Metro-sexual

• 6 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
Ok.... this is a song I've had for a while. It was inspired by some of the pretty boys at my local gym and is geared as a critique of the Essex and Chelsea boys and the like. It's a bit outside the box but that's what I aim for. I'm trying to get a producer to produce this (sent it to one months ago and haven't heard back!lol)  along the lines of an Electro/Pop/Dance type song in the style of Gangnum Style or LMFAO stuff. Seems crazy but so are the aforementioned songs and they seem to make enough money! Gearing t towards someone like Chico from X Factor etc and I'm probably biased but I think this is crazy enough to work (just a small matter of getting a killer beat to it!). Honest and constructive feedback wanted so I can decide whether to take this one further or simply write it off as a horrendous idea and waste of time!

Metro-sexual   ©Hearty 2012

V1
Don’t wanna get my hands dirty,
Don’t ever wanna turn 40,
Even just thinking ‘bout 30,
Will be like death for me,
Hey let’s stop the clock,
Let me work on my 6 pack,
And if I get ‘round the block,
Botox will turn the clock back

PC
Hell yeah I’m irresistible,
My body’s pretty incredible,
Oh yeah I’m irresistible,
All ‘cos I’m metro-sexual,

C
I’m metro-metro-metro-sexual,
I’m metro-metro-metro-sexual

V2
Sun tanning on the beach,
Don’t go near the water,
Lying on sun beds all week,
Getting my appearance in order,
Oh yeah I’m worth that effort,
I do look after myself,
I know what ya look for,
My looks, my clothes, my health

PC
Hell yeah I’m irresistible,
My body’s pretty incredible,
Oh yeah I’m irresistible,
All ‘cos I’m metro-sexual,

C

B
Hey girl don’t see me as a threat,
You be my Posh and I’ll be your Becks,
So let’s get together girl,
We’ll look like pure sex yeah

C
I’m proud to be, proud to be, proud to be
Metro-sexual,
I’m proud to be, proud to be, proud to be
Metro-sexual
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:45:48 PM by Sing4me88 »

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
It's a little bit clever in some places, but it takes a pretty unpleasant stance on the whole thing. You don't actually paint metrosexuality as a bad thing, you just describe it (somewhat) and say it's a bad thing, which isn't a good way to approach things like this. To suggest something as innocent as men putting time and effort into appearance is universally bad is a poor way of expressing a view.

If the song had a story of 'I don't like this, and here's why' rather then 'This is what it is, and I don't like it' it would be a much better piece IMO.
Defective Elector

Dead Weight

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »
I like it. :D Like the arrangement of the verses.

I don't necessarily think that Sing4me88 needs to qualify his mickey-take of Gym-bums in his lyrics.  It will need to come out with the right beat to point it that way.  As he says, Gangnum Style, or LMFAO-esque track would pretty much nail it.  But that's the problem with posting lyrics.  We only supply half of the song.

I think Sing4me is not criticising going to the gym, but the shallow gym-bums, who spend more time posing, drinking protein-shakes, or trying to bench-press the max weights, than just exercising for their health.

That's the connection I'm getting...

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:42:52 PM »
Feedback noted. I'm not saying that taking pride in appearance is a bad thing far from it. I go to the gym several times a week like to wear 'nice' clothes and spruce up so I'm not in a position to cast aspersions about anyone else doing the same. It's really a critique not only on the metrosexual but also on the negative views others hold of the metrosexual. Some of the lines are inspired by negative comments I've heard others make time and again about Essex boys etc and whilst I do not necessarily agree with them I find them somewhat funny and amusing and thought of turning them into a song.

The song really is not intended to be distasteful or offensive but just a light hearted laugh at male grooming much like 'Sexy and I know it' and the likes.

Hopes this clarifies and I will consider your comments and try to work them in to better the lyrics.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:49:05 PM »
I like it. :D Like the arrangement of the verses.

I don't necessarily think that Sing4me88 needs to qualify his mickey-take of Gym-bums in his lyrics.  It will need to come out with the right beat to point it that way.  As he says, Gangnum Style, or LMFAO-esque track would pretty much nail it.  But that's the problem with posting lyrics.  We only supply half of the song.

I think Sing4me is not criticising going to the gym, but the shallow gym-bums, who spend more time posing, drinking protein-shakes, or trying to bench-press the max weights, than just exercising for their health.

That's the connection I'm getting...

Thanks for the encouragement. You've nailed it bang on the head. The intention is not to deride someone for exercising but to expose some of the folly for what it is simple vanity... I mean when I go to the gym my hair is all over the place, my beard is unkempt etc yet there's guys walking in with matching tracksuits and runners, fake tan, every hair perfectly gelled, wearing the finest cologne all for the gym!!! Best of all they spend more time admiring themselves in the mirror than actually doing any exercise.
As I said the aim is to ridicule this stupidity but also to ridicule some of the criticisms (possibly born out of jealous) of such a mentality ;)

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:24:27 PM »

The song really is not intended to be distasteful or offensive but just a light hearted laugh at male grooming much like 'Sexy and I know it' and the likes.

That does make a lot more sense. I think in that tone the words take on a whole new meaning. Maybe I was just in a mood where everything looked like a scathing critique earlier.
Defective Elector

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »

That does make a lot more sense. I think in that tone the words take on a whole new meaning. Maybe I was just in a mood where everything looked like a scathing critique earlier.

No worries. That's the problem with lyrics it's very hard to convey the tongue-in-cheek and light hearted nature when they're just words on a screen. Hoping to get a good beat like Gangnum Style or the likes to it that helps contribute to the whole tongue-in-cheek nature of the lyrics. :)