• 11 Replies

XtrmJosh

• Busker
    • JoshGriffith
« on: December 15, 2012, 11:58:09 PM »
So one of my threads was removed, with this reason:

sorry but your songs coming down.
its strictly one song at a time..read the guidelines
plus the fact that you havent bothered to comment or contribute to anybody else.
do so or you will lose your membership.
this is not personal or meant as an insult .

Anyone feel this is OTT or should I GTFO from your community?

Honest opinions, I'd rather be here but if the community tells me I'm not wanted, I'll take it far more rationally than some idiot who thinks he can remove a persons membership from a publicly accessible forum, or at least try to use that as a threat against me.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »
Have you been drinking.

It`s the rule of the forum...everyone is ok with it,,once it`s pointed out to them...do you plan to be different?

Little Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Busker
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:29:33 AM »
wordings clear enough.
comment on other peoples songs or you are of no use to us.
as you so rightly say this is a community, give and take.

the message was private to save you any embarressment, no one wants to be exposed as selfish.

do unto others as you would be done by

XtrmJosh

• Busker
    • JoshGriffith
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:42:05 AM »
Nobody is being exposed as selfish here. I'm plain and simple putting it out there. If people consider me to be some sort of sponger because I post some music occasionally and contribute in few conversations that's fine.

The simple fact is, I'm not so desperate to get people to listen to my music that I care to contribute how I think you expect me to. I'm not here to "go commercial" or any of that shit, I'm simply here because I like music & song writing.

Anyway, it looks to me like you are possibly the most annoying moderator I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few annoying moderators in my time). For that reason, I'm off.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:17:08 AM »
From humble beginnings this forum has grown into a very large group of very different people with very different music. There are many here who are not striving for any kind of success. Personally, I write because I love to and I need to for my own soul... not for commercial success. I very rarely do anything other with my songs than share them on here and maybe show them to a few friends. I still value however the need to participate in any community.
Whether or not you are looking for any kind of success, it is always at least nice to hear what even just a small group of people think about what you do. Especially when that group is a group of like minded individuals.
I guess that's why you post your music? To at least have someone hear it and tell you what they think.
That's your ego. We all have one.
Now if we all behaved the same as you the forum would be full of songs with no comments. Which raizes questions - Should people who behave selfishly in adding nothing to the community be allowed to take without giving?
Is it fair on the good people who give more of their time and themselves to make this forum the great place it is?
Would you gain more by including yourself a little in the forums and making friends with people?

Anyway. We all kinda had massive arguements many moons ago in the middle ages about some of these very issues and some very nice people went to war with each other.
And then the coming of Little Bill was upon us and we all danced merrily around a huge fire as peace once again reigned over the land of Songwriters Forum. It had been decided by the great wisdom of the mighty forum masters that it was indeed not cool to be taking from the community without giving.
Ever since there has been peace and love and harmony and stuff and it's nice.

If you want to dance around the fire, feel free to join hands... did I mention you have to be naked first?

If you don't... we are happy doing it with lots of new people joining in all the time and making the circle bigger, you wouldn't be missed.
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 02:07:48 AM »
I like Bill :)

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:46:22 AM »
Why make an issue of it , why not just join in ?

We all have the same rules to follow ,

i've seen forums where you have to do at least 2 reviews per song posted , so i think were pretty easy going on here . Also you will find if you dont comment on the songs of other members ,the interest in anything you post will soon vanish.

ok, goodluck ....
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

XtrmJosh

• Busker
    • JoshGriffith
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 03:40:07 AM »
It seems I've probably misjudged this particular community.

What I do:
Listen to music whilst working, studying, commuting, bathing, sleeping (with a sleep timer, of course), and eating.

What I don't do:
Write a review for every song I've heard.

I explained when I joined this community that my knowledge of song writing is poor. People seemed to disagree with me on that front. I made that point in the hope that although people may not like the fact that I have little to contribute, they might at least take some consolation in the fact that I contribute by means of other communication (not strictly in form of feedback) and sharing my music.

I think the biggest problem faced here is that the people of this community want to get their music heard. That's not what I want. I want people to hear my music. For instance, if I get angry at something, I listen to Ed Sheeran - Sofa. I listen to that song because it chills me out, and makes me calm. I'm 99% sure there is a better song out there for chilling me out, personally, myself, maybe not for everyone, but at least for me. There's a good chance that if I'm to find that song, I'm to find it here. This is a website full of song writers, and I'm looking for a song... It's like going to a butcher for some meat. Now, I'm not saying that my music will chill anyone out, or get someones adrenaline pumping, but if anyone at all could've taken any aid in my music in any form, be it comfort or energy, then that would mean it has done something positive. I don't really care if people write paragraphs of words about it, it's nice to have a compliment or some constructive feedback, sure, but the purpose of me uploading these two songs (and posting them together, for that matter), was certainly not to get feedback. I say that, in spite of the fact that I did ask for tips & hints on what to do better, on the grounds that it is a review board as opposed to a "sharing" board. I couldn't find one of those though, so I guess there's just nobody who actually wants to make music and listen to music, only people who are willing to listen to music in order to get their written music heard.

