konalavadome

Technology Distractions

• 2 Replies

Biggyzoom

• Busker
« on: October 28, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »
Here's the problem, when I try and write songs it's often the case that I can only do it with the sound of a full band (usually I'm trying to write metal/rock/etc) as that's how I hear new riffs in my head. I only have solo projects at the moment.

With this habit, I always try to write or even just get my ideas down with a DAW and do a whole band section. Now it's usually at this point where I get distracted by the sounds/timbres of the instruments especially when it comes to high gain guitars and drums and then I waste time trying to correct these timbres even if I'm using a preset that I created myself previously at which point I eventually lose interest or I forget the riff or the riff simply loses it's feel because I don't have the right sound.

I don't want this. I wish I had the ability to get the riff down and worry about all the technical stuff later but I can't. A background and a diploma in tech/engineering has left me with a rigid and precise sense of detail which is great for mixing/producing but I can't get any of my stuff down.

Can anybody offer me any help for breaking this horrible habit and maybe I'll finally get one of my many ideas actually started?

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:45:50 PM »
You could try the immersion music method.

The aim is to write and record 20 songs in one day. Sound ridiculous? That's the point. It helps you to let go of the idea of perfection and reconnect you with the energy that your music naturally has. You know, the thing that excites you about it.

By eliminating the time to worry over details, you'll be forced to capture the track with anything that vaguely works. And you may also end up with a load of usable new material.

Good luck with it :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

JazzyRoy

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »
I think the best way to break a (bad) habit is to change your behaviour everyday. In the beginning it might be hard but then you get used to the new habit and the old one disappears.
"Play that funky music white boyy!" - James Brown