"Ghost Town" (Live) - James Nighthawk

• 26 Replies

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 10:28:24 AM »
Great lyrics (especially like the part before the last break), great performance, and a very professional looking video to go with it - loving it !
The best part for me was the ending, very eerie melody there that goes great with the lyrics - would have like to hear that part earlier in the song too, not just at the end.

I usually prefer fully produced studio versions with lots of instruments over live versions, but I think this really works the way it is.
The only thing I could imagine to improve this would be some vocal harmonies - but I understand that's quite hard to do on your own ;-)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 12:47:15 PM »
great work, as always, James!

weird but effective chords

also like the film a lot, that filming of details that get in and out of focus

perfect camera work!!!

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 01:31:38 AM »
@Habitat

Thanks for the thinking points.
I have read that the blondie drummer refused to play to a click because he, well, couldnt! Much of the commercial Blondie material was arranged from single drum hits and parts sewn togther as the drummer was ropey timing wise. I may have been misinformed, but their background isn't one of musical excellence. Great songs tho!

@Boydie

Yup, it was a decision, not an accident to go elex. I like the way the melody line on the guitar "Snaps" thru on elex. But, yes, it does work acoustic. And I shall be playing it live at my next gig this week on acoustic :)

Glad you like the "indian" chords. I have no idea what they are. I like composing blind sometimes; moving up the neck and leaving some strings open is a great way to do this I find.

@Dutch, Serious, Michael

Many thanks

I have passed on the compliment to my pal on video recording and editing. I am in awe of what he achieved. We did this shoot with one hand held camera. He stitched parts together to do cut aways (Thank god I have rehearsed the tempos for syncing!) And the audio is from one take only, no cheating. But yes, he did me proud  ;D
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »
mellow , cool  nice one james  ;)
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »
Hi James

Lovely guitar tone! And very nice chord sequence.

I'm not sure about the guitar break - particularly the bit where you switch between the minor and major third. I know what you're trying to do with this, but it's not working in my opinion. Better to play a variation on the existing guitar part - maybe move it into a minor for that section?

I also think there might be a conflict of atmospheres in this song. The whole ghost town thing doesn't seem to sit well with the idea of peaceful solitude. And for me, that makes the song a bit schizophrenic (maybe that was your intention).

I want my ghost town to be like The Shining, but yours is more like a Japanese Zen garden with a bad feng shui (sorry for the ridiculous analogy - it's been a long day). By which I mean it's kind of sinister and happy. Which for me is confusing.

Aside from all of the above, the song has a memorable melody and a great guitar feel for the main part.

Nice work :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »
I also think there might be a conflict of atmospheres in this song. The whole ghost town thing doesn't seem to sit well with the idea of peaceful solitude. And for me, that makes the song a bit schizophrenic (maybe that was your intention).

I'd be lying if I were to say it was predetermined. The way I write, often the song takes me with it and all I can do it control the reins. But, I am very delighted with your analysis here.

As mentioned the song is in the first person, but written about someone else. The solitude of another reflecting upon the changes in my life. Equally however, I am a person who is very happy with my own company, so the peacefullness is there too. So the conflict is definitely there. Even if it wasn't planned

How each person reads the song is down to them, and all are welcomed  :)
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 09:32:56 PM »
Totally agree - sometimes it's better not to have a clue what the song is really about so you can form your own relationship to it.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

melodybeals

• Busker
  • My bandmate giving me kisses :)
    • Not Supposed To Be Here
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »
ABSOLUTELY LOVELY. I subbed your youtube AND facebook.
The Earth without "ART" is just "Eh". -unknown

-Melody Beals

www.facebook.com/wearenotsupposedtobehere

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »
I'm not so much into this one.
I dont think there is too much going on in the melody and the fact that the guitar is basically ghosting the melody means there isn't too much interest in the song IMO.
I think when dealing with such sparse arrangements the instrument has to provide a counterpoint to the melody, weaving in and out and adding interest of it's own.
The melody here is very spacious - not a lot of words with space inbetween for other things to happen, but it has a fairly narrow range and I dont know if those 2 comibnations work well together.

Although..it is very atmospheric which is nice and you maybe need that space to build the atmosphere

I like the use of electric guitar rather than acoustic and the tone is very nice.
It does grow on you a little bit after a couple of listens and there are nice touches

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »
@Andy, Melody

cheers (from) Big ears!

@Ramsy

Yup, Sparse indeed. The sparsest (is that a word?!) thing I have written. The atmosphere and the odd chord voicing are the reason I persevered and still have a place in my heart/set for this track. Don't worry, I am not planning on taking this direction for all my work going forward, I have some lovely dense productions with harmony, counterpoint, etc to share over the coming months  ;D
And glad you liked to guitar Tone. That AC-30 was fooking pricey but it does sing with my 50's style strat!
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 07:04:08 PM »
I like it, i think its got character and is quite deep when you get into it, again production and video sweet as.I also liked the soloing ,it suits the ghostly theme well. Nice work James
Learner guitarist

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »
good stuff cant beat all this live stuff, i kinda dig the guitar work, kinda radiohead than the actual song, i think it will grow on me the song with more listens, not sure on the end probably would have been better playing the guitar out a bit more iust seemed to come and go the bit at the end but great stuff!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks