Jean-Michel GEORGE - English/French composer and singer - Soundtracks and Pop

• 7 Replies

Scape27

• Busker
  • Still on track
    • For a collection of recent songs and soundtracks
« on: November 03, 2012, 02:03:17 PM »
Hi,

I don't know about you, but every now and again, I go through the musical ideas that I jot down over the months (no, make that years) and it strikes me just how much work and material never get through to a finished composition or song. Annoying ...

So, seeing it's such a rainy weekend here in France, rather than work on something new, I thought I'd try and piece some of these little sketches together and shine a little light on them, rather than leave them to gather dust for yet another six months.

Call it a medley, a musical omelette, junk-food or just a complete waste of (your) time, the fact is it's proven to be quite an interesting challenge finding the transitions, FX and overall structure that enables this mixture of genres and soundsets to blend into something that sounds relatively coherent and pleasing, at least to my ears.

http://soundcloud.com/jean-michel-george/patchwork

Besides your comments on this little musical exercise that would be, as always, greatly appreciated, I'd love to here from you on the subject of how you deal with unfinished work.

Cheers
JM
Jean-Michel GEORGE, English/French Songwriter, Singer and Composer for Media.
Whether you're looking for a composer, arranger, lyricist, singer or simply trying to turn your musical ideas into professional sounding finished tracks, I'm always happy to collaborate with other artists. I deliver quality mockups and songs in a wide variety of genres.
http://soundcloud.com/jean-michel-george

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
The clarity of the recording is top quality to my ear....you`ve got a good voice as well....no doubt some of our female members will concur.. ;)

I liked the medley....you need to develop your ideas more..with someone or by yourself.

Florida Mike

• Open Mic
    • Michael Holmes Singer Songwriter Official Site
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
Very nice Indeed, love the piano, nice lush and jazzy. Reminds me of "Everything but the Girl" whom I really like...I really enjoy the harmony sections with the female voice the most. Very clear on pitch vocals, well done, great voice!
I personally got tired of the Rhythmic stick track in the B section, I thought it was a nice color but a bit busy...and I wanted to really zone in there on the rest of the track...also would use less of the camera snapshot sound, but I like at the end, I think it was the Autowind sound effect I thought kind of whiney. But mix, songwriting are all about being true to your innerminds vision, this was a cool one, thanks for sharing it !
Really fun piece with the sections stiched together, bet you had a blast doing it! I had a blast listening to it, have a great weekend and all the best!
 :)

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
A beautiful recording with a great deal happening to keep my interest.  Shades of The Isis Project are occasionally evident in this recording but there are so many other influences evident too.  I can hear the influence of both George Michael and Gary Barlow in your vocals.  It's a delightful recording  in so many ways!

Scape27

• Busker
  • Still on track
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »
StC, Mike, Paul,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm particularly happy that you find the voice appealing  ;)

I'll be sure to check out your work too

Cheer,
JM

Whether you're looking for a composer, arranger, lyricist, singer or simply trying to turn your musical ideas into professional sounding finished tracks, I'm always happy to collaborate with other artists. I deliver quality mockups and songs in a wide variety of genres.

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »
Crikey. Blimey. I could listen to a whole lot of this! It's extremely well recorded, that's obvious, but that aside it's just so much fun to listen to. I bet it was just as much fun to make.
Can't really pigeon hole it at all but it's got a great, groovy continental feel to it and such variety. I'm honestly in a bit of awe here. Dead impressed. Agreeing with the George Michael thing and that's a massive compliment in my book, Wham aside!
Utterly fabulous!

Scape27

• Busker
  • Still on track
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 10:01:28 PM »
Thanks for your enthusiasm and warm words Richy. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It was fun to make actually. Quite a challenge to piece everything together.

Oh, and if you do indeed want a whole lot more, be my guest by all means  ;)

I pursue both songwriting (in various styles, mostly pop-rock and jazz oriented) and soundtracks/film-scoring. There's currently about 10 of each that I have put in to separate sets on the SoundCloud link below.

Hope you find some more tracks there to your liking. In the meantime I'm going to check out your songs too.

Have a virtual Pastis on me my friend  :)

Cheers Richy,
JM

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »
Well it's very competent and, as such, criticism is kind of pointless. I presume it sounds just like you intended it to. Great intonation on the voice, great playing  etc etc. That's all I feel you can do in reviews here - judge how successful people are at achieving what you think they were aiming for - and you get a very high mark for that. I can't say I'd listen to it again though ... but that's probably just a taste difference .... although the shutter sound did my head in after a while I must say ...
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.