opinions on Pussy Riot...?

• 6 Replies

Dutchbeat

« on: October 31, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
well, i thought as thé most important songwriterforum in the entire universe, we perhaps also have an opinion on this  ;D

i am not fully convinced by the songwriting capacities of this band, but there still is no need to imprison anyone for making poor music (or did i miss the point here?)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:39:52 AM by Dutchbeat »

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »
 ??? ??? ???

sorry , i dont have the foggiest as to what you are talking about ,

maybe a few links ?
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:15:02 PM »
they are a russian girl punk rock band who have been jailed for political protests
i dont like political bands & if there trying to sound like the Oi punk bands then im not interested musicly but i thought a lot of the riot grrl bands were good & why shouldnt women be loud & heard...but this is in russia & russia has changed a huge amount but i think its wrong to judge other countries ways by our own ways .....we certainly havent got things right
i
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »
Yeah I heard about this. Not sure really. They shouldn't be in jail for expressing themselves but they did do it in Russia, so maybe they should not be surprised by the consequences of their actions. If their story keeps the human rights/womens rights issue in Russia as a global news story then I guess that's the silver lining.

Here's a link Andy..  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19297373

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 01:10:32 PM »
They shouldnt be jailed, but what they did was poorly handled.

They are right, IMO to protest the fact that a church leader is throwigin his support behind putin/getting involved in politics too much but gate crashing a load of worshippers in their church and hurling obscenities at them is not the way to go about it.

I'm not pro-church or pro-religion at all, but I feel too often it becomes a scape goat for many things.
People tend to confuse the organisation with the actual religion. Many people who worship are not often supporters of their church and the actions it takes, they just like to practice their faith and beliefs.
Thats not an evil thing at all IMO. Yet it is the worshippers that often have to take all the flak...

The fact that they staged an unannouced punk concert in a church, in the middle of service seems to me to be more of stunt to intentionally cause controversy (and raise their profile, which they have done quite spectacularly) rather than actually raise awareness about crucial issues.

And of course, they are Russian so they should've known what was coming...

But Russia is insane for even handing down such sentences. But what do you think would happen in the UK if a group of people intterupted a sunday service and started hurling obscenities all over the place?
If nothing were to happen to them, is that right?

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »
they are a russian girl punk rock band who have been jailed for political protests
i dont like political bands & if there trying to sound like the Oi punk bands then im not interested musicly but i thought a lot of the riot grrl bands were good & why shouldnt women be loud & heard...but this is in russia & russia has changed a huge amount but i think its wrong to judge other countries ways by our own ways .....we certainly havent got things right
i

I agree with not judging other countries by our own ways totally.
You can't barely walk around a city in the UK without passing some group of youths that would more than happily hurl abuse at you. If you dared to answer back (or even look at them), look forward to a beating or worse.
The worst thing is that nothing is done about it. Social life, respect and love of your community is degrading so fast in this country. Just the other day My gf was in the kitchen when a group of boys stopped by our house to use our drain (which is in a tiny little bit of garden next to the path) as an ash tray. To do that, they had trample over a load of herbs which she had planted the day before.
Thats just a minor example...

we certainly haven't got things right in this country...and even though technology etc progresses, I would say that life, in terms of humanity, respect, materialism, community.. is much worse now than when my parents were young, or when their parents were young...

HillbillyJim

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »
In terms of judging other countries...

I don't think this is really very different, culturally, or in terms of, 'an example being made', to Charlie Gilmour swinging on the Cenotaph in the tuition fees protests... The British judicial system and press in that sense has really only acted better than their Russian counterparts by the margin that our prisons are less abject.
"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour,
But Heaven knows I'm miserable now.
I was looking for a job, and then I found a job.
And Heaven knows I'm miserable now."