konalavadome

Does anyone follow the listening post (Tom Robinson)?

• 10 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »
Just thought I'd share this with you as I've been following for a few weeks now, and it's become my weekend treat.

A selection of independent music hand-picked by the team at BBC6 - the standard is really high

http://freshonthenet.co.uk/

This week's selection is here http://freshonthenet.co.uk/batch36/

Enjoy :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:40:45 AM »
 Didn't know anything about this....thanks tone ;D........the cynic in me thinks that the judges must have some sort of guidelines regarding the selection process, apart from recording quality...very eclectic choice of songs.  Nothing there that hits me over the head as being really commercial, arty/modern/youth is what I'm getting ;D  Have you ever put anything up for selection ??....Might give it a go with 'shed rock' and tinas lyrics  ;D ;D ;D..........What do you think tina??
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:53:41 AM by Binladeda »
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
I have tried this,  :( No joy unfortunately. 

I have only submitted one song it has to be listened to by several members of the team and apparently they get loads but can only pick a few that they all agree on.  It is a very high standard but I reckon worth a punt!!!  ;D

I think shed rock and the lyrics will stop them in their tracks - would be great!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:19:26 AM »
As far as I can tell, the only solid criteria seems to be a certain standard of production. You don't hear much that sounds very demo-y on there.

But of course, it's a showcase of independent music, so there's a definite 'indie' feel to it, but I've heard a few very commercial sounding tracks on there too.

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »
Looking forward to checking this out later.

thanks tone!  :)

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 09:45:46 AM »
Looks promising, some cool tunes on there.

I think I'll be checking this out every now and then to see if any of the forumites makes their list ;)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »
More info:
http://spam.link.removed

Hmmm, new member, doesn't even say hello and introduce themselves, posts 'more info' links on multiple threads.. LOOKS LIKE SPAM. I wont be clicking your link, even if your intentions are good and genuine, you've gone about it the wrong way..
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:44:24 PM by tone »

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:25:40 PM »
maybe im a bit pissed but i cant stand this insane life or death scramble to be noticed im not going to prostitute myself anymore for 5 secs of fame {i know it use dto be 15 mins but now its down to 5secs) ive tried it before & when i seee todays young being brainwashed & herded into pens at the fame market to be taken to the abbotoir of success im horrified how bad its all is
people will listen to anything if there told to thats the secret ...sometimes i hate music
im going to become a author
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 11:16:00 AM »
I can see where you're coming from Tina, and in some ways I agree. But on the other hand, not every musician is scrambling over 5 mins of fame; some are just making music for the love of it.

And sites like the listening post give us all the opportunity to listen to independent music that's made by people who are probably quite a lot like us. Some probably hanker after fame more than others, but who becomes successful and who doesn't isn't really the point as far as I see it. I get to hear some new music I like every week by following the listening post.

I think our expectations can really get in the way of just enjoying music sometimes. Of course I'd like to enjoy enough success to carry on making music without having to do other work, but if I don't I hope I won't stop enjoying making my music.

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 09:43:51 PM »
Not sure whether this is the right thread, but since the title mentions Tom Robinson I have to ask if anyone has heard his track Power In The Darkness (the original track, not the 2004 politically correct version) - obviously wouldn't get radio play nowadays - but a great track nevertheless.  Song with innocence, i believe.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
A track I recorded with a band I was with about eight years ago is supposed to be being played on Tom's show this week. The singer has continued to promote the stuff and informs me he's been successful in getting on it. I really don't know much else about it - the song is called 'Shandy Bass West Cliff On Sea'. I did a support slot for The Tom Robinson band in about 1978 (groan!) and he was a thoroughly nice chap.
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.