konalavadome

buy my album for 300$

• 1 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:21:44 PM »
my disaster girl album went tsunami for 3 days on bandcamp then it became obvious the forecast was wrong & it was just only light drizzle....so that is so madening when you see the total sh*te that sells there & made me look closer at it..cos this is bandcamp so evryones rubbish
thers a rapper there called sapient & you can buy his album for $10 tho why anyone would want to is a mystery for Dynorod...but for increments up to $300 you can buy the album with merchendise so for 300$ you get the album with a sticker pack autagrahed poster pint glass prison t shirt hoodie toy 12" vinyl & 1 exta song ...but no blue loo!
is this what people want... do i need to market some disaster girl knickers that fall down when you go out? are people this weird for extras  ...theres loads of bands doing this there ...is the music not enuff anymore...not material enuff for moderns
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:38 PM »
Kickstarter have a similar thing. Pledge the minimum and you get, say, a copy of the final product. Pledge $100 and you get a copy of the product, a t-shirt and access to exclusive development news. Pledge $250 and you get the game, shirt, news, a copy of the game to give to a friend, and all of them are signed by the whole development team.

It's a way of people getting more money while giving away less than an equivalent amount of stuff. The game itself will cost the developers almost nothing to actually manufacture (in terms of discs) once it's been programmed. They give you $2 worth of stuff for the $10 you pledged. The shirt costs them maybe $5 per shirt and the news costs them nothing (except the time to distribute it) so when you pledge $100 you're getting $7 worth of stuff. The $250 does the same again, only it adds another $2 game and the signatures (which again cost them nothing, unless you count the cost of the pens).

BUT THEN there's all the indirect costs of it all. That's stuff like the wage they pay the programmers (which may be nothing, if it's a kickstarter, just friends working together for free). There's the cost of marketing the game, because they need some hype before it goes live. There's distribution costs, there's costs associated with owning and maintaining the computers they'll use, there's stationary costs (remember those pens we didn't count in autograph costs?)

So yes, people charge a lot for those 'CD plus extra' type stuff, but it's not because they think the public needs more than just music, it's because they need more than just $5 per CD. If only one person a month buys your CD then you'd rather you sucker them into paying $300, because that's a significant financial contribution to your income, than just $5. These artists on Bandcamp can't rely on massive fanbases buying cheap albums and the artist making a decent sum from that, they have to rely on a dozen fans buying the big deals.
Defective Elector