konalavadome

Today's The Day - revisited

• 9 Replies

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:38:57 AM »
Thanks to those who commented on my original version of this song, this version represents the changes I made in relation to the comments I received.

1. I fired the muppet drummer ( I did retain one of his rolls which is used twice, otherwise it is an entirely new drum track.)

2. I replaced the guitar arpegio. I also changed it froma single electreic arp track to two acoustic tracks to give a wider sound.

3. I retained the sax solo but give it a little more drive, a bit more volume and some additional reverb.

4. I didnt touch the vocals but I did boost the backing choir in the chorus.

5. Some minor level alterations and I think that was all I did.

you can find the updated track here:

http://soundcloud.com/allan-kilgour/todays-the-day-revisited

Hope it sounds better and not worserer ( is that a word?)

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:33:17 AM »
I don't think I've heard the first version of this, but I do like this one.
Excellent vocals, man ! :)

The backing choir is a nice touch, but sets in a bit too abruptly with every chord change I think... I would set the attack time a bit higher here (I'm assuming it's from a plugin?)

I enjoyed the guitars coming in at about 0:18, they sound great to my ear!

However, I did get the feeling that the main acoustic guitars playing throughout the track were just a bit out of tune, especially the higher strings... Don't know if that's just me, you might wanna check it yourself (I noticed it in particular around 1:55 2:00)

I also noticed a few spots where you can hear something in the track (I think the acoustic guitars) being a bit out of rhythm, like two back-to-back recordings not fitting together seamlessly (Don't know how else tho explain this with my limited knowledge of the English language...) 2:18 is one of these parts to give an example.

Oh god, I just read through my comment and it all sounds so negative... please don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy the song :)
It's just some technicalities I found slightly out of place

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
Thanks for the comments Michael. In view of what you suggested I have now replaced the acoustic arp and in fact went back to an electric arp. And I tweaked the choir in the chorus. Couldnt find the out of rhythym sections. Cant understand why they are there as I looped the rhythym guitar so there is no reason why it should suddenly appear out unless its jarring with a particular drum fill??

Thanks for the input.

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:28:18 PM »
great little tune! chipper positive stuff gets ya bouncing!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 07:38:56 AM »
Really enjoyed this and it's growing on me! Few technicalities, but who am I to comment! Great stuff.

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
This is much stronger and motors along very nicely. The rhythm is quite complex in places for the listener and I felt just a little uncomfortable with some of the timing and how it was landing. And yes I think there is a tuning issue on one of the guitars. But strong song - liked it lots. Thanks for posting. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

faero

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »
Proper catchy song -   You might want to consider singing today's the day s little less often but aside from comments above on tuning the only thing that really was odd was the brutal fade out ;)   To me this type of song would reach a natural end without much trouble?   Great work and memorable stuff!

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 11:24:34 PM »
blimey this woke me up, had the cans turned right up from listening to stc..
lovely optimistic track, genuine vocal
keyboards work lovely swells up like that
sax was a surprise, cuts right thro
great stuff sf

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 11:31:28 AM »
Hi,

Great to hear something upbeat and positive. I've found it's much harder to write this sort of material than it is to write downbeat stuff. Why is that?

This is a much improved track over the first version. I love that choir sound you've got; I've never heard anything like that before - very effective a bit like The Jordanaires on coke!

Great production and a nicely delivered vocal - punchy, bright and spot on and glad to hear that "Animal" on the drums has been sacked ;D

Very good track indeed.

Kafla

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
hey SF

I liked this song to begin with but the new recording is cleaner and crisper and the changes work really well.

A beautiful and uplifting song  ;D