 chord crash bang grungy rocker
i actually liked my 1st take scratch guitar solo so i kept it as it's almost silly in a Chuck Berry/Joe Perry/Dave Navarro way. lyrics kinda sociological statement i guess about metaphorical relationship of advertising/television and heroin

BEST THING YOU WILL EVER FIND
© Daren Thomas Turner / MRI

we televise and have good tubes
we fantasize that we are good
we'll never begin to let you down
don't fight us again 'cause you will drown

let me tell you 'bout
the best thing you will ever find
is right beneath your eyes
here, underneath is junk
china painted you with white
and now we're painting you
with things that you will own
i don't care what you say
i don't care what you do
i don't care who you f*ck

we compromise to no one's rules
no tourniquet for beefy tubes
don't cook up yourself inside your spoon
'cause we do that for you when you are good

let me tell you 'bout
the best thing you will ever find
is right beneath your eyes
here, underneath is junk
china painted you with white
and now we're painting you
with things that you will own
i own you
i stoned you
i phoned you

-------------------------------------------
Daren Thomas Turner: guitars, vocals
Steve Habo: drums
Daniel Denial: bass

http://soundcloud.com/abeautifulvirus/best-thing-you-will-ever-find

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 07:31:53 AM »
Found this lyrically a vary interesting mix of threads. At times I found it difficult to find the overall message but there are some lovely lines. Musically the drums were pretty tasty and really well mixed. The guitars and bass of course kept  up a real great groove through out. I particulaly liked the stop when you sang the I dont care section, that was a cool effect.

Overall I thought a pretty neat song. Maybe could bring the vocals forward, without the words in front of me I would have had a real job making them out.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »
A powerful, energising start to a wet Thursday morning. Liked the title, good intro, drums, doomed vocals and harmonies. Builds nicely, like the breaks. Enjoyed the solo a lot - sounds like you did too! Simple is good.
 :)
Neil   
songwriter of no repute..

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 08:42:39 AM »
Like it Daren, sounds like it was recorded in seattle  in the 90's ,great stuff!
Learner guitarist

theLostLad

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »
Sonically excellent, fun guitar solo, good song. I didn't think it was as immediate (melodically) as the last one you posted but it is growing on subsequent listens. Is that double bass drum? Either way it sounded good especially during the chorus, and the break and 'oooh' works at the end of the chorus too. More please!!

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »
nice on, Virus!
drums are super
breaks are far too cool with that beeping sound

fan-fun_fu$!king- tastic!

perhaps the song could do with some more of that: i own you, i stoned you, i phoned you bit, as far as i am concerned

and high female harmony backing vocals kicking in at the last chorus, to make the party complete?
somewhere at 3.50?

and after that chorus, one or two repeats of that i own you- i stoned you - i phoned you bit?

i think the listener is entitled on that repeat  ;D ;D ;D

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 03:10:39 PM »
i think your songs are to  long..you have  good ideas & they always go places i dont expect but i think they need to do that sooner to keep me intrested ...double the speed that would bring it down to 2.22..bingo.. perfect! ;D
i like your unusual vocal style & who is that deranged being on lead guitar ..it sounded mad but good!

are you forming a band with 50 cent?
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 04:06:42 PM »
Soundcloud link not working. Will try again later.

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 10:43:53 PM »
HI,

It's like sleazy grunge. Why complicate things? Just because there are loads of chords doesn't mean we have to use them all. I liked the simplicity. Not as good as the previous two (thought they had a bit more weirdness going on), but still a good, solid rocker.

If you ever tour in the UK - let me know.

All the best,

Digger

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »
Not my thing at all but it's full of great lines and it has that authentic, grungy sound. Your drummer has one of the most distinctive sounds I've ever heard. I could tell his work a mile off. You do this sort of thing very well and the guitar break was superb; very original and nor derivitive at all - pretty hard to do.

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »
who is that deranged being on lead guitar ..it sounded mad but good!

i am guilty of deranging the guitar lol - was kinda a scratch take i was being kinda silly but i like how it came out so i kept it.

cool thread here. all comments valid & appreciated-

ya Dutch i hear ya on the spoken word part.

not much production here nor whittling of arrangement which it could mos def use. it just is what it is- i was concerned with getting a decent live drummer sound and warmth of Marshalls etc...

incidentally i think this site has the best feedback in general so i truly appreciate everyone's set of ears -
very cool & happy holidays - Daren  :)

Florida Mike

• Open Mic
    • Michael Holmes Singer Songwriter Official Site
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 03:50:01 PM »
Great fat guitar sound as always on your tracks, and solid drums too. I like this , I can't play this style but respect it very much. BTW - there is ne need to apologize regarding three chords...many of the greatest rock soung are based on three...minimal but mighty!
Some great lyric too...lead guitar is superb...nice Daren.

faero

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 04:34:06 PM »
Loved this - and again jealous of the big rattly guitar sound you have got without smothering everything. 

There's a lot of work in this- all the little quirky breaks and stops add bags of character.  The vocals are great but just on the edge of sounding like its a touched forced on the quirky tone.   The drums are epic and love stereo Tom moments.  Maybe a bit too stop/ start in places and maybe one or two too many fills.    Only othe comment is that it moves to the chorus without any lift / obvious change and this makes the chorus feel bit lost on the first couple but it wouldn't take much to tweak that.  Superb!!   

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »
Wow, this has tons of energy!
Nirvana meets Placebo meets something else  :D

The drums sound fantastic, and so do the guitars I think (incredible work on the solo - best part of the song for me!)
I think the 3 chord thing works well here. Good arrangement overall. I feel like the chorus could use some small changes or additions to make it stand out from the rest of the rest of the song musically - not sure what though (I realize that's not very helpful...)

Nothing else to criticise, very good job!

Sure this really moves the crowd when you play live