konalavadome

"Pictures of Me" by Nick Bauer

• 13 Replies

Nick Bauer

• Busker
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
Hi all! i'm new here and here is one of the first songs i had a crack at recording. It was literally the first time i had picked up a bass so i know there is room for improvement there. Most of my songs seem to just happen and if i think about them afterwards i might get some kind of meaning. This one put me in mind of like deeply melancholic rock stars (idols), nameley Syd Barrett. Would love to hear what you guys thought.

Pictures of Me

v
How did he get there
How did he get into the trees, so lonely

Recite, recite
Bill will make your mind more narrow

c
When it all doesn't work out in the end
Tell me why do you just sigh
Tell me why do people pry

v
I caught a spider
I caught a spiders fall on camera

I look upon false idols
They say i wanna be your guide

c
Tell me why do you just sigh
Tell me why do people pry

http://soundcloud.com/nickbauer/pictures-of-me

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
HI,it`s a good song but needed to be cut loose about 3/4`s way through and really fly....but it didn`t.

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 09:29:43 PM »
Hi Nick,

I love it, so raw. I'm a sucker for this kind of thing, sounds very retro but current too if that makes sense.

I can so tell how much you love it too - and as an aside I laughed at your comment on soundcloud 'because I'm cool like that'. Great production is a great thing, but when I started (I'm 40 in February), I was recording into a single tape player with a proper shitty mic and I thought I sounded like god, and that was all that mattered!

Reminds me in places of Turin Brakes, Nick Drake, Reef (a random mix I know), but with its' own edge. Very different lyrically to anything I'd write or be able to write. I'm more into my cliches!

Good to be in conversation buddy, I shall look forward to hearing more,

Richy.

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »
It's a nice write and welcome to the forum my friend. It's very riff based and that's not a bad thing but I feel as though it was used a little too much and if you went some where else as suggested by songsthatcry  and then came back to the base riff just to take the song out it would have benefited from it. A nice first post however and I look forward to more.

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 10:55:35 PM »
Nice work.  :)

Now I'm an old bloke. This track brought back memories of 1984 and a great underrated band called "The Sound". So your bass playing does the business.
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
That is an absolutely FANTASTIC vocal performance! well done

The song itself is nice but you could show it off so much better with a good production

Find yourself a drummer and jam this song - with that vocal it will really take off!!

I look forward to hearing more
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Nick Bauer

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 12:15:02 AM »
Thankyou all for your nice comments and also your criticisms. I completely understand what you are saying with it being the same riff over and over. Thing is i'm so lazy when it comes to lead guitar or maybe even a little scared to vary on the one riff that iv'e got that i actually like. Haha being compared to the likes of Nick Drake and The Sound has put a huge smile on my face, though Turin Breaks and Reef i am not yet aquainted with although i suspect i will be soon (I'm a complete music junkie as you can probably tell from me being 24 and knowing who The Sound are). I am actually in a band i could jam this with, though i don't know what the other members would think as they are into a more alternative/grungie sound, but I will definitely bring it up with them. Cheers guys  :)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:47:46 AM »
Hi Nick.

Really good vocal - got a distinctive sound.
I liked the guitars. Haven't got a problem with the repeating riff. Could perhaps just vary the end of it sometimes. Definitely wants the full band treatment.

All the best,

Digger

Dutchbeat

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »
Great vocal, catchy tune

i was hoping from drums to kick in somewhere

well done, Nick

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
Nice guitar sound on the lead work. Your vocal has a great tone but you have some tuning issues occasionally. As a rough draft, it has promise.

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »
ah am diggin those guitar riffs on this like! pretty good song like!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 11:17:07 PM »
Nice guitar sound on the lead work. Your vocal has a great tone but you have some tuning issues occasionally. As a rough draft, it has promise.

Yup, agree with this. But, the character is there which is sometimes more vital than perfect pitching

This is solid riff based writing that shows promise in its raw form. Get yourself a full band and book a studio to let this sing!! A decent producer will help you along no end with this. The openness for backing vocals, ahhs, harmonies, layers, and general embellishments is clear to my producer ears. The kind of songs producers love to have dropped on them as everyone can have fun and get an awesome result.

Great 1st post and welcome to the forum, it's lovely here 'tis!
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 08:43:55 PM »
Hi Nick

I love your voice, it is really distinctive, the song is  quite good but it needs to develop a bit more to be really great, otherwise it is all on one level - needs a changy bit!!! (middle eight bridge, too tired tonight!!)

Oh but it is reallly cool though and I bet you wear drainpipe jeans, you do, don't you?

Flossie
x
(may as well finish my bottle of wine in the fridge I feel all rock n' roll now!!!)

Nick Bauer

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
Cheers Flossie. Haha i wear regular jeans actually, but i have had the same pair on "for four days now"        (Its probably more like 4 months haha) very very rock n roll/unclean/i have no money for more.