Gig, and a suggestion :)

• 9 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »
Hey Board

Firstly, a cheeky advert. I am playing an acoustic gig along with three other acoustic/Folky artists this Thursday in Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire. Listing here:

http://www.facebook.com/events/317707648336056/

...Should anyone be local and fancy it!

And secondly, an idea:

Perhaps a sticky thread for posting gigs? Forum subsection? Or are individual threads in "The Bar" best, I don't know?!

I am aware we are all spread far and wide across the UK (and beyond!) but (a) some of us must be local to one another and (b) as Tone has mentioned, there are a fair few "silent" types that view but never really post on here. So who knows it might be a useful thing? :)

JN xx
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:53:35 PM »
I've also wondered about a gigs section. I don't know if many of us get out and play regularly, but I'm all for using the forum to promote your gigs.

How about we use the bar for now, and if it gets overcrowded I'll create a new section.

Also a good idea to put your name, venue and date of gig in the topic title.

Have a great gig, James :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:38:28 AM »
I think a 'gigs' board would be cool, but we first need the demand for one (play more gigs everyone!)

Also, we'd need some sort of thing whereby you can't post there until you have, say, 100 posts. Otherwise people will just spam it for self-promotion purposes.
Defective Elector

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »
I'm against imposing minimum post counts for this - my reason being that they encourage spam.

I'd much rather work on a trust basis, and if anyone abuses the forum, I'll just ban their ass.

I see no problem with people promoting their gigs on this forum.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:06:39 PM »
That's why I suggested 100, it's low enough that anyone dedicated to the forum etc etc can reach it easily but high enough to discourage spammers.

And tbh, if anyone has the dedication to make 100 spam posts (bearing in mind you have to wait something like 30 or 60 seconds between posts) then they deserve to make one silly topic in the gigs board.

Basically, I'm worried that by letting anyone post gigs we'll get a bunch of Johhny-come-lately 'come watch my show plz' promoters who do nothing but post a gig topic and leave. It would just generate too much clutter.
Defective Elector

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 04:53:42 PM »
i agree with the Corsair...only real forumites should be allowed to promote their gigs

and if someone is going for making a 100 spam posts for it, we (well, our great administrators!) have ample time to book them and ban them from the forum for life

but this thread gave me one of those weird Dutchbeat ideas again...

do you want to hear it?

no?

well, here it is anyway  ;D

would it be possible to have a live gig via this forum once in a while?

i mean of one of the members...i liked listening to Tone's performance on the radio a lot!

but the communication with other members during that was difficult, let alone with the performing artist afterwards...

would anyone of the better live performers of this forum be brave enough to arrange a life gig for the forumites via skype....

announced well ahead, and we can really see a life performance of two or three songs live via skype?

just a weird idea, but would that be technically possible?...and would anybody be brave enough to perform in a setting like that?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:59:20 PM by Dutchbeat »

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »

Basically, I'm worried that by letting anyone post gigs we'll get a bunch of Johhny-come-lately 'come watch my show plz' promoters who do nothing but post a gig topic and leave. It would just generate too much clutter.

Agreed, that's why a dedicated gigs board would possibly not work. Spammers would google us, see the gigs board, join, then spam it up. At least with the bar, only those who use the forum know to promote gigs, not the wider world.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »

i mean of one of the members...i liked listening to Tone's performance on the radio a lot!

but the communication with other members during that was difficult, let alone with the performing artist afterwards...

would anyone of the better live performers of this forum be brave enough to arrange a life gig for the forumites via skype....

announced well ahead, and we can really see a life performance of two or three songs live via skype?

just a weird idea, but would that be technically possible?...and would anybody be brave enough to perform in a setting like that?

I like this idea!

My housemate is a net coder by trade so knows his stuff. I'll pick his brains soon over how this works.

My studio only has 3MB internet though at the moment (come on BT, upgrade my area to Fibre optic damn it!)

Once I have that I will be happy to be considered to do a live set sometime. And perhaps host anyone local forumites if they want to broadcast.

The next question is how to rig my desk into my laptop for sound. Pretty sure the internal sound interface will be terrible!....
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »

I like this idea!

My housemate is a net coder by trade so knows his stuff. I'll pick his brains soon over how this works.

My studio only has 3MB internet though at the moment (come on BT, upgrade my area to Fibre optic damn it!)

Once I have that I will be happy to be considered to do a live set sometime. And perhaps host anyone local forumites if they want to broadcast.

The next question is how to rig my desk into my laptop for sound. Pretty sure the internal sound interface will be terrible!....

Pomplamoose do their live online shows via StageIt:
http://www.stageit.com/

Not quite sure how it works, but there we go...

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »
Re. the live stream thing, I've just done some googling and found this. It looks to be free so might be worth investigating. All you need is a connection, pc and webcam.

http://www.ustream.tv/new

..and this is a guide on how it works..

http://www.eventzilla.net/blog/index.php/2011/05/24/how-to-broadcast-your-event-live-using-ustream-for-free/

hab..