"I will not be your bitch, tonight" (Live) - James Nighthawk

• 25 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »

The last of my recent live recordings. I'll be back on posting some studio productions soon!

This one has proven a little marmite. I have gotten some lovely comments... but some find the words jar with the tune. I can understand that. The bridge section and chorus came first, and it was immediate that this was going to be an "anti" break-up song, so the juxaposition was intended from that point. However I'll be interested to hear what other writers think about this, whether people "get" it I suppose.

I like it, and it is great fun to play, but I'll use the feedback to judge and amend future writings in this style :)

I will not be your bitch, tonight

Dear Love, Dear Lie, and all that came between
Not you, nor I, a glossy magazine
This sleight of hand, is over compensating
For each demand, your plea is hesitating

This shit is never ending
I will not see it through
And now this overarching lack of ambition
Is eating me, So I must go

I will not be your bitch tonight

We play pretend, to ease this devastating,
Hope;
Hope will end and leave us ever waiting
We tempt romance for all its fallacy
To coax a chance from all this lunacy

Why can’t I see the signs?
And this is not what I had in mind when I said that I would
Like you to stay calm

Instrumental

Dear love, goodbye, forgo the chivalry
Let bygones lie, retain some dignity
For each defence a lonely apparition
A call to arms, devoid of ammunition

So I bid you adieu
I will not be the one to answer
When you're calling out
For more, more, more, more

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 10:50:58 PM »
i like the feel of it,,the lyric is quite good..although i don`t use any profanity in mine..it`s got a good melody  ..not your usual thing,though..from what iv`e heard..7/10 says I.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »
Its nice but not your best work in my books.

The guitar play was wonderful the melodies and licks super. The sound faultless.The vocal sound great as usual but it just felt stilted in places like you were struggling how to phrase certain sections.  The sections that start "This shit is never ending" dont finish fluidly to me. The last two lines grate in their deliver. The other part that doesnt sit easily with me is around the word "hope" , i guess it just doesnt go where I expected it to.

Other than those two areas I had no problems with the performance. The rest was well delivered and of your usual high calibre, but sad to say, not your best piece, you see, you set such high standards :)

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:30:48 AM »
Hmmmm, difficult one this. Extremely well delivered, professional sounding, but I just couldn't connect with it. I liked the second two lines of the verse phrasing wise, and also your chorus 'I will not be your bitch tonight'. They provided the only hooks to me. I felt lyrically it was a little over complicated and inaccessible, and as such at times felt a little like style over substance.

I've read and re-read the lyrics and managed to drag the meaning out of the song, I think, but from a personal perspective this presents me with some problems as musically I tend to react best when grabbed immediately. This, to my ear, almost sounds as if you had the words written before the music and that you couldn't get them to fit so you just fitted them in anyway. Like when poetry gets set to music if that makes any sense.

This is either far, far above me or maybe a bit too clever.

I'm sorry if this sounds too harsh JN, I've listened to some of your other stuff and really enjoyed it. But this just didn't float the proverbial boat. I think as songwriters we write initially what we like and if others like it that's a big bonus. I just didn't like this one, so I hope you did!

I wanted to be as thorough as possible in my critique as you always put so much thought into yours,

Look forward to your next post,

Richy

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:27:23 AM »
Hi James

At first I wasn't sure but this song is a grower and it's (in my opinion) your hookiest song to date. Nearly all the lyrics are accessible to all  ;D so it has universal appeal, although obviously with the swearing probably an older audience may not like it!!! Very well structured too!

It reminds me a bit of an angrier Beautiful South type of song!  I can also hear a bit of REM. 

So in short it's good and I like it - interesting to have what sounds like a love song with angry lyrics sung in a soft lilting way!  ;)
x

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »
@Songsthatcry
Cheers. First time I have ever been reviewed with a score hehe! ;D

@Seriousfun
Thanks for the detailed listen. You raise good points. The descending sets of four in the bridge are unexpected agreed, as is the stop on the word "hope". The latter is intended to jar slightly, a stammer on the word and idea of "hope". The former is perhaps the marmite section I refer to when posting. Equally, I sing this section slightly "spoken", to go with the colloquial feel. Should others highlight it as a niggle I will consider singing it more "Straight", (However, oddly, my earlier demo did that and I find *that* way jarring to my ears. Odd!)

