a time to reflect (Pawprint Challenge)

• 12 Replies

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« on: October 25, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »
http://www.musicxray.com/xrays/843838

Hello there!

This is my entry for the paw print challenge. It's called 'a time to reflect'.  I know it's not strictly a song so if that disqualifies this as a competition entry, then so be it. I won't be offended. I'm simply  pleased to be able to offer something for this good cause!  I hope that it is suitable for the project.

I'd like to record some of the guitars again. I'm not totally happy with the sound of the lead classical or acoustic. Anyway, I hope you enjoy listening.

habiTat, if you'd like to write lyrics for this then please send me a personal message so that we can exchange emails.  You might struggle a little as it was strictly written as an instrumental.  It probably lacks sufficient variation for a song, though you could successfully write lyrics and melody if you use the structure creatively.  

thanks for listening!

http://www.musicxray.com/xrays/843838
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:00:19 PM by Paul »

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »
This is a great piece of music Paul.....I can hear a spoken narrative here, accompanied by images of abandoned dogs maybe. If anything, I think there should be more of it ;D..beautiful music mate, I can definitely hear a gentle, caring personality, at work here;D....loving it
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Dutchbeat

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »
great piece of music! i think the guitar is outstanding
a good mix of happy and sad (...for a video i see happy dogs running in slow motion, alternated with images of dogs in cages)

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »
This is quite stunning Paul

Emotive , beautifully arranged and played ;D

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »
Why on earth would this not be suitable for the project? This is awesome!  ;D
I could totally hear this as a film score of some sort, it's full of melancholy and suspense, you did a great job here
If someones decides to make a video for the project (DB?) I vote for this song to accompany it.
Extraordinary guitar playing and a beautiful and intriguing arrangement - congrats !

One bit of critique: For me the strings in the beginning and the recurring piano theme sound a bit too staccato, stand out of the mix a bit too much. I'd try putting more reverb or a subtle delay on those.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
Nice bit of music that.

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 11:27:57 PM »
I'm so surprised at how well this has been received.  I sent this to Kafla earlier in the week and he kindly said that he thought this was beautiful.  Still, I felt very unsure about presenting this instrumental to the forum. 

Hi Bin, 

That's a great suggestion about including a spoken narrative.  I thank you sincerely for the lovely comment that you included at the end of your review.   :)

Thanks Dutch,  as ever, you are very kind with your review!  :)

Cheers Kafla!

Hi Michael,

I was feeling a little bit insecure about presenting this. It's easy to feel safe about posting songs when you're using tried and tested structures.  An instrumental can also follow similar methods but I tried to make this very simple.  There are only really two sections.  The second is repeated multiple times with small additions to the instrumentation until the end of the song.  I suppose I was uncertain about this being suitable as I haven't relied on lyrics to clarify what my composition represents.  I am delighted that you enjoyed listening so much! :-)

Thanks songsthatcry cry for listening and posting your support! :)

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
Paul,

Sorry for the delay in reviewing. Mate this is beautiful. I might not be able to but If I get time I'd love to do some lyrics/vocals, or at least have a go. I can almost hear the words, or at least the vocal melody when I listen. As a stand alone piece though it is really nice, it tugs on the heart strings all on it's own. I'll PM you.

hab..

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 01:50:14 PM »
A very moving and well-crafted piece Paul. Your talents continue to flourish.

The arrangement is very accomplished and the guitar playing as always is bang on the mark. I do agree with Michael about the beginning though - even before I read his comment I was thinking to myself that all that stoccato is just crying out for a legato cello or similar to glue it all together.

Very very well done mate :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »
Oh that classical guitar gets me every time, so lovely.  It's great how you build on the initial theme and it grows and develops, it shows real musical talent and you should be really proud of yourself here.

Flossie
x

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »
why did you hide his away here & not post it in the reviews section paul ...i missed it
yes i love the classical guitar aswell that realy stands out for me
i think it would work realy well with a spoken vocal as a intro to the pawprint album
the only bit i didnt like so much was that same repeated keyboard  line going on for so much of the song over the chords....it went on to long :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

waspfromipanema

• Global Moderator
  • Busker
  • I'm Cathy, Tone's wife.
    • Once Loved Dog Rescue
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 08:07:45 AM »
what's happened to the song? I followed the link and it's not there?

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 08:16:00 AM »
Yeah, Ive been trying to listen to this but its not there, some sort of error.  When you sort it out please bump this entry back to the top so the rest of us can have listen.

Thanks mate,

Allan.