konalavadome

Ever doubt your abilities as a writer?

• 9 Replies

Stroller2010

• Busker
« on: November 10, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this. I've been struggling with school, home life etc., usual rubbish, and it means I haven't had the time or motivation to write anything decent for a while. And now I think, maybe I'm just not good at it and I should stop trying. It's really doing my head in at the moment, and I'm just asking if anyone else feels like this sometimes and what you do to feel better.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
All the time  ;D ;D....what do I do ??.......keep playing because I don't give a toss about my abilities. I just love writng songs, and songwriting people.........Don't worry about it  ;D.....Musicians have more fun than anyone else, whatever your abilities are.. ;D ;D
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »
I always question not only my writing abilities but also my singing and playing abilities. I only started out 5 years ago so I have an awful lot to learn and catch up on. When I get down on myself I have a little trick that I do....

I listen to the first few songs I ever wrote and recorded and then I listen to some re-recordings I did of them some years later and finally something new that I have just written and like. This lets me see that yes, I am progressing. No matter how bad I am, or think I am, at least I am getting better and as there is potential for more improvement I am motivated to continue on. Try it sometime, it will make you feel like what you are doing is right and rewarding in itself.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 09:46:07 PM »
what Bin says...
i love songwriting too much, to ever consider not doing it

but i doubt my abilities, yes
because i may have none

but that is not a big problem for me, to just continue doing it

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 09:49:28 PM »
I reckon being motivated in the arts is one of the hardest things. You have to think you're not good just enough to make you feel the need to improve. You also need to think you're the shit just enough to not want to give up.
Defective Elector

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 01:39:05 AM »
Yes I doubt my writing abilities all the time. It's just part of being a songwriter. The trick is to recognise that and not let it make you give up.

Every time I finish a song I suffer from this anxious thought: "what if I can't write another one?"

Your own insecurities about your writing or performing have nothing to do with the reality of your music. I remember seeing an interview with Elton John - apparently he goes on stage every night wondering why people pay money to listen to him.

Says it all really :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 01:53:41 AM »
i think we all think that , but then as serious fun said, you only have to listen to your stuff from a while back to know how much your ability has moved on.
Also it is something you learn , you're not born knowing it all. As long as your enjoying it you should just press on with it. i'm waffling now haha  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »
When I was younger, I believed that all of my ideas for writing songs had to be great.  What I mean by that is the initial spark or buzz that I got from the first few chords and vocal melody had to make me believe that I was on to something special.  I now strongly believe that this  approach was setting me up to fail. I'd set the bar too high and this inevitably, led to writers block.  My approach to writing has changed over time.  I now believe, that  It's important to simply begin the writing process.  It doesn't always have to be inspired. Somewhere along the line, something happens to to turn a quite ordinary idea into something that I'm pleased with. It might be a new chord that is introduced, a lyric or snippet of a melody.   From that, you can then build.  A song can suddenly spring to life.  What at first appears to be mundane, seems to take on a new energy/sparkle.  I think the process of worrying too much, stifles creativity.  When you relax and write without imposing too much pressure on yourself, you create the right conditions that encourage successful writing.  If you don't already, then try this approach.  You never know, it just might help! :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:27:57 PM by Paul »

Stroller2010

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 07:44:46 PM »
Thank you for all the nice comments, it's very much appreciated. I just think its my frustration with the entire world at the moment, but hopefully something great will come out of it.

Sevla

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 07:55:02 PM »
There are already some wise words here. But don't give up if you love songwriting. Anyone trying to create something artistic will go through this. Can you channel this feeling into a song - are you angry about it? Write a angry song. Are you sad about it? Write a sad song. etc etc. Emotion is where great songs come from.