Backmasking, anyone fancy a new comp?

• 11 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: November 28, 2012, 09:40:40 AM »
I've just written a song which I think would be perfect to record with some backmasked vocal messages. I googled the subject and there are loads of bands who've done this, it was all started I think, by the Beatles. Below is a list of songs which include subliminal messages when played backwards..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backmasked_messages

I just wondered if there was anyone who fancied having a go at this for a little winter competition..?

nuf eb thgim ti

;)  ..taTibah

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
omg are you serious??
will i have to learn to speak backwards tho?
dyou know my dad could write backwards almost as fast as he could write forwards ...it was amazing to watch :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »
omg are you serious??
will i have to learn to speak backwards tho?
dyou know my dad could write backwards almost as fast as he could write forwards ...it was amazing to watch :)

hehe, my DAW has a reverse feature, so I'm thinking record some dreamy backing vocals, recorded in tune/time with the reversed main track, then flip the whole lot back so that the backing vocal is backwards over the main song.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 07:04:02 PM »
Sounds like a fun idea but.......

I will be away from home from soon till end of Jan so can we start this in Feb please :)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:35:21 PM »
Sounds like a fun idea but.......

I will be away from home from soon till end of Jan so can we start this in Feb please :)

I was thinking it'd be a cool thing to do over the winter/christmas etc..

I guess we could stick a nice long closing date on it, ie. it could last ALL winter and finish in March or something. It's quite a tricky, complicated challenge anyway.

tbh I've got a house full and no time to even properly sit down and record rough demo's at the mo so the longer the better for me  :D

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:25:53 PM »

we could try finishing it last christmas ?
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:46:35 PM »
hahaha yes lets finish it before we start it ;D
ive never realy understood all this backwards message thing i mean if you say words backwards they dont say what they mean when they go forwards so no one would understand anything becos theyd only hear gibberish so its very silly...isnt it? or  is there a part of our subconcious brain that can unscramble stuff like that then & take it in even tho the real me doesnt know its happening? like subliminal advertising
i wouldnt mind having a go at that now that would be realy cool to try & get a secret message across to evryone here in a song but your not allowed to sing or say it...wow that would be clever & so much fun to try!
what about that!!? :o
in fact im going to do it anyway compitition or not
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »

i wouldnt mind having a go at that now that would be realy cool to try & get a secret message across to evryone here in a song but your not allowed to sing or say it...wow that would be clever & so much fun to try!
what about that!!? :o
in fact im going to do it anyway compitition or not

Oooh tricky, no vocals for the secret message at all? Purely instruments Tina? Wow that would be hard. I was thinking more along the lines of reversed vocals in the background but your way would be awesome if you could pull it off.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »
Well I already have a song lined up with some reverse vocals....

Is it cheating to submit a song I wrote beforehand  ;D
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 11:20:20 AM »
Well I already have a song lined up with some reverse vocals....

Is it cheating to submit a song I wrote beforehand  ;D

Sounds ok to me, it's properly in the spirit of it, you recorded the song before the idea was conceived :)

We should all have them finished really, this comp could start at the end.. ;)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
Ok so..

So far we have Tina, SF (but not til. February) and JN. Oh and me..

Anyone else up for this? It's a real challenge this one, something different, a bit of fun and without limits.

Pawprint has been great but it's all got quite serious and Tina's James Bond comp is almost over..

This'll be an opportunity to stretch your skills and get you thinking outside the box. It'll give you a reason to escape the family over the Christmas period and will challenge your writing and DAW capabilities. You can also have some fun with the subliminal messages you choose to include..

Anyone?   :P

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
Cool idea, leaves lots of space for creativity.
Count me in!
The long closing date sounds good, I won't be able to put in much work in what's left of this year.