konalavadome

"I will not be your bitch, tonight" (Live) - James Nighthawk

• 25 Replies

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »
Hi James, I liked this a lot.  My favourite so far.  It was nice to see you in action, (I couldn't get the video link to the last one for some reason.)  I thought the performance was really good and 'sold' the song for me.  I especially liked the wasted, almost talking parts, in the vocal.  Not the easiest thing to 'pull off' imo.   Needless to say, the guitar playing was 'class' and beautifully recorded (looks like you've got some serious mikes there, I'm jealous) ;D.   Another elegant, and sophisticated piece of songwriting.....thanks
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 07:03:14 PM »
i like the guitar playing, i could sit amd watch live guitar playing all day plus its a martin aint it, i want one the 00015M
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »
@everyone

Thanks for the well constructed reviews, some food for thought. It seems the schizophrenic nature of this song means that some people have "taken" to and against different aspects: some like the spoken half sung parts, others the melodic...and some like the direct chorus, others the direct chorus.

I know have to decide whether I should try to engage an audience this way again, or whether I should separate such feels into different pieces. As I say, thanks for the thinking points  ;D

@tina
Sorry for the naughty words, they are not a common thing for me don't worry ;)

@Binladeda
You are too kind. Also, Mic's used were a Neuman TLM, An AKG C1000 and an Audio Technica AT3035

@bewarethisboy
Watch this space re Album. My first is done, I am waiting for artwork and a finished website so there is a "package" ready for roll out. Needless to say I will keep the forum informed :)

JN
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Florida Mike

• Open Mic
    • Michael Holmes Singer Songwriter Official Site
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 04:14:55 AM »
Hey, hope you are well...and ready for Christmas coming...
Different song style from you and some were thrown a bit by it I think language wise etc, but I like the fact that you are bearing yourself and your writing in an unabshed setting live in the studio (though it's odd there is occasional video of a meter that is obviously not getting enough correct signal)   Anyhow I praise you for your performance and would look forward to your next song, or hearing your CD hopefully in the near future, all the best and have a lovely holiday season as well.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »
beautiful as always, James

regardless of the use of foul language  ;D

i would love some to hear some strings swelling up, but great work once again

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »
Hi James,

The fingerpicking is enjoyable and carries this song along nicely.  It's very brave to present a song as a guitar vocal in a live setting and I think that this is something that I would like to see/hear more often from songwriters on the forum.  I don't feel that I need to suggest too many ideas for improvement here, as I'm pretty sure that you have achieved your own writing goals but I can't help but think that the lyrics are a little too wordy.  Sometimes a simple statement that the listener can latch on to and understand immediately is in my opinion, the best approach.   I'm not a fan of the title but equally I think it has impact against the backdrop of your delicate and tuneful fingerpicking.  It is a melody that becomes increasingly attractive to the listener with repeated listens.   :)

Well done

vibesville

• Open Mic
  • That would be me then ;)
    • Listen to me here! :)
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 06:17:48 PM »
OK, it's not my thing... but I liked the guitar nicely played and sits well in this live recording.
The song came across as quite theatrical to me and I could easily see this in a musical score with all the bells and whistles ;)
Lyrically I'm a simple man who likes simple words that draw me in and maybe get me to reflect a little on life, albiet mine or someone elses.
I guess it didn't jell for me and I get what it's about, but I just felt maybe it was a little overcomplicated lyrically. It is a tune, but one that doesn't quite tingle the hairs on the back of my neck :)
“Acoustic laid back new wave punk indie folk with a sprinkle of deep meaningful day to day observations on how the world goes round and round and round and sometimes I actually notice this happening and decide it’s worthy enough to write a song about.”

https://www.facebook.com/vibesville
http://www.youtube.com/vibesville

Promote yourself here!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Share-the-Vibe/

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:37:30 AM »
I really enjoyed this one james.
I thought the lyrics were good and worked very well how you delivered them.
I do think on the end part of the chorus were the notes are too deep for you that
you should choose some different higher ones  ;D
I enjoyed it James, the guitar melody was very nice and like nooms said it was not tiring.
Nice work  :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

love it. kinda James Taylor folk loveliness meets Frank Zappa's Green Day's lyrical wellspring -

my only suggestion would be in those low notes just underneath the threshold of your range where you more whisper the words maybe switch to an octave above - it might sound like a yodel at first but may be interesting

gave it a LIKE on uTube.  ace job mate you have mad talent -

Daren

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »
Wow, thanks for resurrecting this post guys! Great points from all.

Yup the last two notes of the run down are at the bottom of my range. On the studio version I naturally had a better shot at hitting them as I wasn't playing/singing/posing for the video  ;D. But I may consider bumping the capo even higher for live versions going forward which should alleviate this.

I see the lyrics are as marmite as ever. I somewhat expected that with this song. It's one of the most personal things I have ever written. Some will take to this, others will be alienated. I am cool with that, but thanks to all for confirming suspicions on here!

I was gonna post another song tomorrow but I'll leave this thread to drop for a few days first  ;)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »
I thought I had commented on this one but couldn't find it  ???

I liked this a lot

I have said on quite a lot of reviews that I do not like it when the instrument "plays" the vocal melody behind the vocal - however, the subtle difference and counterpoint of the backing melody works really well, and must be a bitch to play!

The sound of the guitar is gorgeous with some lovely runs

I thought the lyrics were fine and I wasn't struck by the "colourful" language, which didn't sound out of place or gratuitous

The only bit that didn't sit right for me was the emphasis and intonation of "I will not be your bitch tonight" - it didn't feel right having th pause after "bitch" - probably just me!

The stand out bit for me is the descending melody leading in to the chorus

Reaching the lower end of your register did not stick out as an issue for me and sounded more akin to your natural breathy vocal on your other tracks - but as others have commented I would like to hear a version of the end bit sung up an octave - as long as it doesn't ruin the effect of the descending melody

Perhaps changing the key would be a better option?

Great stuff and I think it is my fav of yours - so far...
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic