konalavadome

Tattoos: General opinion? Who has any?

• 26 Replies

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »
Hi folks

Just wondering: what do you guys think about tattoos?
I've been thinking about it for a few years and would like to get one at some point, but at the same time, it might be a disadvantage when I'll have to find a job next year?
If anyone of you has any: have you ever experienced problems with it?

SD

PS: I know it's a cliché for musicians to have tattoos, but it's a personal design, not some pre-designed tattoo shop picture...
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:41:42 AM »
Don't have one, do want one, would rather wait. I want to be extra sure it's something I want, and then I'll check again, just in case.

If you feel like getting jobs would be an issue, get the tattoo somewhere largely unseen.

Also (pet peeve)
I've been thinking about it for a few years and would like to get one at some point, but at the same time, it might be a disadvantage when I'll have to find a job next year?
That is not a question, do not use a question mark. If you intend on using a questioning tone, re-phrase it as a question. There is no way of conveying tone online so do not attempt to do so.

So yeah, if you want a personal design then get in touch with a good tattoo artist and take the time to work with them on finalising the design before getting it done.
Defective Elector

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »

That is not a question, do not use a question mark. If you intend on using a questioning tone, re-phrase it as a question. There is no way of conveying tone online so do not attempt to do so.

Don't preach. It can be read as a question.

I dont wanna tattoo for personal reasons, not anything to do with a job.

IMO, if you come in to an interview with the devil drawn across your face, that might not play in your favour.....

But most people tend to have tattoos in places that are easily hidden (i.e. not face, hands or neck)...

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »
Hi Stephanie,
It's a personal choice of course. You're asking for our opinions and here is mine.
I really don't like tattoos, for a number of reasons. Firstly they always seem to turn a shade of green with age, they are expensive to remove and you may regret having that quirky design visible in 30 years time, or when your grand kids might see it. I'm not sure on your location, I think I read you're in Belgium..? (yes that was a question ;) ) but in the UK, despite being a very open society I think it does affect your employment prospects. My next door neighbour has one of those tribal hook shaped tattoos around his eye and a snake scale design and dragons etc all up his neck and arms. He is also unemployed and struggling to find work to support his young family. He's in his 40's and must, to some degree regret the decisions he made to have them done when he was younger. To an employer he might as well have 'don't employ me' tattooed on his face. Obviously ( I assume) you're not thinking about facial stuff but it's an extreme case of the same point. Another thing to consider is that (I have friends who've told me this) it can become quite addictive, like a buzz from getting it done or something..

If that is you in your picture you are a pretty young lady and I would advise against it. :)

That's just my opinion though, so it's up to you.

Btw. I read that as a question so don't take any notice. If we are all going to start critiquing each others grammar as well as the music we'll be here forever :)

Hab..

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »
I've had a bad day, and had just finished wading through the most awful message from an old high school acquaintance making pot shots that was riddled with those 'not questions'. I know it can be read in such a way that your 'internal voice' says it with a questioning tone, but that's not what a question mark is for and it's a huuuuuge pet peeve of mine (this is more serious than making sure the volume is on an even number :P ) so sorry for the jab out of nowhere.

But yes, tattoos. Don't do the whole 'face/head/neck' thing, it screams 'criminal' no matter how untrue that may be. A small shoulder design would probably be fine. If you want more space use the back. If you want something more discreet for bikini season, go for the ankle.
Defective Elector

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:37:02 PM »
No worries, I would never go for the face or the neck. That is quite extreme and not the point at all.
I would get a tattoo that means smt to me, not just to shock people or to get attention.
If I were to get one, I would probably go for wrist or ankle.

This is my design, in case I decide:

What do you think (apart from being pro or contra on the actual tattoo idea  ;) )? (That's a real question :p )

SD

PS: Hab, yes it's me in the picture. I'm 21 in case you're wondering ;). Last year at Uni.
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »
I have 4 and I love them

Each means something different and reminds me of something in my life

They can all be hidden as well  ;D

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »

PS: Hab, yes it's me in the picture. I'm 21 in case you're wondering ;). Last year at Uni.

Ahh youth... enjoy it while you can, past 30 it's all downhill hehe :D

Obviously your design has a musical link which is cool, not that I think it's a good idea you understand ;)

If you do decide to do it, I'd advise against the wrist as this may cause issues with work, plus it's harder to cover up in the summer months if you need to. You don't want to end up in a job where you're stuck wearing long sleeves in a hot, non-air conditioned office or something.. So I'd say ankle is the better of the two, better still higher up, out of the way ;) or better better still, not at all  :D

Maybe draw it on where you'd like it with an ink pen and see how you feel having it there for a few days.. Or even henna, if you can find somewhere to do it or a kit or something. That stuff lasts a few months and will give you an idea of whether you are happy to live with it. Once it fades, if you still want it, get it done then. :)

hab..

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »
Never seen a tattoo that doesn't end up just looking like a bruise or a dirty mark.  :(
It's a semi-permanent mark.  Would you buy a T-shirt you could never take off or underwear that you never removed??

And why on earth do some people have names tattooed on the back of their neck? Is it so they can be identified when they are face down throwing up in the toilet?  ??? Might just be a British thing that one. ;D

Now, I've dyed my hair, it's been down to my waist and cut really short. I've had an earring and even tried to grow a beard and my fashion sense in the 80's was awful. But I'm older now and the need to shock had lessened and none of these things was difficult to undo. A tattoo is.

If your going to get a tattoo firstly, can you honestly and completely answer this question...... WHY DO YOU WANT ONE?   ;)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 10:27:04 PM »
Its the damned awful tattoos that women are getting...like half their bodies...they look like gangbangers.....but over all it`s a fashion statement thats gone out of control...

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »
hmmm >:( I have a tattoo and wish I'd never had it done. It's a stupid tattoo, it's ugly
and no one including me likes it. I do get asked once in a blue moon if I've ever been in The Hells Angels because of it. The worst thing is it is unoriginal.  :(
I see a lot of women having tattoo's these days and I find it horrible. I hate to agree with Songsthatcry but I do. It ruins womens femininity, what's left of it these days.
Everyone seems to be getting those tribal type tattoos which they think makes them unique and interesting, but now everyone has them so the people without them are interesting in my eyes.  :P
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 12:46:02 AM »
 ive got one ...i thought it was cool & original when i was younger ...now i realise its just a cliche
i think its the mark of a idiot i honestly think you are branding yourself as a idiot when you get a tattoo done...its like advertising to the world i am desperate to fit in & look like evryone else but all you hear is your vanity saying im special i need a tattoo to make it obvious
i think tattoos look better on men but the full sleeve tattoos that you have to have if you want to be a serious rock star or footballer are a turn of for me & must cost a  fortune ....so maybe its a way of now saying hey look how rich i am
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 01:12:33 AM »
I'm not being a sexist at all but personally I find tattoos on women a huge turn-off. I was thinking of getting my first one when I'm 60 just because that's an odd thing to do....
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 01:23:08 AM »
They're a big  fashion thing , at the moment .
in forty years time you'll have all these wrinkled old ladies walking around with big blue smudges all over them  :D :D
they're not for me .
this bloke looks like he fell asleep and a maniac with a magic marker set to work on him !!

make sure your tattoo artist can spell ,

I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 07:30:53 AM »
One thing about your design occurs to me... You are only 21, in 30 years time, headphones that look like that may have completely disappeared due to fashion or technological advances. It could end up being a bit like having a wind-up gramophone tattooed on you when you will still be younger than I am now! haha...
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.