konalavadome

"THREE WOMEN" {studio track}

• 15 Replies

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« on: December 12, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »
recording notes**

**this is really an odd/bizarre opus, set upon the foundation of a hard rock/hard alt rock tune in the spirit of that Seattle grunge sound along with some Smashing Pumpkins and David Bowie influences. 
dunno where the idea for a 4 part string quartet came from but seemed like a good idea at the time. it's OK if you find it totally annoying ;p  lol

also dunno what, consciously, the lyrics mean; i wrote them more 'freeform' in NYC while watching these 3 chicks on a rooftop who used to give these regular open air rooftop exhibitionist 'performances' viewable to anyone whose apartment was high enough to watch lol anyway all fodder for a weird track. baby cry samples are actually tuned to the notes that trigger them. same as for the female climax samples.

as you see, it's minimally produced in comparison to a lot of other MRI material; this is basically a live power trio track track where i went in afterwards and tracked a vocal and harmony which is carried throughout tune, and did 3 guitar solo tracks for the two solo-ish 'interludes' which are kinda like two mini bridges.  someone said once that this song was 'danceable' .... hmmm... maybe? not sure. maybe more at 'grove-able' ( or grunge-able groove ) 

i am so diggin' Steve's heavy shuffle hihat pattern which contrasts to the stampeding double-kick-drum patterns in those two 'mini bridges', of which the last one is also the song's outro ( which ends REALLY weird )  ;p

k i shutup now lol

THREE WOMEN
© Daren Thomas Turner / MRI

this one's for all you people
who are inside of me
this one's for all of you who never die and never sleep
this one is not my business because i do not care
i have this fantasy that i am never really there
this one's a hot potato and i am eating it cold...
there are three women coming at once in the open air
this one's for all you people who got inside for free
this one's for all of you who never say hello to me
this one is just like christmas...it comes just once a year
this one's for all of you who say(stay) a lot and never hear
this one's just like monday...this one's such a bore
but my three women welcome the way of the stop and stare

-----------------------------------------

Daren Thomas Turner: guitars, vocals, violin/viola/cello synth (keyboard triggered)
Steve Habo: drums
Daniel Denial: bass

http://soundcloud.com/abeautifulvirus/three-women

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »
Great start Daren, and a great back story too. I loved the grunge thing back in the day. Love the overall track mate, frantic, got my mosh boots on.

Good stuff mate,

Richy

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »
A baby crying as to be the most irritating sound on earth....but the rest was good!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »
so how did you get your notes to look typewritten?
im not going to mention smashing pumpkins this time ...oh dear i already have ;D
no i thought it was more placebo actually
anyway i think you have to be careful with sound effects.... unless you can make a connection with them & the song they will sound gimmicky & i didnt realy like them & i didnt even notice the string quartet thats what a baby crying does to me
i liked it i always like the sound you get ....they must be real drums how do you record them so well?
but it needs more to make it sound diffrent & lift it out of the sm*****g p*****ns  rut.......maybe a gimmick ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »
Hi,

Liked the song a lot, but I'm with the others on the effects - especially the baby crying. Good stuff.

Digger

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 10:36:22 PM »
This is obviously good. Its not my bag but even a blind man no white stick can see that this is a well crafted and stylish track. Baby up front hmmmm no... but the closeout, big tick for that.

Kudos to you on this one, I dont like it but thats my fault cause its obviously super good.

Florida Mike

• Open Mic
    • Michael Holmes Singer Songwriter Official Site
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 06:22:44 AM »
I like it, but would ditch the whole baby crying front part and get right to the song...the song is good, and you will lose people's interest with the front section in my humble opinion (IMHO) -- and if anything in the very last seconds add that (just maybe one baby cry at the very end of the track) as a kind of effect...Very solid groove and harmonies sound good too...a little ala Billy Corgan esque groove there! I like the lyrics too, especially the Christmas reference! Guitar/drums very solid and happening....funny you mentioned Seattle ---I literally just got home tonight from Seattle!
 Cheers mate

theLostLad

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »
I have to concur with others about the baby crying, having 2 young children it brings back fairly recent memories of sleepless nights!

Awesone opening riff, strong vocals. I think the strings intro worked, unusual though. Great song.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
can definitely hear siamese dream era smashing pumpkins at around 1.20. i can only marvel at the musicianship, being an incredibly mediocre musician at best. my only niche is my songwriting and my voice, sadly, but i wish i could play guitar better. the verse (or chorus) doesn't have a hook that really grabs my imagination enough for my liking, but that's personal preference. you've certainly nailed that 90s seattle sound. does the Paul McCartney Nirvana reunion thing excite you?

P.S keep the baby noises and the sex noises. it's interesting. it works.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Sunfighter

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »
This sounds great, nice guitar playing and drumming.  Nice sounding production in general in fact.

But for me it's the vocals stand out, especially where it's doubled with the harmony.

For me, the intro is too long, especially as the actual song has such a strong intro.

Nicely done, I liked it a lot, you should be very proud.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 02:40:55 AM »
If I ever find that baby i'll kill it!  :P
I really enjoyed the track. When i'm in the right kinda mood this would do just fine :)
I'm a sucker for the energy of rock music in its various guises.
The end was hilarious :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 08:10:05 AM »
This is not my bag & I don't like the crying baby either BUT once again you've demonstrated what a talented musician you are. Hard to fault from a technical point of view and as Allan has said, the quality shines through.

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 10:11:55 AM »
Awesome work! I'd love to see your recording process in action , really sounds like you recorded it in nirvanas studio , brilliance
Learner guitarist

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »
brilliant from a bout 37 secs onwards , babies crying  ??? rather hear nails on a blackboard  :D

playing was awesome ( i speak american ) great track ( apart from baby ) ;D ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

faero

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 10:08:08 PM »
You've managed the pumpkins sound really well with a bit if a twist and you get the guitars to dound the way I was trying on one my previous efforts but got the tone all wrong.  This one sits well with vocals.   I think it could do with something to lift it it - maybe a sting shift or change in the middle ?   As above I'm struggling with the baby sounds - I hear the idea but its tough to listen to.
I really enjoyed the main song though and the vocals melody was great.