konalavadome

New Song - All Under the Sun

• 3 Replies

shucky2011

• Busker
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:34:49 PM »
Hi guys, this is a song I'm working on at the moment.  I'm still working on the lyrics for the last two verses which I think need tweaking.  I'm looking for any constructive criticism/advice.  Thanks

Capo 3rd Fret

Verse 1:   
CG
I gave my heart out
FC
To live from the sound
CG
Of wisdom and madness
FC
And all that’s about
It struck me
Quite early
I was not devout
Em G
Like the people of old
FC
The blinkered and stout

Verse 2:   
With stories and law
Passed down from before
I questioned the wisdom
Of scripture and more
It struck me
Quite early
We ought not restore
Nor hold to some book
That ken glory in gore

Verse 3:   
Through the minds eye of seeing
What was there to be seen
The beauty of language
The birds and the trees
It struck me
Quite early
I could hold
On to these
And live my life quite happily

Verse 4:   
But I've seen seasons
And reasons
To scorn every one
The rotting of autumn
The cold & the sun
But this is no reason
To hurt anyone.....

Verse 5:   
I made me some water
To bring forth the trees
Got me servants and maidens
And all in between
I gazed in their faces
And felt so guilty
We split up the land
And then we were free

Verse 6:   
But the man which is crooked
Cannot be made straight
He who is bitter
Is hard to placate
I’ve built up his houses
And dug him his lakes
I planted his vinyards
And never got thanks

Verse 7:   
I hammered me cutlass
I made me a gun
With which I might
Rise up
And tarnish the sun.
The people’s oppressor
Must feel so lonesome
With riches, and maidens
All under the sun...

Bridge:   Instrumental

------------------------------
--2-2-2/3/2--0----------------
----------------------3--------
-------------------------------

--------------------------------------
------- 0-0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0-0-0-----
------- 0-0-0-0-0----0-0-0-0-0-0-----
-2---- -2-2-2-2-2----0-0-0-0-0-0-----
----0- -0-0-0-0-0--3------------------
---------------------------------------

Verse 8:   
Fear not from the lady
Whose broken embrace
Fills you with anger
A void to replace
Cruelty is madness
Yet riddled with grace
There’s beauty in sadness
And a lovers embrace

Verse 9:   
The beauty of madness
When raving in grace
My pupils so wide
Taking in all of space
Walking and talking
And smiling in faith
At one with world
Another time and place

titiami

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »
adding two more verses will make it much more longer and tiresome to listen too,  i don't quite feel the lyrics.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
I like it, but probably because it's a lot like some of the stuff I write (or at least I think it is...)

I have no idea how fast-paced the song is so I won't comment on whether or not you should add more verses. At this point it looks long enough but I can see how adding more can take it from 'story' to 'journey', so basically it's up to you but don't fxck it up :D

The rhyming of 'seasons' and 'reasons' feels a bit lazy. I get that it's used to create that sense of 'I've seen it all' but there's far more original-sounding ways to do that. It also steps away from the otherwise slightly cryptic style of the lyrics.

'I hammered me cutlass'
Not sure if 'me' is a typo or deliberate 'pirate speak' but I think it's a bad choice here. The song sounds very intellectual and frankly that tone doesn't suit pirate speak. It's kind of like how you'd never hear Stephen Fry say 'Homedog'. Unless, of course, the whole song is in a 'pirate voice' (which would really be an appalling gimmick).
Defective Elector

Innominate

• Open Mic
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:19 AM »
There is some good and some not so good in here.

Verse 1: Starts out weak to me, too vague and grandiose. Not clear what any of it means so I'm not yet connected with the song. I think it's important to start out strong, make a connection right away. The second half starts to form a narrative I can follow from "It struck me" on. Why not "around" instead of "about"? Especially when the next rhyming lines end in "out".

Verse 2: Very concise, expresses the idea very well. Doesn't feel like any lines are a wasted and it's easy to follow along with and understand. Now I'm hearing a message.

Verse 3: The first two lines are much like the first verse and it feels like a mouthful because it does not following the same meter as verse 2. You have added 2 syllables to each line of the first two lines, presumably crammed in before the first beat which starts on "minds" and "there"? This is one of the issues I have with verse 1 as well but it might sound better than it reads. 

The more matter of fact, frank tone of the second verse is also lost and suffers for it I think. Lines 3 and 4 are much better and drop the vagueness like verse 2 does. In 5 and 6 you return to the familiar phrase, "It struck me quite early" and that's good, familiarity is good.

