konalavadome

Home

• 10 Replies

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 03, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »
Hi All,

Finally finished a couple of new songs. This is the first and my favourite of the two. It fits in towards the end of the project I'm trying to do. Dark and depressing, but it's part of the story. Don't expect "Shiny Happy People." I wanted Chloe to take on the role of someone who has reached the end of the line, so to speak, hence her style of vocal. Think of the song more as part of a modern musical, rather than any attempt at some kind of pop song. Thanks for listening. Any comments are much appreciated.

All the best,

Digger

Home

Got lost in this town
Wrong turns
All the roads look the same
Got a ticket
For the chemical train

Not sure who I am
Amnesia
It's a circle of blame
Misunderstood
Can you tell me my name?

Chorus

Is this
All there is?
Cos I don't think
I'd miss a thing
If it all went away
If this
Is all there is
And there's a god above
Who hears my prayers
Won't you take me home?
Take me home

I can't hear your voice
Bad signal
Will you say it again?
Where are you?
Are you lost in the shade?

There's a hole in the sky
Dark void
It's calling my name
Your slave
You've got me in chains

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 03:13:59 PM »
A link would be helpful... here, let me help you with that:

http://soundcloud.com/digger-72/home

;)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
sounds like it`s based on snow patrol run..or shades of it....i take it you`ve press ganged your daughter in to doing the vocals,,which are good  again,,tempo could do to be a bit higher...only had one listen ..so might be wrong on that point.

Dutchbeat

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »
nice atmosphere, and those extra "take me home" vocals at the end are very good
good song, but i was also wondering about the tempo, a bit highre? and these extra vocals on earlier parts too? just my thoughts...

but very nice indeed!

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:33:39 PM »
Good song.

True, tempo could be little higher ... and may be the song could be shorter or the beat could be different
at the end of the song ...  It gives more variation.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 03:09:54 AM »
An interesting start to this, the sounds certainly drew me in. Others have mentioned the tempo, I wonder if it might just need a a faster tempo for just the chorus, it does tend to plod though to my ears. But I loved the lyrics and the melody line. Lots of sounds in there as well and I did wonder about having the pads/synths going all the way thru. It might be nice to start with them, as you have done and then clean it up as the vocal comes in and then bring them back in for the chorus which would allow it to really build and stand out. At the moment, with the pads/synths running all the way out the chorus blends in with the verse too much. The tempo isnt helping to define the chorus either. Just my two pennies worth, and with the exchangerate in my country thats really only about halfpenny worth of ideas.

But a nice song, I did enjoy it. Vocals stood out nicely and carried the song well.

Kudos to you.

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:19:38 AM »
Hey Digger!

Is this an old song - it seems familiar ?

Very' I feel you ' intro and interesting chords which grab your attention

I have given your singer a lot of praise here but she sounds a little thin here , particularly in light of the dark theme and arrangement - I also think she's flat as well so it might be worthwhile revisiting the key - hope it's ok to say this :-)

The song itself is fantastic - dark and brooding lyric and arrangement - it's just my kind of thing :-)

Well done!

Kafla

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 10:22:41 AM »
God is this your daughter singing ?

Hope I haven't offended mate - just think it could be a semitone or full octave higher to sit more naturally in her range

Also the change to the chorus is fabulous :-)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:26:58 AM by Kafla »

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »
Hi All,

First up thanks Michael - I am a Muppet :)

Influences for the song; I was after the atmosphere/feel of Nothing Compares To You and Streets of Philadelphia, but with some of the sounds of Angelo Badalamenti's work on Twin Peaks. Run is in there as well as I love that song - Snow Patrol's best in my opinion.

Tempo - yep. The bass guitarist said it started slow and got slower. He wasn't keen on the song at all to start with, but grew to like it a little.

I'll experiment with those synths. Originally I had another synth doing a drone which was christened "the dog whistle," again by the bassist. He said it was the worst noise he'd ever heard, so i took it out.

Kafla - not offended. Chloe sung it how I asked her to - downbeat. I told her to imagine she was sat on a street corner, alone, contemplating suicide. Which is what the song is about. I think she found it hard to be honest.

Thanks for listening and the feedback.

Cheers,

Digger

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »
I think the lyrics are fantastic Digger. I read them and re-read them before I listened. They are dark and very emotive. I think you 100% achieved what you were aiming for with them. Very well done.
So, the song as a whole. Loved the short intro, then I also felt it could have been quicker. I'm not convinced your daughter was out of tune, and I reckon if the whole thing sped up a touch she would've sounded right on the money.
I found it both haunting and memorable.
Good stuff mate.

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »
Nice atmospheric track, Digger :)

I'm loving those very organic sounding synthy bits you put in there.

Great lyrics too, very dark, and yet kind of uplifting towards the end - unbeatable combination !

The sound really does remind me a bit of the Twin Peaks soundtrack, especially the electric guitar parts - gotta love the series  ;D

Personally I thought the song could use a bit more tempo, but I see you're not trying to make an actual (radio) song, but rather a part of a soundtrack, and in that case the tempo probably works well.

In your previous posts your daughters vocal performance was amazing, hate to say that with this one I could not really "feel" the song's mood in the vocals, and I had the feeling a few notes were slightly off-key (but who am I to judge off-key singing).

All in all a nice addition to the soundtrack project I think