MIA warning + equipment question

• 7 Replies

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:22:51 AM »
Hi guys

Two things

Firstly, I'd like to explain up front why I probably won't be on here a lot for the coming weeks (and haven't been for the past week(s) either). This is my last year at Uni. so it's been incredibly busy up to now. Exams are coming up in January and because of the work load, I'm basically opening my course books for the first time. Which means I'll be a bit preoccupied. I should be back in Februari though. Unless of course, the Maya's were right. Then I'll see you all on the other side ;)

Secondly, a more technical question. I'd like to elaborate my equipment a bit after my exams. The thing I'm wondering about it DI's. I know it's mainly used on acoustic instruments, but I don't know what it does exactly, so I hope someone here can help me with that :)
I've got a mic, two acoustic guitars, a Peavey Classic 30 and a keyboard (and two electric guitars, but they are out of the question for this). When I'm plugging my acoustic into my Peavey, it just doesn't sound very acousticly. So, is there a way to help that (e.g. by using a DI)? Or can't I get that acoustic sound with my amp and do I need another one for acoustics? (Same goes for my mic and keyboard, which sound kinda sharp when put through foresaid amp...)

SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »
Good luck with your exams and Happy Christmas Stephanie :)

Oh, and Happy New Year ;)

Hab..

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:00:23 AM »
oh dear steph you sound a bit like me plugging things in the wrong sockets & not knoing what im doing!
im not surprised the mic & keyboard sound funny in the peavey amp its a guitar amp! i had one i used to gig with it was the best amp i ever had
but i dont know what you mean by DI i always thought it meant plugging a electric instrument straight in to a computer or mixer without a amp or micing it up...so you cant DI something thats not electric? soo youd have to have a pickup on your guitar first i think
anyway i might be wrong my boys seem to have totaly diffrent meanings for words these days
they sit at the dinner table talking about how sick something is ....&  it means cool nowdays!! & i better not mention what flossing means now in case flossie reads this....so maybe DI means something else nowdays!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »
DI
A DI box is a box that is used when you want to connect a high impedance, unbalanced output - e.g. an output jack from an instrument (acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass, keyboard etc) to a low impedance balanced input, e.g. a mixer input, a microphone input on a preamp.

All this little unit does really is cut down on noise, distortion (and possibly ground loops) that may arise when connecting two devices of different impedance and connecting unbalanced outputs to balanced inputs.

There are 2 different types: active and passive. Active differ in that they can also amplify the signal, and therefore need power.
More expensive passive (and active) DI's typically use a nice transformer which aside from being less susceptible to hum, many audiophiles are convinced they give a 'nicer' sound.

BUT a DI will not make your acoustic sound better when plugging it into your amp.

In fact, an amp expects a high impedance, unbalanced signal (otherwise we would all need to use DI boxes before plugging in our guitars) so a DI may even be detrimental.

Acoustic Guitar
The problem you are having is one of accurately capturing the sound of the acoustic. When you play the acoustic, you hear everything that is coming out of the sound hole - loosely, the sound is shaped by all the properties of the acoustic guitar and the room you are in.

When you plug in your acoustic, you are relying on a little pickup (often a 'piezo transducer' if it is the pickup that came with the guitar - one of the cheaper varieties) which is usually attached on the inside, under the bridge, to receive the sound and send it to the amp.

Obviously, it won't sound the same and generally doesn't sound as 'nice'.

So, one step could be to upgrade the pickup that is inside the guitar. This wouldn't be cheap. Probably around £60 - £200 just for the pickup.

The second option is to look at your amp. It's a very nice tube amp, so you will probably need to fiddle with the gain controls so you dont introduce too much distortion. Turning up the 'pre' gain control should make the signal higher before it hits the tube, driving the tubes harder and hence more distortion..
You can try fiddling with the EQ. Often acoustic guitars sound a bit too honky so you might want to experiment with the 'mids'. If you can select the frequency of the EQ, then try turning the mid right up and sweeping through the frequencies until it sounds awful. Then you have found the frequency you want to cut...

If the EQ is more basic than that, you might want to look at getting a more comprehensive EQ pedal.
But try fiddling around with EQ...it's fairly easy to get going, you just need to be thorough. Locate the frequencies that do not sound nice and cut them until the overall sound improves.

If you can describe what is 'not nice' about the sound, or post a clip, perhaps we can find some good EQ starting points.

Also, fiddle around with that spring reverb. One thing a pickup'd guitar misses that your ear hears is the 'sound' of the room. Fiddle around with reverb to make it more sympathetic and 'natural'

You can also look at acoustic guitar amps. I've only played with a few in a shop and TBH, I didn't think they offered a much more 'natural' sound than a regular amp...but I dont know much about it, so look around

BTW,
I'm saying all this assuming you are plugging in your guitar because you are playing live.
If you are recording, use a microphone. The absolute most natural results you can get is by using a condenser (or ribbon) microphone (or 2) to record your guitar.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:55:58 AM by Ramshackles »

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »
what does flossing mean then  :o

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:09:10 AM »
yeah, what do you mean, Flossie?

well, no matter what, i certainly wouldn't have known the answer

that is for sure

8)

sorry  :P

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 08:56:50 AM »
Thanks for the elaborate information, Ram! :)
Appears I was wrong with the DI thing. The pick-up in my guitar is a piëzo, that was in it when I bought it. It's a Takamine EGSC, jumbo guitar.
So from what I've heard, it does have for a big part to do with the fact that I'm using an electrical guitar amp? But it'll still sound quite "electric" if I were to buy another one?
Then what's the best option (for playing live)? (For recording I'm using a Rode NT-1A, so I've got that covered ;)

I don't get the whole flossing thing... But well :p

Thx hab! :) To all of you also happy Christmas and have a good time partying your way into the new year! (In your face, Maya's)

SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 09:40:56 AM »
Thanks for the elaborate information, Ram! :)
Appears I was wrong with the DI thing. The pick-up in my guitar is a piëzo, that was in it when I bought it. It's a Takamine EGSC, jumbo guitar.
So from what I've heard, it does have for a big part to do with the fact that I'm using an electrical guitar amp? But it'll still sound quite "electric" if I were to buy another one?
Then what's the best option (for playing live)? (For recording I'm using a Rode NT-1A, so I've got that covered ;)

I don't get the whole flossing thing... But well :p

Thx hab! :) To all of you also happy Christmas and have a good time partying your way into the new year! (In your face, Maya's)

SD
For playing live, you would generally just DI it and trust the soundman to EQ it well! The main thing you can improve if you are playing live is get a different pickup system. A soundhole pickup such as the fishman neo (i think it is called that) coupled with a good preamp pedal (I have acoustic attack by hartke) can work quite well...

No reason why electric guitar amps cant be made to sound good... I read that fleet foxes pass their acoustic through a fender super reverb amp...