Verse 4: You've changed the meter here quite a bit, is this a bridge or change-up or a chorus? Not crazy about the first two lines, they seem again, too vague to have meaning. Lines 4-7 are great, the idea is a good one.

It's like you were saying, "Hey, i've seen some shit", then you list some life experiences symbolized by natural events that illustrate a variety of pleasant and unpleasant things. Then you finish with, "But it's not an excuse to be an asshole". I think that's the idea expressed? I think first half can be expressed better. This also sounds like a chorus and would probably work well if you chose to go that route.

Verse 5: Who are you that you can make water? I still don't have a clear idea of who is speaking. Is the narrator changing throughout the song? I'm confused. This meter is close to the second verse which kind of set the tone for me when I was reading. It was the strongest, cleanest, most memorable rhythmic pattern so I was happy to return to it. How about "Got me some servants and maidens and ****"? I do not like 'guilty', it feels very awkward and the second half(from "I gazed") still feels a little rough. Knowing who is speaking would also help this verse a lot but maybe I'm the only one who doesn't know.

Verse 6: Back to the memorable meter! Another clear verse that states an idea well. Maybe, "Is hardest to sate"? The last line doesn't quite hit it. Second best verse. Who this narrator might be is clearer here and I want to know more about this character now, I sympathize with him. 

Verse 7: I will echo the curious "pirate" speak comments above. Something like this might be better,

I hammered my cutless
And made my own gun
Hoping to rise up
And tarnish the sun.

I connected with the concept of a man tarnishing the sun in a very David vs Goliath, mortal vs god, impossible task sort of way. You've even thrown in slavery overtones and oppressiveness. With the empathy of verse 6, I'm rooting for this nameless person trying to accomplish something so seemingly epic and justified. The finish to the verse leaves me wanting though. It feels like two separate ideas. I want to know what happens next in the struggle. What happened when he tried to rise up? Or maybe explain another of the preparations for this fight? He's got his cutless and gun to tarnish the sun,

"I've forged my own wings
And i've learned how to fly
Soon i'll be greeting you,
watching you die"

or

"The people imprisoned,
who sweat in your fields,
can rest in my shadow
when I come for thee"

Not great writing but I hope that gives you an idea of what I mean. This is a story of violence and battle, a war cry for justice, freedom etc. It got me wanting to make my own cutless and gun and join in the fight. That's an important thing to note, you made me feel the battle cry and intensity. Maybe focus on that feeling.

Verse 8: I don't know what any of this means. Don't know who the lady is, or why her broken embrace might fill anyone with anger and a void. How does it relate to the last character with the slaving and sun tarnishing? It is vague and hard to really connect with because of that. Also "cruelty' feels awkward as does the "and" in the last line.

Verse 9: Like the last verse. I don't know whose narrating now or what the story is anymore. I can't relate to any of this. It seems vague and grandiose again. Also your use of the word "faith" is confusing, faith in what? The beginning of the song had the narrator abandoning religion didn't it? If the beginning of the story had someone lose their faith, maybe the end should either restore that faith or find faith in something more rewarding or truthful?

So to sum up. There are a number of lines that break the meter or use words that are very awkwardly crammed into the rhythm. It might sound better sung but not read. You establish a strong rhythmic pattern in the second verse but lose it in multiple places. When it isn't there the lyrics are weaker for it and I was simply waiting for it to come back, when it does I'm happy again.

The story to me lacks narrative consistency(possibly because I'm dumb and don't understand it). The sentiment in Verse 2 is strong and clear as is the writing; verse 4 has a compelling message but needs some work to be better expressed. Maybe use it as a chorus as it sounds like one.

Starting in verse 5 and ending in verse 7, you shift to a story with slavery overtones, or at least oppression. I didn't feel this in the other verses, before or after, so it almost feels like it came from no where. It makes me confused because I have to learn about a new message, new struggles and a new character. A song should have a strong central idea that remains the over all focus. Too many messages and ideas are too hard to follow to be honest. This part is, however, the most compelling idea in the song. It is a strong musical idea with lots of room to explore. The first half of verse 7 particularly is quite angry and wonderful aside form the use of "me" but it feels like the second half switches gears abruptly.

I definitely think this song needs refining but there are some awesome ideas in it. Being unable to hear it doesn't help so who really knows? As always, I don't know what I'm talking about really so take my words for whatever they're worth to you. Keep writing though.

Cheers.