@Richy
Thanks muchly. Not harsh at all. I do tend to be a little poetic and this won't sit with everyone, I am at peace with this :)
Nope, the music mostly came first here, with the hook line appearing as I was playing. The run down appeared alongside the first bridge lyric and the rhythm and rallentando were there from the get-go

(I love it when lyrics just show up unannounced - the world's most welcome univited guests!!  ;D ;D)

@flossie
Thanks gal! Odd this one... I wouldn't think of it as hugely hooky, other than in select parts, but I guess the guitar pushing the vocal melody in places might do that.
I like both Beautiful south and REM so happy with those!!

And glad someone gets the angle, this sounds quaint but is more a statement of self, not a love song at all. But, there was love there:

Dear love, dear lie, and all that came between

...it just wasn't well placed  ;)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
Hi James,

Quality production is a given.
My favourite bit is the vocal run down for the last couple of lines after "This shit..." Although the first one doesn't seem to flow quite as nicely as the others.
I think this track is a grower. Reminded me a little of Warren Zevon's "My Shit's..." - although about a different topic.
Liked it.

Cheers,

Digger

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:47 AM »
Another very good live performance, impressive!
I thought the guitar playing was outstanding, great melodies and flawless performance.

I like the occasionally unusual and almost arhythmical way you present the vocals. I think this does a lot to keep things interesting, especially when you're accompanied by "only" one instrument and no rhythm section.

Personally I like those poetic, elaborately constructed lyrics - really my favourite kind.
That said, I'm not a huge fan of the chorus, lyrically or musically.
There's nothing really wrong with it, and while it is memorable on its own, I found it did not really connect with the rest of the song, which I thought was really great.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:49:41 AM »
I really like the guitar playing James, it's really nice.

I'm not over keen on the lyrics, sorry. It's not just the language, but more the lack of a really catchy element. The chorus doesn't jump out, it just seems to be an extension of the verses if you see what I mean. I'm listening along and I suddenly realise we're half way through the chorus again. The is no 'bam' 'it's me, your familiar friend, the chorus' to get me hooked. Maybe a bigger change in the melody or more drawn out phrasing might lift it, definitely some vocal harmonies on a bigger production would assist it but as a vox/guit track alone, that's where I struggle to warm to it. I can't find fault with the playing, the performance or the video, they are all very good, I just don't really like this song in it's current guise.

Sorry chap, I've preferred others of yours.

hab..

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »
james your romantic lyric style is always a winner with me but sh*t & b*tch spoilt the period feel
these recordings are way to bare for me tho i know you love to do this sound & they impress me cos i couldnt do it tho i wouldnt want to ....does that make sense
the guitar playing was super maybe the best ive heard you sound but the song sounded like you had the words first & tried to force them into the melody & they didnt fit so smoothly
but you still manage to sound original i dont know anyone else whos a regency era folk singer & if you did these in period costume i honestly think you would go down a storm....im serious!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 05:18:15 PM »
It's immaculately played, sung and produced. I love the guitar work and it's obvious that you have real talent. I'm not qualified to judge the technical merits of the song - can barely get my head around the basics of musical theory - but it's clear you know what you're doing. As for the song, I'm afraid it's one that I admired more than fell in love with. It's maybe the use of language or the subject matter; it's hard to say. I think you're brave to challenge people like this - I couldn't do it.

Kudos to you.

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »
yeah man i like it!, the hook is sounding great and it's nice to hear a song from you thats slightly off the wall, it shows your diversity and id personally hope to hear more like this from you, top video again btw
Learner guitarist

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
I seem to find myself enjoying your music more and more really. And to me again this song - in the context of a collection is really strong. Are you kind of working on an album JN? You must have enough material? I love (and envy) the guitar playing - so accurate!! And I think the melody weaves with the intricacy of the sound in a way that i find unique to your music really. I don't really like bad language in songs I am afraid it tends to spoil it for me - you are a very articulate writer of lyrics and while I get the juxtaposition of the lyric with the gentleness of the music - just not sure the song really benefits for it. Would it be more enjoyable if they were different - well for me - yes a little. I also know you have a distinct singing style and I really love it - but would love to see what would happen if you really grabbed the available note at the end. It would be a really nice full point on the final composition. But don't get me wrong - this is finished and ready to take to market - top quality song writing 9/10 - 1 deducted for the naughty words. All the best BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »
this is nice james, great melody works very well, doesnt tire..
simple & sparse
the chorus is very strong and direct, but i dont get so much from the verse lyric..dont seem so direct & natural..my fault im sure
but enjoyed it nonetheless.

for some reason my pc wont allow me to watch and listen,
just breaks up, so have to minus down the vid to hear it properly..

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:41:19 PM by nooms »
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 10:23:21 PM »
Nice tune , guitar playing is excellent , wish i could play like that !  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!