Forum album

• 14 Replies

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »
Anyone think this might be a good idea...a forum album...12 tracks..

Sure there will be mayhem,crushed egos..blood etc..but theres got to be a good cd or 2`s worth of material floating around....costs would have to be met though...it as to be v.good quality..

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:44:14 AM »
It seems like a good idea actually. I have nothing to contribute myself, of course, but I definitely think we should go for it.
Defective Elector

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
are you mad ;D
this would be like introducing rabies to the forum
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:28:02 PM »
Hmm, has the potential to disgruntle methinks  :D

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
Good in theory , but i think in reality people are going to be pissed off when their songs dont get in,
they'll say  "oh dont worry , i'm not really bothered "   but really they'll feel pissed off and rejected ,or is it dejected ?
i wouldn't be bothered if mine didn't get in.............or would i ??  :D :D ;D

I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »
Good in theory , but i think in reality people are going to be pissed off when their songs dont get in,
they'll say  "oh dont worry , i'm not really bothered "   but really they'll feel pissed off and rejected ,or is it dejected ?
i wouldn't be bothered if mine didn't get in.............or would i ??  :D :D ;D

Depends, maybe not everyone would want to be on it.
Perhaps 2 albums. Then it can be split a bit more by genre/similar types of songs..

For it to come out good, the songs should probably be mixed and mastered

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »
Maybe start a thread for people to put their name down if they want a song featured. Once that list is made, each signed up member could post a thread offering a choice of three of their songs. People can then listen and choose which is the best. Each person will then have their 'best' or most popular song allocated to the album. Mastering/rerecording can then be done to get each song up to standard. Even if it's a double album, people who want to be on it, will be on it. Therefore no thrown dummies...

Just an idea.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 05:50:39 PM »
Firstly ...how much would it cost to produce ..say a 1000 units ..maybe 15 songs...with all the mastering etc...i`m sure some of our studio guys will know....

Secondly....it has to the best ..thats been played on here....plus i wouldn`t advise on mixing genre`s too extremes...a rap song next to mellow country song isn`t going to appeal ..i don`t think..

It should also be able to wipe it`s face at least..1000 units at £5 each= £5.000..?

I think a panel  of 3 ...should choose the songs ..with a second panel of 2..to review the choices and advice on any good songs that maybe over looked....

I think it`s doable and would be interesting..

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Firstly ...how much would it cost to produce ..say a 1000 units ..maybe 15 songs...with all the mastering etc...i`m sure some of our studio guys will know....

Secondly....it has to the best ..thats been played on here....plus i wouldn`t advise on mixing genre`s too extremes...a rap song next to mellow country song isn`t going to appeal ..i don`t think..

It should also be able to wipe it`s face at least..1000 units at £5 each= £5.000..?

I think a panel  of 3 ...should choose the songs ..with a second panel of 2..to review the choices and advice on any good songs that maybe over looked....

I think it`s doable and would be interesting..

Well if there are a couple of friendly forumites to mix n master it then that would save money.
To get the CDs professionally duplicated for 1000 units it will cost between 1000 - 1800 GBP depending on the packaging you choose

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 07:28:48 PM »
I guess it's a question of what 'The Forum' wants to actually create. If it's a proper, professionally produced CD, manufactured in units of a thousand then there are all kinds of things to resolve.
ie.
Who pays to make it?
Who would actually buy it? (apart from forumites)
Are the feature acts looking for fame (or just a bit of fun)?
Who gets any royalties? (if any)

IMO it may be cheaper (virtually free) to allow as many entrants in as wants to enter, choose each entrant's best song and use the forum expertise to produce and master the tracks that need it. Then create a bandcamp page or similar (like the Pawprint page) to showcase and offer downloads. If demand is strong, CD's can be made at a later date or people can download and make their own.

I guess if it happens, we need to decide if it's for fun or for fame (& money)

The money route is serious stuff and would require investment, with possibly no return.

The fun route is still serious, because it's a showcase for the talent and ability of the forum, but is open to far less risk.

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:18:44 PM »
I don't want to be a party pooper but...

The thing is who would actually buy it. It's a lovely idea but in terms of funding it or even recouping the funds I don't know who we would market it at?  People tend to buy compilations which are based on a theme, hence how pawprint will work,but a compilation of different artists with differents styles and incorporating different themes could be a really hard sell.

What do you think?

Flossie

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 08:23:40 PM »
I don't want to be a party pooper but...

The thing is who would actually buy it. It's a lovely idea but in terms of funding it or even recouping the funds I don't know who we would market it at?  People tend to buy compilations which are based on a theme, hence how pawprint will work,but a compilation of different artists with differents styles and incorporating different themes could be a really hard sell.

What do you think?

Flossie

That's why I think, if it happened, it would need to be primarily for fun, as a showcase, so we could say we were on an album and to cross-promote to each others established audiences (if any ;) )

A difficult one..

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 08:39:30 PM »
I could answer some of these questions,,but i`m thinking about  of this from a new angle ..and i want to work it out before i say something... :)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »
 who would buy it ...come on it would only be the people who were on it...so if you were to produce 1000 cds youd have to have 1000 people on it to stand a chance of breaking even...i thought i was silly but this is just deluded
who here has actualy got a audience? ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
who would buy it ...come on it would only be the people who were on it...so if you were to produce 1000 cds youd have to have 1000 people on it to stand a chance of breaking even...i thought i was silly but this is just deluded
who here has actualy got a audience? ;D

Yeah. get a 1000 singers...chip in £1.80 each , and make a cd. brilliant.. :D

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:45:59 PM by songsthatcry »