It's not so much about "joining in". This is the internet. The thing that got to me is the way that some moderator has immediately deleted my thread, and sent me a private message threatening to remove me from an online community on the grounds that I'm not contributing. The entire point of the internet is that you can be either a seed or a leech, that you can make or take content. And the beauty of an SMF forum hosted on a 5quidhost covered in google ads is that it is one of the few things which you simply cannot "remove someones membership" of. It's not the most technical of tasks to boot up a proxy and generate a new account, either. It's kinda like a Police Community Support Officer threatening to arrest you. They have the same authority as everyone else on the street, they just look a bit of a twat in a high vis jacket. It's almost as if someone was trying to make themselves feel more powerful than they actually were, I feel like I've been lied to about somebodies power in an attempt to make me scared. Meh, it really didn't play out at all.

All this, after I wasn't even aware that I was in the wrong. I thought this place was to share either music, opinion, or any combination of the two. In fact, I'm almost surprised that you'd create a forum called the song writer forum, if it's difficult to get listeners. Surely you'd create a forum called something like new music ideas, and target more of an audience of listeners, and add subforums for the song writers to discuss whatever they want.

I may stick about yet, not entirely sure. I've had an idea for a song writing game, though I think it's probably been done already. In spite of a strong feeling of hate towards a certain somebody, I still intend to browse anyway, to find what I was here for. The end result is probably in fact that if I do find what I'm here for, I probably won't provide any feedback to the composer.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 09:50:18 AM »

Anyway, it looks to me like you are possibly the most annoying moderator I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few annoying moderators in my time). For that reason, I'm off.

I am not suprised that you have "seen quite a few annoying moderators" in your time. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to make you reflect on your behaviour

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 10:08:08 AM »
Firstly...i`m not sure why you were threatened with deletion ...youv`e only made 10 posts or so...and that includes all this[which by the way could have been spent reviewing several songs and thus probably avoiding this nonsense]..

Secondly....one song per week is a fair rule.....normally peeps with a bunch of recorded songs fall foul of this rule...but mainly out of enthusiasm ...not because their self obsessed .

Thirdly....i`m not bothered if someone doesn`t say much....i notice that even our `regulars` are quite monkish  for periods of time..or comment very little...but don`t get picked up on..

This issue needs to be resolved one way or the other...other wise it`s going to be a continuously occurring topic.....new ones getting jumped on..people getting offended..others getting offensive[or nearly] etc..etc..

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 10:21:32 AM »
I do kinda understand where Josh is coming from

It can be very intimidating coming to this forum - the reason most people end up here is that they are ready (often for the first time) to let other people, and people they don't know, hear and comment on their music

It is also VERY intimidating to be "the new boy" and comment on other people's songs - especially long standing members who are posting some really fantastic stuff - and I think the quality of stuff has dramatically improved over the past few months!

I think if the moderator comments were public it would be a little harsh but the private message was a good move

A few comments directly for JOSH

You need to understand that "Little Bill" is a character and although the comments he makes are serious he is a characature upholding the law - it is not a nasty individual moderator. Without know the history referred to above I can see why you would take offence at the comments but it is like an OTT performer in a theme park so don't let it stress you

This is NOT a "showcase" forum, it is a community. The rules are simple - take the time and effort to review others and others will take the time and effort to review you. I am sure you would agree this is fair enough

As for reviewing, it is actually really easy - and very enjoyable. When you listen to someone's track just comment on the things you like, don't like, is there anything you woukd have done differently, do you have a question for the writer (how did you get the drum sound etc.?)

If you enjoy listening to music you will quickly get in the groove

NOBODY here holds a grudge - if you do decide this is the place for you then as long as you review others and join in the discussions (like this one, so good start!) You will find the forum opens up for you (as a wise member keeps saying) and I am sure you will learn a lot and get some valuable feedback

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »
the trouble with the internet is its like a huge lawless unclaimed land where people think they can say what they like & behave how they like & take what they like as there no law
so in all this wilderness its no wonder some people set up little communitys with laws so that when drifters come along they can either stay outside or come in if they keep the laws
its like the wild west isnt it so we have a sherriff called little bill!  i think its great

ive got to be 1 of the most outspoken people here & ive never been told of! so its not that difficult to learn a few basic rules   
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)